Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Joeckel is garbage

Looks like Cyp passed the short straw to Luke for this week.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Nobody is writing him off.

People are just saying he needs to be pushed with competition.

You can't just assume he will get better - otherwise you're stuck with a terrible situation at LT.

Ideal scenario is you draft a swing tackle that can push both Pasztor and Luke to be better. And if this mid-round swing tackle IS better, then he plays.. simple as that.

Nobody is calling him a bust yet. But if he doesn't improve significantly, he will be.

Nobody is calling him a bust yet?

Have you read the posts in here?

The title is joeckel is garbage...

Otherwise, I agree with you.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:As nearly as I can tell, he didn't have a very good game (it's better to analyze line play when you re-watch the game which I haven't had a chance to do yet).  While he's not nearly as bad as some of the goofballs think he is, he is a finesse player that needs to get stronger to be more effective.  This is easy to see in retrospect.  Hard to knock Caldwell for the pick though when nearly everyone at the time was thinking he'd go near the top of the draft.
Luke has been really bad dude. He gets beat way too often.

However you can't really blame Caldwell. In the NBA, nearly every single GM had Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. Obviously in hindsight, we know who the Trailblazers should have taken.

8 years back I think Aaron Curry was the "safest" pick in the draft. I don't think he's been in the league for a while now. I still think it was dumb to trade away Monroe.

I think Joeckel is alot softer than anyone expected.

(This post was last modified: 12-01-2014, 10:08 AM by muddylips.)

Quote:We are 2-10. Who cares? Honestly. Wins like this create false hope for those seeking it.
Yes we are currently 2-10, but there are plenty of fans who do care about this win. There are always going to be pro and cons about winning with a record like ours at this point in the season:

PRO: coming from a 21-0 first half deficit to win (setting a team record in doing so...) is good for team self confidence. That's big!

CON: we're only 2-10 for heaven's sake; get a grip!

PRO: Bortles had his first game without throwing an interception and leading a come back drive. That's big for our franchise quarterback!

CON: for the majority of the game, our offense was impotent, particularly the left side of our offensive line...

PRO: our defense converted two turnovers for touchdowns for the first time in team history. That's big!

CON: our defense was largely asleep the first half! It doesn't bode well when your defense scores more points than your offense...

PRO: it was a win at home in front of many of our greatest players from the past.

CON: too little too late! It ultimately could hurt us in the draft which actually could help us get to that winning season...

on and on it goes and how it will work out ultimately no one knows! Ok... so this might cost us the #1 pick. On the other hand, a big win like this can't be underestimated for the confidence value it gives a team composed largely of rookies. So like I said, there's pro and con's to most things.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Luke has been really bad dude. He gets beat way too often.

However you can't really blame Caldwell. In the NBA, nearly every single GM had Greg Oden over Kevin Durant. Obviously in hindsight, we know who the Trailblazers should have taken.

8 years back I think Aaron Curry was the "safest" pick in the draft. I don't think he's been in the league for a while now. I still think it was dumb to trade away Monroe.

In terms of the Monroe trade, none of us know the inner workings. Maybe Monroe didn't want to be here. If he wasn't going to sign a new contract anyway, then the trade was definitely the way to go.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Well at least our "Joekel is Garbage" thread is less than the 52 pages discussing the suck of Eric Fischer the Chiefs board.  

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote:Well at least our "Joekel is Garbage" thread is less than the 52 pages discussing the suck of Eric Fischer the Chiefs board.  

Neither is very good. Last year will likely go down as the worst draft in recent memory.

Ive been laughing since I opened this thread. Omg. I was saying this yesterday when he tried to block a guy already on the ground while his QB got sacked. lol. Too funny.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

yeah I saw that too... it was pathetic.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:You don't draft any lineman in the top 5, ever.

The days of Boselli and Munoz are gone.

There are no true dominant tackles out there that can eliminate a JJ Watt.. Only those guys are worth it.

