Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Who you got on the chopping block following the season?

Lewis may be gone, but I highly doubt it  because Jax has yet to find a suitable replacement. Lewis is a reliable blocker, and more of a complete TE than Harbor has shown thus far.

Henne's staying, and I like him in the role he's in now anyway. I think he's a good advisor, and can perform decently in short periods of time. 

Sam Young is gone no matter what, he's only around because of injuries anyway.

Posluszny should stay also. He's a good player.

Cecil isn't getting resigned. 

Ace will be around in camp and will have to earn a spot on the team this time around.

I'm counting on the backfield being shaken up also. Gerhart, Todman, and Storm will have some battling to do and I think Caldwell brings in a back to compete with Denard for the starting role.

Jacques McClendon and Josh Wells are probably gone after camp ends.

Will Blackmon will probably see the end of his days here.

Alualu will probably be resigned for a small deal with a few years on it. I don't see there being a demand for him and he's suitable backing up Red Bryant at this point anyway. However, if young DE's are brought in, he may have to worry. You can only keep so many D-Lineman on the roster at one time.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:if you are a fan you would want the players that aren't producing to go and bring ones in that will
I'm a fan with no say in it, so i don't sit around and make lists and call players "on my chopping block".  Sorry, it's silly.

I expect to see them all gone but maybe Poz. There is a slim chance shorts still stays but if we get Thomas(either really) I think hes gone for sure.

Not 100% sure if Henne will be gone tho... I believe he has the best chance to stay on who has been mentioned.

Also agree with sam young.

I don't mind Henne as a backup and as much as I'm not a Marcedes fan, I wouldn't cut him until we found his replacement.

Quote:I don't mind Henne as a backup and as much as I'm not a Marcedes fan, I wouldn't cut him until we found his replacement.
Agreed on both.  Lewis can still block and it's not like we are strapped on cap space.

Marcedes is probably cut next season. But he will have a lot of interest... Off the top of the dome I can see ATL,NYJ, and possibly NE interested

Quote:I wish they would replace Bryan Anger. The guy has a boot, but is wildly inaccurate, and totally unable to coffin corner a ball. I don't know that he's placed a ball on the one yard line in his whole career here.

That requires us being close enough to the goal line for his punt to get to the 1.  He has one of the best punting averages in the league for a reason, He has so much more field to work with than any other punter in the league.  Hopefully things turn around and he gets to start practicing getting a punt downed at the one. But until then, let the sixty yarders fly.

[Image: 0KIO8ln.gif]

I'm 91% sure this won't happen, but I think I'd try to bring Shorts back on a 1-year prove it deal like we've seen done with Maclin and Hakeem Nicks.

I think his talent level probably lies somewhere between what we saw in 2012 and what we're seeing this year. Almost a similar situation to Knighton's last year here.

Why cut Poz? He's a god player and we have the cap room. And he's a one of the leaders of the ball club.

Quote:Why cut Poz? He's a god player and we have the cap room. And he's a one of the leaders of the ball club.

I'd like him back, I'd just take him off the field in Nickel and let Telvin and JT Thomas do that.

Poz is still our best run defender, and I think an underrated blitzer. Also doesn't hurt on a young team to have a true pro like him.

Quote:Notable FA's

Geno Hayes - Bring em' back for depth only if the price is right.

Cecil Shorts - They can't use him right and he isn't playing well. Let em' walk. I think he'll produce with a better team.

Alan Ball - Bring em' back for depth only if the price is right.

Jordan Todman - Sign him at the minimum for a training camp battle vs. Storm Johnson.

JT Thomas - Depth only at a good price.

Mclendon - He brings nothing. We can upgrade in the draft

Will Taufoou - Decent. Sign and have him battle a rookie for the FB spot.

Auston Paztor - Our RT spot is in shambles. Young isn't doing well. Sign him to a cheap contract and draft competition.

Ryan Davis - Hes a bottle rocket. Sign em

M. Lewis, Sam young, Henne, Scobbee, Anger, alualu, and W. Blackmon are 2016 free agents. However, Lewis and Young need to be cut. O-line, TE, Linebacker, and WR (Vet. only) should all be positions of interest in the offseason.

We should probably get Scobee and Anger inked to extensions this offseason.

As for next year's free agents, I can see most of them being allowed to walk or else signed after crawling back on the cheap. The only guy's I'd make a sincere effort to re-sign are Will T, Paztor and Davis, and WIll T should be simple since he's a FB.

