Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Shorts

Quote:He produced like a decent player on a team without anyone else to go to.

He's had a lot of injury excuses, but not a lot of production after 2012.

Maybe if Henne hadn't repeatedly thrown him into concussions he'd be okay right now, but as it is, Cecil is an NFL level player, but not a first tier guy.

Again it's pure speculation anyway.  We have no idea if they tried or if they could have gotten anything or if it was only a 6th round pick.

Quote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_NFL_draft

Take a look at some of those 4th rounders in this past draft: Martavis Bryant, Stork, Freeman, Bodine
I think you and others are looking at this based on results.  If Shorts was putting up solid numbers (not Megatron numbers or anything) and being a reliable option for Bortles (which is what the FO had hoped for) it'd be a non-issue.  We also again have no idea what kind of compensation we'd get (if any).

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Again it's pure speculation anyway.  We have no idea if they tried or if they could have gotten anything or if it was only a 6th round pick.

I think you and others are looking at this based on results.  If Shorts was putting up solid numbers (not Megatron numbers or anything) and being a reliable option for Bortles (which is what the FO had hoped for) it'd be a non-issue.  We also again have no idea what kind of compensation we'd get (if any).
I mean... what else should we go on besides results? I've always thought Shorts was overrated on this team. Dude racks up all his stats during garbage time any way. Its not like he's been out there putting up great numbers from the start of the game to the end. His numbers are always inflated when we are getting blown out.

Shorts' injury history would have had a significant impact on his trade value, making it less of a value to trade him than it was to keep him on the roster this year. 

Yes, he was the king of stat padding in garbage time, but these were still stats, and he did accumulate them, making him the most experienced receiver on the roster when the team took the field this year. If that's the knock on him by fans, don't people think maybe, just maybe professionals who are paid to scout players would see the same thing, and that in addition to his injuries, his trade value might be impacted by garbage stats as well?

It's funny to see people who on one hand want to say the team made a huge blunder by not trading Shorts when they had the chance, the on the other hand say his stats are garbage, he is a lousy route runner, he's oft-injured, and really a wasted roster spot.  Yet he has trade value to you? 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I mean... what else should we go on besides results? I've always thought Shorts was overrated on this team. Dude racks up all his stats during garbage time any way. Its not like he's been out there putting up great numbers from the start of the game to the end. His numbers are always inflated when we are getting blown out.
I have to echo some of the sentiments from FBT.  And you're criticizing a decision that was made based on information you have now.  That's not really reasonable.

Quote:Shorts' injury history would have had a significant impact on his trade value, making it less of a value to trade him than it was to keep him on the roster this year. 

Yes, he was the king of stat padding in garbage time, but these were still stats, and he did accumulate them, making him the most experienced receiver on the roster when the team took the field this year. If that's the knock on him by fans, don't people think maybe, just maybe professionals who are paid to scout players would see the same thing, and that in addition to his injuries, his trade value might be impacted by garbage stats as well?

It's funny to see people who on one hand want to say the team made a huge blunder by not trading Shorts when they had the chance, the on the other hand say his stats are garbage, he is a lousy route runner, he's oft-injured, and really a wasted roster spot.  Yet he has trade value to you? 
I don't know if you could have gotten something in return for him but if we could have, I would have done it. People make all kinds of dumb trades all the time so maybe we could have benefited from one of them.

He definitely did pad them stats in garbage time and I guess you can say "stats are stats" but I just don't think he's super talented.

I'm also not criticizing the decision to keep him. There most likely were no suitors out there for him and we obviously were going to keep him. But I think there is a huge difference between most productive and most talented WR. He was clearly our most productive WR but thats by default. He was not our most talented WR on this team even on day 1 of this year.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

There was no guarantee Robinson lee would produce and no one anywhere expected hurns to produce anything as a udfa

Even if you assume lee and Robinson would produce which lee didn't btw we still needed a 3rd receiver which meant mike brown... So keeping shorts was the right call

Shorts is a number 2 receiver facing coverage from the oppositions number one corner

Same thing is happening to Decker who has 200 more yards and two more tds having played 3 more games

He has been poor and he likely won't be back but I wouldn't say no to a one year cheap prove it contract especially as you want our young rookies to see the majority of the targets anyway

Quote:I mean... what else should we go on besides results? I've always thought Shorts was overrated on this team. Dude racks up all his stats during garbage time any way. Its not like he's been out there putting up great numbers from the start of the game to the end. His numbers are always inflated when we are getting blown out.

TD catch vs. Minnesota

TD catch vs. Cleveland

TD catch vs. Indianapolis

All were...or should have been...game winners.

No he wasn't very good this year but he has had some big catches for us.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

When he got run down a few games back by a linebacker 40 yards down field.. I knew his games were numbered.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana