Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joeckel is garbage

Quote:So we wait until Monroe "comes into his own" and gets good, and then send him to baltimore.Only to be replaced by a kid that will take 3 years of letting the #1 QB get killed? Also after 3 years Luke may or may not be as good as Monroe when we let Monroe leave.

Sounds like a plan.

We, as fans, waited. Caldwell, Bradley and everybody in charge right now did not.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Only flaw in your plan is that he was set to be a free agent the following year and maybe he didn't want to resign with us.
Well he was on the radio saying he was happy in Jacksonville. There were no contract numbers being thrown around, no leaks from the front office which normally happens when deals are happening. There were no reports of the agent and Jag personnel meeting. Monroe is on the radio saying he is happy, and how he hopes a deal gets done, and the next thing you know he is gone. Then a bunch of  people here on a MB justifying it,everyone saying his price was too high. LIke it was their wallet. How expensive does it look in hindsight now that we wasted another #1 pick and our QB is being murdered and we still need a left tackle?. I would say the Jags should have paid the man,we were millions under the cap and good left tackles don't come along every day as this organization has found out. That is how an organization ran on the cheap stays at the bottom of the pond.

it is what it is.  Monroe is gone.

Quote:Well he was on the radio saying he was happy in Jacksonville. There were no contract numbers being thrown around, no leaks from the front office which normally happens when deals are happening. There were no reports of the agent and Jag personnel meeting. Monroe is on the radio saying he is happy, and how he hopes a deal gets done, and the next thing you know he is gone. Then a bunch of  people here on a MB justifying it,everyone saying his price was too high. LIke it was their wallet. How expensive does it look in hindsight now that we wasted another #1 pick and our QB is being murdered and we still need a left tackle?. I would say the Jags should have paid the man,we were millions under the cap and good left tackles don't come along every day as this organization has found out. That is how an organization ran on the cheap stays at the bottom of the pond.
In hindsight it does appear like that this second with Joeckel struggling, however it's pure speculation as to what happened behind closed doors.  What Monroe said was very PC and likely would have been said no matter what was transpiring.  The silver-lining here is that Joeckel is still extremely wet behind the years and has room to grow.  At this point we just have to wait and see what happens.

Quote:Only flaw in your plan is that he was set to be a free agent the following year and maybe he didn't want to resign with us.

And how is that different with Joeckel? He will be a free agent shortly after he becomes good (assuming that ever happens). Do we then draft another LT with a top 10 pick to develop for four years and trade Joeckel for a ham sandwich?

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Caldwell better pray that Colvin becomes a shutdown corner (one similar to rashean mathis) to save face.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:it is what it is.  Monroe is gone.
Exactly.  We need to let it go.  We don't know what was going on behind closed doors.  Maybe Monroe was PO'ed because they drafted Joeckel and asked for the trade.  Who knows?  The sense that I get from Caldwell and Bradley is that they won't air the dirty laundry in public and just let things play out.  The chips will fall where they may.

(This post was last modified: 12-16-2014, 09:54 PM by ji536994.)

We can accept that he is gone, but still criticize Caldwell for not retaining Monroe, regardless of the circumstances.

This O-line is unacceptable, and I still cant understand any justification for trading Monroe away. Money talks, and this team could have paid to keep him here.

Sometimes it seems GM's are too quick to let guys from the previous regime walk, because they aren't a player they chose. I guarantee if Caldwell had drafted Monroe, he would have found a way to keep him on this roster.

Overall I think Caldwell is doing an alright job, but I think losing Monroe is his biggest mistake to date.

Quote:We can accept that he is gone, but still criticize Caldwell for not retaining Monroe, regardless of the circumstances.

This O-line is unacceptable, and I still cant understand any justification for trading Monroe away. Money talks, and this team could have paid to keep him here.

Sometimes it seems GM's are too quick to let guys from the previous regime walk, because they aren't a player they chose. I guarantee if Caldwell had drafted Monroe, he would have found a way to keep him on this roster.

Overall I think Caldwell is doing an alright job, but I think losing Monroe is his biggest mistake to date.

I'm not criticizing your comments.   But here's a question that comes to mind.

Lets say for discussion sake that the Jaguars didn't trade Eugene Monroe during last season.   In order to keep Monroe long term,  what would have been your course of action?    Knowing that Monroe was set to hit the open market as an UFA.

Quote:he's the worst offensive lineman in history
Spoken like a man who doesn't remember the glory years of Guy Whimper.

