Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Hopefully WE really TURN AROUND next year

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">  Everyone is assuming Because Marrone was hired by Gus, that him replacing Gus will be the same results, same style of play. That's pretty stupid thinking. Marrone is going to be far different than Gus. He's stricter, Not a Rah-Rah-Rah coach at all. This team the final two weeks looked way better under Marrone, then under Gus. Like he told several players who were wishing him well, hoping he got the job, Telling them careful what you wish for. Same with Walsh as the D/C, he had to play under Gus Bradley's system. Same with Hackett after he took over, The head coach runs, operates everything. So Marrone going to switch things, the styles of play, and we are going to see a lot of difference between Gus and Marrone.

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">      As far as the Draft, Known Tom Coughlin, And as pathetic as our Offensive line has been. Look for the Draft to Address that heavily, unless they bring in some free agents.  Coughlin knows and is a firm believer it starts in the Trenches. And he will improve and build the line.

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    A lot want to constantly put the blame on Bortles. Sure he made mistakes, Interceptions, fumbles to. But look, he never ever drops back, and really feel comfortable doing so, Look at some teams out there, Cowboys, Pittsburg, Greenbay, There QB`s can stand back there forever looking around. Bortles st of the time can't even drop back, set his feet. Not all the interceptions were truly Blake either. Some tipped should have been caught, one or two very freakish.

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    Special Team was a complete disaster. Running backs fumbling at the wrong times. Just seemed like every time they found a way to self-destruct. The team under Gus looked confused, not interested in playing, lost interest, like just go thru the system, let's get out of here. UndeGus nothing ever got corrected, Same stupid things week after week after week. That's going to change rapidly under Marrone and this new set up. You can place the blame last year all around the entire team, The Defense was way better, But at times when they really needed to hold stop them, Oh well, DIDNT! The defense was the most positive thing last year, Well besides our Punter. 

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    I sill say and think this team is far better than the record last year. I think they are far closer than most think they are. I think Coughlin will bring in some experience in our weakest areas to.  I think the young talent is there, It just needs to be used properly! And placed into a style and system that fits their style. 

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    Just my thoughts, not all is going to agree, which is fine, i understand that. But whatever  "GO JAGS"

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

You like 2 weeks late with this one... And did you copy paste this??

^^^ Looks who's talking 

Quote:^^^ Looks who's talking

You mean typing?? Lol...

Quote:You like 2 weeks late with this one... And did you copy paste this??

It certainly wasnt run through grammar check.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

I've heard this every year for more years then I care to think about.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote: 

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">  Everyone is assuming Because Marrone was hired by Gus, that him replacing Gus will be the same results, same style of play. That's pretty stupid thinking. Marrone is going to be far different than Gus. He's stricter, Not a Rah-Rah-Rah coach at all. This team the final two weeks looked way better under Marrone, then under Gus. Like he told several players who were wishing him well, hoping he got the job, Telling them careful what you wish for. Same with Walsh as the D/C, he had to play under Gus Bradley's system. Same with Hackett after he took over, The head coach runs, operates everything. So Marrone going to switch things, the styles of play, and we are going to see a lot of difference between Gus and Marrone.

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">      As far as the Draft, Known Tom Coughlin, And as pathetic as our Offensive line has been. Look for the Draft to Address that heavily, unless they bring in some free agents.  Coughlin knows and is a firm believer it starts in the Trenches. And he will improve and build the line.

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    A lot want to constantly put the blame on Bortles. Sure he made mistakes, Interceptions, fumbles to. But look, he never ever drops back, and really feel comfortable doing so, Look at some teams out there, Cowboys, Pittsburg, Greenbay, There QB`s can stand back there forever looking around. Bortles st of the time can't even drop back, set his feet. Not all the interceptions were truly Blake either. Some tipped should have been caught, one or two very freakish.

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    Special Team was a complete disaster. Running backs fumbling at the wrong times. Just seemed like every time they found a way to self-destruct. The team under Gus looked confused, not interested in playing, lost interest, like just go thru the system, let's get out of here. UndeGus nothing ever got corrected, Same stupid things week after week after week. That's going to change rapidly under Marrone and this new set up. You can place the blame last year all around the entire team, The Defense was way better, But at times when they really needed to hold stop them, Oh well, DIDNT! The defense was the most positive thing last year, Well besides our Punter. 

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    I sill say and think this team is far better than the record last year. I think they are far closer than most think they are. I think Coughlin will bring in some experience in our weakest areas to.  I think the young talent is there, It just needs to be used properly! And placed into a style and system that fits their style. 

<p style="background-color:rgb(245,246,245);font-family:'Diaria Light Pro', sans-serif;font-size:15px;">    Just my thoughts, not all is going to agree, which is fine, i understand that. But whatever  "GO JAGS"

Welcome to the board.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I've heard this every year for more years then I care to think about.