Boselli has been talking about that for a while now. For whatever reason, even the best tackles in the league aren't nearly as dominant as tavkles used to be.

I would draft them starting in the mid first or later.

I say get a tackle in rounds 2-4 and hopefully he can push Joeckel and Pasztor.

We disagree here.

A Joe Thomas caliber LT is certainly worth a top 5 pick.

LT is such an important position, especially for a developing QB, you have to ensure you get an elite one.

My inclination to draft defense this coming draft, in addition to Joeckel's youth, would allow me to be open to a LT in the second round.

But if we have a top 5 pick or so, and we can't deal down, and a dominant LT is still on the board, I might be inclined to take him over a DE like Gregory.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:We disagree here.

A Joe Thomas caliber LT is certainly worth a top 5 pick.

LT is such an important position, especially for a developing QB, you have to ensure you get an elite one.

My inclination to draft defense this coming draft, in addition to Joeckel's youth, would allow me to be open to a LT in the second round.

But if we have a top 5 pick or so, and we can't deal down, and a dominant LT is still on the board, I might be inclined to take him over a DE like Gregory.

But there does not appear to be a top 5 caliber left tackle in this draft.

Cedric Ogbuehi was thought to be the top prospect but he has not played that well. And with Joeckel and Matthews struggling, I would be cautious about selecting an A&M tackle.

Brandon Scherff is another one highly thought of but he might be best suited to play inside like Zach Martin or Joel Bitonio.

yeah we completely disagree there.

I would rather draft 3 lineman in rounds 3,4,5 and try your chances.

Pressure comes from all over the place, not just from the right defensive end.

Give me 5 solid "Linders" any day of the week.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:But there does not appear to be a top 5 caliber left tackle in this draft.

Cedric Ogbuehi was thought to be the top prospect but he has not played that well. And with Joeckel and Matthews struggling, I would be cautious about selecting an A&M tackle.

Brandon Scherff is another one highly thought of but he might be best suited to play inside like Zach Martin or Joel Bitonio.

I am apprehensive about Scherff.

I want to see Andrus Peat, though.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

we should have paid Monroe whatever he wanted.  he wasn't AMAZING, but he was good enough.  LT is harder to find than people realize... including our GM apparently.

Quote:The amount of stupid on this board just jumped to an all time high with this thread.

This, in a not so harsh manner.

Beatles has a terrible game and Luke gets the blame. Did anyone actually watch the game? Luke had one legitimate holding call and was beat once to the edge where Blake should have stepped up in the pocket for a wide open receiver. I counted no fewer than 3 "pancakes" and his run support actually improved, meaning no whiff on a downfield block. All season Beatles has been trash and Luke gets called out for a couple minor mistakes in what would be his rookie year? Come on. You can clearly watch the interior getting blown up.
[Image: Ben-Roethlisberger_Lerentee-McCary-Sack_...ayoffs.jpg]

Cam Bradfield can be found easily - and he played LT just as well as Joeckel is playing.

IT'S NOT LUKE'S ROOKIE YEAR.

It's the most lame excuse ever heard.

What next?  Will Aaron Colvin be a rookie next year too?

Quote:This, in a not so harsh manner.

Beatles has a terrible game and Luke gets the blame. Did anyone actually watch the game? Luke had one legitimate holding call and was beat once to the edge where Blake should have stepped up in the pocket for a wide open receiver. I counted no fewer than 3 "pancakes" and his run support actually improved, meaning no whiff on a downfield block. All season Beatles has been trash and Luke gets called out for a couple minor mistakes in what would be his rookie year? Come on. You can clearly watch the interior getting blown up.

Pretty much this.

Quote:IT'S NOT LUKE'S ROOKIE YEAR.

It's the most lame excuse ever heard.

What next? Will Aaron Colvin be a rookie next year too?

How many games did Luke play at LT again last year?
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."