As for notable cuts, the only targets on my list are Marcedes and Henne whose combined release will save the Jaguars $10.3 mil on the cap. With the Jaguars already well under the cap, this will give them all the additional cushion they might need. There's no need to cut Poz, and I'm not understanding this seeming desire to do so. The guy is a Pro Bowl caliber player, and the Jaguars need more of those.

'02

It's people out there that still thinks we're missing Poz on the field?

Quote:It's people out there that still thinks we're missing Poz on the field?

I do think some good came out of Poz's absence in that the Jaguars were able to discover what all of their backup LBs were made of. However, put a healthy Poz back in the line-up right now, and our defense is considerably improved. Going into 2015, we want Poz leading the defense.

'02

Quote:This team has so much youth, that I don't think you make a ton of cuts. I think you do let some guys walk like Shorts .. Marcedes Base on his contract is slightly less next year, so I'm not anxious to get rid of him. I think it's time the Jags tried to upgrade the position but who is really there? 

Overall, you bring a lot of guys back into camp, with your Free Agent signing and draft picks and make those decisions in July and August. If this were a veteran team that had cap trouble, it would be different. 

I totally agree.   I wouldn't make any cuts from a 53 man roster.  We are so far under that cap, there's no financial reason to cut anyone.  I would bring in players and let them try to beat out the players we already have.   Besides, what's wrong with having a new TE and Marcedes Lewis at the same time?   What's wrong with having Poz and a young MLB at the same time?   Don't cut guys under the assumption you can get someone better.   Bring in competition and let the best man win. 

Quote:It's people out there that still thinks we're missing Poz on the field?
Regarding the MLB position,I'd be interested in seeing George return and compete

I can't stand Shorts. Whenever he drops a ball (which is almost every target), he always looks back at Bortles and throws his hands up as if it was Bortles' fault. Catch the ball dude, it's your job!

He can't be gone soon enough. He hasn't progressed as hoped and it's time to move on.

Beyond the guys already mentioned, I don't have any names to add to the list. It's a young team with a lot of pieces in place. They need to bolster the Oline, add a safety and LB. The rest of the improvement simply lies in development and coaching.

I don't think we're going to see the mass overhaul we've seen the past couple of offseasons this time around. They have cap space and I expect them to be aggressive in free agency. Obviously, we'll be drafting high yet again so add another solid draft class to a couple of guys in FA and this time should look much better next season provided the young guys develop.
<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

I agree with pretty much everything the OP says. 

Lewis is grossly overpaid.  Doesn't matter how much cap room there is, you don't pay someone $6 M a year for $500k performance.  He's injury-prone and getting up there in age - goes back to the old saying that the best ability is availability.  Same reason the team shouldn't bring back Cecil Shorts - guy can't stay on the field. 

Scobee is THE highest-paid kicker in the NFL.  Another bad Gene Smith contract.  Not that Scobee isn't an acceptable kicker, but he's definitely not the best kicker in the NFL  

Poz is overpaid and he isn't good in pass coverage, not a great blitzer, and he's not even that good against the run.  I like what I'm seeing from the young players; no reason not to let them get more playing time next year. 

Hard to say who will be available in free agency, but it would be nice to bring in a true impact player like Suh, Houston, or someone like that instead of role players.  

Quote: 

Scobee is THE highest-paid kicker in the NFL.  Another bad Gene Smith contract.  Not that Scobee isn't an acceptable kicker, but he's definitely not the best kicker in the NFL  

I don't know if he is the best kicker or not. I feel confident in saying he is one of the better kickers in the league. Maybe slightly overpaid but no sense in cutting him. Just let him play out his deal. I sat through too many bad kickers in 2002-2003 to want to do that again when you don't have to.

;

;

Re-sign :

-Todman : good returner, nice 3rd string RB.

-Ryan Davis : good pass rusher. 6.5 sacks is impressive with little playing time.

-Geno Hayes : depth, only 27 years old.

-JT Thomas : same than Hayes.

-Will Ta ufo ou : can catch, good run blocker, but need to work on pass block.

Shorts is useless now with ARob, Hurns and Lee and maybe Blackmon.

Alan Ball was good, but he is 30 years old and Colvin, Gratz and McCray need some PT.

Pasztor is just a guy.

Cut :

-Marcedes Lewis : we can find a better TE with less money.

-Alualu : useless

-Ace Sanders : bad returner, can't do anything right.

Quote:Depends on the draft. If we get Perryman or McKinney I think you can say bye to Poz

my guess is poz restructures and stays on as more of a 2 down LB and mentor to the younger guys.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."