True. However, there does seem to be a common denominator: The personal who were in charge (be it head coach, GM, or VP Football operations) had no prior experience at the position. This might be a bit long, but bear with me:

1st: Del Rio, HC 2003-2011

2nd: Gene Smith, GM 2009-2012

3rd: Shad Khan, Owner 2011-current

4th: Gus Bradley, HC 2013-2016 and Dave Caldwell, GM 2013-current

Obviously, out of this bunch, Del Rio is the only one who saw winning seasons and playoffs. While Del Rio wasn't a top 5 HC by any means at that time, he did do a good job for the first part of his time with the Jags. "Shack" Harris wasn't a great GM, but other than most of his first rounders, his players weren't all that bad. 

Enter Gene Smith, Harris' replacement. At first, the Jags were still competitive and were even close to making the playoffs, but it turns out that Del Rio (in hindsight) had been coach his @$$ off to keep them in the hunt. Unfortunately, it wouldn't last. Smith and Del Rio didn't get along very well and it showed when more power was given to Gene. Once that happened, it went down hill - FAST. Gene not only drafted the worst QB in Jags history (Blaine Gabbert), but he also cut David Garrard, the starting QB out of nowhere. Gene KNEW that Del Rio didn't have the personnel to properly develop a QB (the QB coach was a WR coach for the Bengals) and also wanted to bring in his own guy, so by cutting Garrard - who at the very least - could have been a mentor to Gabbert and help guide him through the season, it ensured that Del Rio wouldn't be able to fulfill Weaver's demand of "Make the playoffs or you're fired". Del Rio was given the boot, Gene Smith was given a 3-year extension by Weaver before he finally sold the team to business mogul Shad Khan.

At first, Khan didn't make any real moves himself as he was new to how gridiron football worked. Smith was still in power and allowed to bring in his man at HC in Mike Malarkey. He also told Khan that they were only a few players away from super bowl contention. However, the lack of talent would finally catch up to the Jags this year as Malarkey had absolutely nothing to work with, which lead them to a 2-14 season, the worst season in Jaguars history. During that season at some point, Khan realized that Gene Smith's estimation of the teams talent was severely off and decided that Gene needed to go when the season concluded. While he himself didn't fire Malarkey (seeing as he had no talent to work with), he left his fate up to Gene's replacement, Dave Caldwell.

Caldwell decided that Malarkey wasn't the guy he wanted, so he released him from his contract with the team and hired Gus Bradley. The 3 got together and realized that Gene did so much damage to the roster, that they decided to simply blow the whole thing up and start from scratch. This ensured that the first 2 season of Gus' reign was going to be filled with blowouts and loses across the board. During the first 2 and a half years, the players bought into the new regime's philosophy: get better. However, when free agents from other teams started coming in and the team was STILL losing, Gus' job security came into question. Players from other teams mentioned that the environment was too lax, there was no accountability, and no discipline, things that most teams don't have issues with. As a result, Gus lost his job with 2 games left and let Doug Marrone, Buffalo's former HC, step in and finish the season.

My point through all this: lack of experience.

Jack Del Rio, had no prior experience as a HC

Gene Smith, had no prior experience as GM.

Shad Khan, had no prior experience as a NFL owner.

Dave Caldwell, had no prior experience as GM.

Gus Bradley, had no prior experience as HC.

Granted, Del Rio did a solid job during the first half of his time as HC and Dave Caldwell has done a good job of bringing in talent (get through your head people: GMs don't hit one EVERY pick and it's much harder to pick good players after rounds 1 and 2), but they still made huge mistakes (Del Rio should've picked his coaches better; Caldwell should've been more thorough in picking his HC). Khan also made a mistake (let Gus hang around too long). It would seem that at some point, Khan realized that the amount of inexperience was hurting this franchise and decided it was time to call in an expert.

Re-Enter Tom Coughlin, new Jaguars VP football operations. Keep in mind that Tom pretty much has experience as a coach AND a GM. So far, Coughlin has done almost nothing but bring in guys with experience at their positions. The McCardell hire seems to one of the few outliers, but having youth isn't necessarily a bad thing - it just seems that youth at positions such as HC and GM cause major issues.

Will this result in a winning season next year? I don't know. Some things need to get done first.

Will this time be different? You bet. Everyone who's in position now has seen it all before, and has a least some level of success (although some did go all the way).

Quote:... And did you copy paste this??

... my thoughts as well.

Quote:^^^ Looks who's talking

Bruce Willis. Co-staring a very talented Kirstie Alley

The OP has a point here, but is wrong about everybody thinking just because Gus Bradley hired Doug Marrone we will see more of the same. The truth is most forum members wanted Shad Khan to fire Bradley weeks earlier than he did and, when it finally happened, we played our best game of the season. One question posed at the Marrone/Tom Coughlin/Dave Caldwell presser was something like, "Do you regret not firing Gus Bradley earlier in the season?" because of how we played so much better during our last two games.