Quote:    I'm not criticizing your comments.   But here's a question that comes to mind.

Lets say for discussion sake that the Jaguars didn't trade Eugene Monroe during last season.   In order to keep Monroe long term,  what would have been your course of action?    Knowing that Monroe was set to hit the open market as an UFA.

Negotiate a contract extension. Pointing out that you will target the interior OL in free agency so he wouldn't have to spend another season lined up next to a stiff might help seal the deal.
 If that fails, there is always the possibility of using the franchise tag.

But the bigger problem was not just trading him, but trading him for so little. From the statements released, it seems like 1) Caldwell did not initiate contact with other teams, and only traded Monroe after the Ravens contacted him, and 2) did not shop Monroe around after the Ravens made an offer to see if the Jags could get more. Whether you're buying a car or trading a LT, you don't take the first offer unless you deem it ridiculously high. Two 3rd day picks for a good starting LT is not even in the ballpark.

A 3rd option, which is the one I would have taken, would have been to extend Monroe before the 2013 draft, sign Andre Smith as a free agent RT, and trade down from the #2 pick. For those who will pop up and say that trading down is nearly impossible, the Raiders did it from the #3 pick, and there's no reason to think Miami would not have given the same trade for the #2 pick.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

(This post was last modified: 12-17-2014, 12:10 AM by D6.)

Quote:Negotiate a contract extension. Pointing out that you will target the interior OL in free agency so he wouldn't have to spend another season lined up next to a stiff might help seal the deal.
 If that fails, there is always the possibility of using the franchise tag.

But the bigger problem was not just trading him, but trading him for so little. From the statements released, it seems like 1) Caldwell did not initiate contact with other teams, and only traded Monroe after the Ravens contacted him, and 2) did not shop Monroe around after the Ravens made an offer to see if the Jags could get more. Whether you're buying a car or trading a LT, you don't take the first offer unless you deem it ridiculously high. Two 3rd day picks for a good starting LT is not even in the ballpark.

A 3rd option, which is the one I would have taken, would have been to extend Monroe before the 2013 draft, sign Andre Smith as a free agent RT, and trade down from the #2 pick. For those who will pop up and say that trading down is nearly impossible, the Raiders did it from the #3 pick, and there's no reason to think Miami would not have given the same trade for the #2 pick.

I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes regarding the Eugene Monroe trade.   I was surprised the Jaguars didn't get more trade compensation and that the trade was made a few weeks before the trade deadline.   But it's possible that Dave Caldwell did speak to more teams and he felt that there wasn't much interest in Eugene Monroe.   Caldwell might have felt the Ravens would have gone in another direction if the trade wasn't completed around the time it was.   Hence,  Caldwell cashed in the Monroe chip even though it wasn't at premium value.  

A key part of the whole situation also could have been that the Jaguars team brass didn't believe that Eugene Monroe would be worth the type of contract he was seeking.    Both in terms of a LT option,  if the Jaguars would have not drafted a LT prospect in Round 1,   or as a long term RT option.    One definite conclusion is the Ravens valued Eugene Monroe much more than the Dave Caldwell regime did.   

Quote:And how is that different with Joeckel? He will be a free agent shortly after he becomes good (assuming that ever happens). Do we then draft another LT with a top 10 pick to develop for four years and trade Joeckel for a ham sandwich?
OMG you have our front office figured out!

Quote: I'm not sure what happened behind the scenes regarding the Eugene Monroe trade. I was surprised the Jaguars didn't get more trade compensation and that the trade was made a few weeks before the trade deadline. But it's possible that Dave Caldwell did speak to more teams and he felt that there wasn't much interest in Eugene Monroe. Caldwell might have felt the Ravens would have gone in another direction if the trade wasn't completed around the time it was. Hence, Caldwell cashed in the Monroe chip even though it wasn't at premium value.

A key part of the whole situation also could have been that the Jaguars team brass didn't believe that Eugene Monroe would be worth the type of contract he was seeking. Both in terms of a LT option, if the Jaguars would have not drafted a LT prospect in Round 1, or as a long term RT option. One definite conclusion is the Ravens valued Eugene Monroe much more than the Dave Caldwell regime did.
Since Caldwell didn't draft Monroe, I got the feeling Caldwell wasn't going to go out of his way to sign him to a long term, big money contract in light of his performance during a 2-12 season. I know Monroe wasn't the worst player on that roster, but I feel that Caldwell wanted to remove all of the veteran "leadership" that saw 2 coaches in 1 season.
Jaguars Fundamentalist