Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cyprien an "unsung hero"

Quote:Stats don't tell the whole story...

The analysts that have watched are games have commented on how well he has played this year, yet some of us continue to ignore this because it doesn't support our perception of him.

Some people don't like to admit to being wrong about something, pure and simple.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:The analysts that have watched are games have commented on how well he has played this year, yet some of us continue to ignore this because it doesn't support our perception of him.

Some people don't like to admit to being wrong about something, pure and simple.

I have to agree here. I've been saying Cyp is not as bad as people think. Heck I think he led the league in tackles for a DB.

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 07:02 PM by Caldrac.)

I am on the fence about him. He had his best year by far in 2016 but I am not sure what his asking price or value is truly worth at this point. Systematically he may or may not even fit in 2017 if Marrone insists Wash change up the overall style on defense. 

As far as replacing him. I am perfectly fine with Coughlin investing the number four overall selection on Hooker more than Adams. I think Hooker is the better player and play maker. He showed up more in 2016 than Adams did in my opinion. And a lot of people compare him to guys like Sean Taylor and Eric Berry because of his size and athletic ability.

And after seeing Ramsey's instant impact in our secondary despite a pretty weak and inconsistent front four I am all for adding another freak athlete to it. I don't think we'll see Garrett or Allen on the board when we select. And as much as I'd like to see an offensive weapon like Cook in our backfield. I think we'd be making a mistake in passing on Hooker. 

I think we could upgrade our running game later on. I'd [BAD WORD REMOVED] bricks if we drafted Malik Hooker on day one and landed DeMarcus Walker on day two at DE out of FSU. Would be cool to get Curtis Samuel in RD3 too out of OSU if he's still there. He's a bit of a hybrid RB/WR but he's more natural at it. Would give us more options and looks on offense. He's fast too. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Someone will overpay for Cyp. He plays hard, but takes some bad angles. He played better this year and i wouldnt have a problem with the Jags resigning him..but for how much?

Quote:Somebody please un-mute this thread...I can't hear a damn thing yall are saying.
What did you want? I can't hear a darn thing with this thread on mute.

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:We said the same thing about Reggie Nelson....look how that turned out. Our fan base is too jaded by his previous years to see how good he was this year.

You might be right. He played well for the most part. I don't know if I would resign him tho.

Quote:We said the same thing about Reggie Nelson....look how that turned out. Our fan base is too jaded by his previous years to see how good he was this year.
Reggie Nelson developed after he left Jax...he was bad when he was here.  The fan base was not "jaded" with Reggie.  Good for him that he was able to flourish later with another team.  

I hope for Cyprien, a nice guy, that he too will flourish with another team.  However, he will get paid more elsewhere, than what his performance has shown here.  He is a liability in coverage, and his tackling is improved, but is still usually "late".     

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 08:50 PM by Pwmccorm1216.)

He wasn't an unsung hero. He is a decent tackler when hes not whiffing and thats about it. He was essentially a first round pick ( first pic in 2nd round) and hasn't lived up to his selection. Hes a solid player but expendable and theres better options in the draft. 

I do not anticipate the Jaguars giving him a contract. 

He's a guy that your defense can be ok with as long as he is your 8th best starter or something
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 08:57 PM by Pwmccorm1216.)

Quote:Reggie Nelson developed after he left Jax...he was bad when he was here.  The fan base was not "jaded" with Reggie.  Good for him that he was able to flourish later with another team.  

I hope for Cyprien, a nice guy, that he too will flourish with another team.  However, he will get paid more elsewhere, than what his performance has shown here.  He is a liability in coverage, and his tackling is improved, but is still usually "late".     
Reggie Nelson never sucked and thats something Jaguars fans never grasped. Sure, he wasn't the smartest player and had trouble with his playbook when he first arrived. But the talent was always there. He was and is a ball hawk. He had 5 interceptions his first season here. He just needed a bit of individual coaching and he was good too go. Hes been a good NFL player. 

Nelson was part of the Gene Smith firehouse where everything went. Nelson was the last first round pick under Shack Harris. It was one of the many bad decisions Gene Smith made and most fans at the time agreed with Gene. Nelson should still be a Jaguar and its unfortunate a talent like that escaped us. Just goes to show you how bad the decision making has been for the Jaguars for the last decade. 

Cyp was a good run defender this year. He had a certain fearlessness when he knifed through traffic to meet the ball carrier as soon as possible. Effort is there and it's up to Cyp to keep it up.

Also, PFF rates him as the best run defending safety (for whatever that's worth).

If he isn't too expensive, I would take him back. his trajectory seems to be improving and lord knows we need some depth on this team. Not every play needs to be a superstar.

The Browns do this kind of crap, they wash out all of the decent and average players every couple years so you just get huge holes in the roster. Cyp is OKAY, and that's fine! 

Calling Deshawn Watson a future bust since 3/19/17. If I eat crow, I will keep this in here and proclaim JackCity a genius. 

Quote:http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...-each-team

I felt like he came on this year.  I'm probably in the minority and I wish he had a little better coverage skills but he's a big hitter and wasn't giving up big plays like he was last year.  Of course everyone thinks he sucks because the Jags had a bad season so everyone sucks, but I think he's fine unless we can get someone who's unquestionably an upgrade.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Everyone is upgradeable, you just have to consider the effort and resources it takes to find that upgrade and weigh that against how much more of an impact that upgrade will provide over what you currently have.

I don't think there are very many sure fire significant upgrades just waiting to be had and I don't see us throwing a high draft pick at that position.

Strong safety isn't a premium position. Sometimes you have to look at certain positions and decide if a player is good enough to get you where you want to go and then focus your resources on more integral positions. I think Cyprien is a good enough player right now and I think he still has his best football ahead of him.

Maybe it's because I watch more Jags than any other team, but Cyprien had to have lead the league in PI penalties on 3rd down.
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

He is getting better.  I would hate to not resign him and see him grow into a Chancelor clone with another team.  I thought he was a lot better in coverage this year but other teams seemed to come down with contested catches on him or he got called for ticky tacky penalties.

Go Jags!
*To stay up for atleast 2 years 3/6/17
2016 draft players I think will be good
  • On the Fournette train, will be best back of his class 3/6/17
  • Lattimore please,  Lockdowns on both sides would be nice
  • Engram at TE and the MJD clone Samaje Perine

Quote:Maybe it's because I watch more Jags than any other team, but Cyprien had to have lead the league in PI penalties on 3rd down.
Only if zero leads the league.

http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/j-cyp...?year=2016

Quote:Maybe it's because I watch more Jags than any other team, but Cyprien had to have lead the league in PI penalties on 3rd down.

I think this is a typical "everyone else is better than or guys" mentality.

Some would have you believe no one misses tackles, gives up any catches, etc..

I feel like people hating Cyp have never watched another NFL team and how bad a lot of SS really are. It could be so much worse. 

He's an above average SS. No need to let him walk and create another hole on our team. Resigning him should be a priority.