Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cyprien an "unsung hero"

Quote:Everyone is upgradeable, you just have to consider the effort and resources it takes to find that upgrade and weigh that against how much more of an impact that upgrade will provide over what you currently have.

I don't think there are very many sure fire significant upgrades just waiting to be had and I don't see us throwing a high draft pick at that position.

Strong safety isn't a premium position. Sometimes you have to look at certain positions and decide if a player is good enough to get you where you want to go and then focus your resources on more integral positions. I think Cyprien is a good enough player right now and I think he still has his best football ahead of him.

Well said.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I feel like people hating Cyp have never watched another NFL team and how bad a lot of SS really are. It could be so much worse.

Some of those folks should go back and watch some 2010 film when we were starting Courtney Greene and Don Carey.

Woof.

I actually think strong safety has become a premium position. Berry, Chancellor, Jefferson, Collins, Jenkins, Jones, Ward...these guys are game changers nowadays. 

If he walks, then that is another hole we have to fill.

Quote:If he walks, then that is another hole we have to fill.

Do you want to keep him for $5m/year in a split safety scheme?

(Or whatever the cost might be)

(This post was last modified: 01-25-2017, 04:00 AM by Predator.)

Quote:I actually think strong safety has become a premium position. Berry, Chancellor, Jefferson, Collins, Jenkins, Jones, Ward...these guys are game changers nowadays. 
No it hasn't.

There are more game changers in pretty much every other position on defense.

He's more than 'just a guy'...

...but not much more.

[Image: 5S5POfa.jpg]

80% of what I talk about is nonesense.. the other 25% is made up statistics...

Quote:Do you want to keep him for $5m/year in a split safety scheme?

(Or whatever the cost might be)

When money is involved it makes it tough to say. If we drafted Eddie Jackson then nah.

But if $5 million will keep him then I probably would say yes. Just bc that is one less position we have to fill.

Quote:I actually think strong safety has become a premium position. Berry, Chancellor, Jefferson, Collins, Jenkins, Jones, Ward...these guys are game changers nowadays. 

Who make next to no difference if all the other pieces aren't in place.

"premium" to a playoff team that's built, maybe...

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Premium players make the position look premium.

That still doesn't make the position itself premium.

Otherwise, all 22 are "premium" if you choose to play spin doctor that way.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:Only if zero leads the league.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/j-cyprien-jacksonville-jaguars?year=2016'>http://www.nflpenalties.com/player/j-cyprien-jacksonville-jaguars?year=2016</a>

Ouch lol

I think that if we can retain Cyprien and save ourselves having to spend a draft pick on another SS, then it's worth doing, He's far from being a weak link these days and we have much bigger holes to fill elsewhere.

But do we know yet how likely that is to happen? Have we got the chance to tie him up before free agency or is he definitely going to the open market?

(This post was last modified: 01-28-2017, 03:24 PM by JackCity.)

Look at the impact Kam and Keanu Neal have on this style of defense.

Cyps good at clean up duty but doesn't put fear into any receivers coming across the middle and is a big liability in coverage.

Wouldn't be hard to replace him at all.

If he signs for around 4 million or so I'd keep him , otherwise a draft pick / FA can replace him.

Quote:No it hasn't.

There are more game changers in pretty much every other position on defense.

I would not say SS is a premium position but it is definitely more important in the modern NFL where the passing game has evolved. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

But the question is, would we be better off spending draft picks on positions we need to improve, rather than a position where we really don't have a big problem?

And would a free agent SS be better (and cheaper) than re-signing Cyp?

He good. May never amount to much in Jax tho.

Quote:Look at the impact Kam and Keanu Neal and have on this style of defense.

Cyps good at clean up duty but doesn't put fear into any receivers coming across the middle and is a big liability in coverage.

Wouldn't be hard to replace him at all.

If he signs for around 4 million or so I'd keep him , otherwise a draft pick / FA can replace him.
Yep, he's barely passable in the most basic and unimpactful way you can use the position. 

People are going crazy to upgrade the RB position, but I find it really hard to argue that Cyp is a better SS than Ivory is a RB (when healthy ofc). 

Quote:Yep, he's barely passable in the most basic and unimpactful way you can use the position. 

People are going crazy to upgrade the RB position, but I find it really hard to argue that Cyp is a better SS than Ivory is a RB (when healthy ofc). 

#1 way to improve this team, other than improve the QB play, is to improve the speed and playmaking at RB (which of course helps improve the QB play).

You can win with Cyprien at his current level, and he has yet to hit his peak.  It took Kam awhile as well.  

As it sits right now, we have some of the worst speed at RB, outside run threat, and one of the worst screen games in the league.   Cook is likely a huge upgrade to all of that, even if he ends up as another Freeman.    I don't know if Fournette adds the same element.  

When I think of the ways most likely to have a dramatic element and improvement to this team, it is a multi-dimensional RB.

Quote:#1 way to improve this team, other than improve the QB play, is to improve the speed and playmaking at RB (which of course helps improve the QB play).

You can win with Cyprien at his current level, and he has yet to hit his peak.  It took Kam awhile as well.  

As it sits right now, we have some of the worst speed at RB, outside run threat, and one of the worst screen games in the league.   Cook is likely a huge upgrade to all of that, even if he ends up as another Freeman.    I don't know if Fournette adds the same element.  

When I think of the ways most likely to have a dramatic element and improvement to this team, it is a multi-dimensional RB.
I disagree with pretty much all of this. I think a potential game breaking pass rusher or safety would win us more games than a potential game breaking RB, and I also think the premium draft and FA talent that is available is higher at DE and safety too. 

Quote:Yep, he's barely passable in the most basic and unimpactful way you can use the position.

I'd agree with Ivory>Cyp but still would rather upgrade at running back in this draft over a safety