Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Did the Bucs tank today?

but but but ... the Bucs lost all that momentum going into next season.

signed,

Ignorant Fan that thinks 1 win equates to carrying momentum into next season

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:but but but ... the Bucs lost all that momentum going into next season.

signed,

You gave me a chuckle.

You know what real momentum is? Drafting a future hall of fame QB.

I don't know that there is one this time around, but I'd rather have the shot at one without worrying that someone else is going to take him first than getting a meaningless garbage time of the season win.

Quote:You gave me a chuckle.

You know what real momentum is? Drafting a future hall of fame QB.

I don't know that there is one this time around, but I'd rather have the shot at one without worrying that someone else is going to take him first than getting a meaningless garbage time of the season win.
I don't see why more people don't understand this logic.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

signed,

"Get Better Everyday"

(This post was last modified: 12-29-2014, 01:09 PM by Oklahomie.)

Quote:I don't see why more people don't understand this logic.

Most people don't do logic or evaluation.

They decide what they emotionally desire, and then get to working to justify it. AKA, rationalization.

signed,

I know what you mean.

To be fair to the management, what else do you expect them to say ? They're hardly going to admit that the final game is pointless and they decided not to try their hardest.

But, most fans can see through the spin surely ?

The Bucs obviously tanked the final game -- just as the Colts did most of their regular season games. But who cares, I would do the same. What's one meaningless win in the regular season worth anyway?

Quote:The Bucs obviously tanked the final game -- just as the Colts did most of their regular season games. But who cares, I would do the same. What's one meaningless win in the regular season worth anyway?

To a coach in his first season, it means absolutely nothing at all.

He's got his head on straight, he's thinking about the future.

That actually makes more sense. A coach in his last rope would have gone all out as he has nothing to lose (but his job), but a new head coach thinks otherwise.

I was disappointed when they went up 20-7, I knew for sure the saints we're pulling their stings, but I'm happy with the outcome. 

Taking off important players in a meaningless end-of-season game to protect them from a serious and pointless injury ?

Maybe we should have done the same with Marks ?

Quote:I don't see why more people don't understand this logic.

Anybody who has studied draft history knows having the first overall pick does not guarantee you will get the best player and you don't even need a first round pick to get a future Hall of Famer. It also has been proven you can botch the pick. I will never understand how anybody can know all this and think it is smart to tank for the top pick of the draft.

Quote:Anybody who has studied draft history knows having the first overall pick does not guarantee you will get the best player and you don't even need a first round pick to get a future Hall of Famer. It also has been proven you can botch the pick. I will never understand how anybody can know all this and think it is smart to tank for the top pick of the draft.

There are no guarantees. Only odds. 

Quote:Taking off important players in a meaningless end-of-season game to protect them from a serious and pointless injury?

Maybe we should have done the same with Marks?

Obviously the reason important players were pulled was a tanking effort, not to protect them from injuries. The fact Sen'Derrick Marks got hurt does not make it a mistake to let him play as long as he did.

Quote:There are no guarantees. Only odds. 

Exactly. So why does anybody think owning the top pick guarantees the Buccaneers will get the best player?

For all we know, Marcus Mariota could be the next JaMarcus Russell.

Quote:Exactly. So why does anybody think owning the top pick guarantees the Buccaneers will get the best player?

For all we know, Marcus Mariota could be the next JaMarcus Russell.

I never said owning the first pick guarantees the team with that pick drafts the best player.

The only thing having the first pick overall guarantees is first access to the available talent pool.

It is still on the team to get the pick right.

However, if you do not see the inherent advantage of having first access to the available talent pool, there's nothing else to discuss.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I never said owning the first pick guarantees the team with that pick drafts the best player.

The only thing having the first pick overall guarantees is first access to the available talent pool.

However, if you do not see the inherent advantage of having first access to the available talent pool, there's nothing else to discuss.

Exactly. It didn't matter how much anyone else recognized that Andrew Luck was a can't miss prospect, the colts were the team that got to go ahead and take him.

Anyone who thinks having the first pick isn't inherently better than having later picks should probably have their home checked for radon.

Quote:I never said owning the first pick guarantees the team with that pick drafts the best player.

Lovie Smith implied it is guaranteed he will get the best player in the draft in his postgame presser.

After reading about the "Booker Reese Draft" in 1982, I can imagine the Buccaneers will botch it even though they have a different GM this time.

I know there is an advantage in having first access to the talent pool, but tanking to get it can get a coach fired.

Quote:Exactly. It didn't matter how much anyone else recognized that Andrew Luck was a can't miss prospect, the colts were the team that got to go ahead and take him.

Anyone who thinks having the first pick isn't inherently better than having later picks should probably have their home checked for radon.

But there also was Robert Griffin. How far do you think he would have dropped if the Redskins had not made the stupid trade?

Quote:But there also was Robert Griffin. How far do you think he would have dropped if the Redskins had not made the stupid trade?

What's your point? That having a later pick is better than having an earlier pick?