Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which Jaguars Rookie has played the best so far?
1st Round Pick QB Blake Bortles
2nd Round Pick WR Marqise Lee
2nd Round Pick WR Allen Robinson
3rd Round Pick RG Brandon Linder
4th Round Pick CB Aaron Colvin
5th Round Pick OLB Telvin Smith
5th Round Pick DE Chris Smith
6th Round Pick C Luke Bowanko
7th Round Pick RB Storm Johnson
Undrafted WR Allen Hurns
[Show Results]

Which Jaguar Rookie has played the best so far?

Quote:I voted for Hurns as the best rookie.  But the case for Telvin Smith is very strong as well.  I just think the fact that Hurns only missed 1 game and has been so reliable catching the ball while getting hit on every play is worthy of him getting mad props.

Agreed. And I still can't get past the UDFA bit...how did this guy go undrafted?!?

<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:1. Allen Robinson - Was on pace for a 70+ catch 900+ yard rookie season with almost no drops on a team surrounded by other rookies and a rookie QB. I think he led all rookies in 3rd down conversion percentage. At 21 years old he was playing like a vet. And Hackenberg went to crap when Penn State lost him. Yeah, he gon be special. Glad it's for this team.

2. Telvin Smith - He's been a beast and pretty much the 3rd best rookie linebacker behind Borland and Mack this year. Once he gets up to 225+ he'll be a nightmare for offenses. His coverage ability combined with his speed and run stopping is amazing. And he makes big game changing plays and is a great presence on the field and in the lockerroom. Once again, a special player and should be a fixture on this defense for years to come.

3. Brandon Linder - Purely speaking on play this season at their respective position, he has probably been the best rookie. He almost never gives up pressure and is a mauler in the run game while he has nothing next to him at RT. I don't know how our scouting staff figured out what pretty much no one else in the scouting community did, but bravo to us. He has played like an All-Pro as a rookie with a porous RT next to him.

4. Aaron Colvin - In the limited time he's been on the field, he's looked like a future star CB. He shows up every game with a great hit or coverage play, and like Telvin is a great energy spark. He's clearly the most talented player in the secondary and he's only been on the field for what, 5 games? Yeah, once again, special player.

Good post. Regarding our scouts unearthing Linder, players 2-4 on your list were Senior Bowl participants coached by our staff. That couldn't have hurt in evaluating them.

Quote:Hmm 41 posts probably a troll.

Definitely is. Don't feed this tool.
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

Agreed.   Telvin Smith nominated for rookie of the week yet again...  If he continues to play that way I'm sure he'll be nominated again after the Texans game.

It is interesting looking back at this list now 30 days later, and how a number of the rookies have gotten better in my eyes.  This draft overall has gotten much better now.  8 of the 10 total on the list should be solid starters for the foreseeable future.  That's a great draft by most anyone's measure.   

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014, 03:49 PM by Banatha.)

Quote:It is interesting looking back at this list now 30 days later, and how a number of the rookies have gotten better in my eyes.  This draft overall has gotten much better now.  8 of the 10 total on the list should be solid starters for the foreseeable future.  That's a great draft by most anyone's measure.   
I think this whole business is borderline teal tea drinking extreme. Grading rookies, ok. But the draft isn't so much better now,  or a great draft just because we see these players. These are the players we are playing, because caldwell cut half the old squad. Which is kind of self evident, therefore you see them more. Are they good? What's our record again? Are they top 10 at their position or will they ever be? Which rookie do you see in the pro bowl next year?

I guess I am going to be the rain on the parade, but if all you see is rookies, and all we do is lose, how can you say Telvin is a stud, or Robinson is going to be a star?

Just wait and let's see. The truth is we don't know that any rookie we have is starter quality anywhere, here or anywhere else, now or in the future. We certainly can't say they will go beyond just starting and be a top 10 player in the league.

I'm going to go with Brandon Linder. Originally I though he was selected a round too high and was drafted based more on his physical talent and raw ability. I don't think any draft selection has picked up the game faster than Linder has. I've been watching the Game Rewinds and he picks up complicated blitzes very well especially in zone blitz situations which I think are the hardest for rookies to see before the ball is snapped. He has shown very nice strength and explosiveness at times, which was a real concern of mine coming into the season. In many games at Miami he didn't look very strong to me. His feet move well for a guy that tall and heavy and he has really shown fundamental improvement from preseason to today. I have to think Fisch had some influence on this pcik and I don't mind at all. I think he going to be a guard on this team for a very long time and has the potential to be a pro-bowl player. Zack Martin and Joel Bitino might be the might be the only guards in the entire draft class that are arguably better (and were more polished coming into Draft day) but he has done a really nice job so far on an offensive line that has been nothing short of terrible. I honestly was expecting him to struggle and possibly not even make the starting line-up until late year one or second year. 

Quote:I think this whole business is borderline teal tea drinking extreme. Grading rookies, ok. But the draft isn't so much better now,  or a great draft just because we see these players. These are the players we are playing, because caldwell cut half the old squad. Which is kind of self evident, therefore you see them more. Are they good? What's our record again? Are they top 10 at their position or will they ever be? Which rookie do you see in the pro bowl next year?

I guess I am going to be the rain on the parade, but if all you see is rookies, and all we do is lose, how can you say Telvin is a stud, or Robinson is going to be a star?

Just wait and let's see. The truth is we don't know that any rookie we have is starter quality anywhere, here or anywhere else, now or in the future. We certainly can't say they will go beyond just starting and be a top 10 player in the league.

I get your point and it's valid, however I don't think you can't see potential even at how bad the team is. You can see where guys have legitimate talent and in the NFL, talent comes and goes on a weekly basis.

I think the biggest identifier of rookies is the mental mistakes, you don't want to hear the "they are rookies" excuse but how many times do you see guys getting beaten with experience every week? In two-three seasons, Allen Robinson does not misrun a route causing a pick 6 (we have already seen that happen) and Telvin Smith starts calling out what play Andrew Luck is running and blows through the A gap for a sack.. you can't look at this entire class and say, nah, I can't see potential. 

I guess have fun with the parlor game, and I know the sales office loves the talk of the "upcoming new jags" with all that potential. But Gabbert had potential. Everyone drafted has potential. Which man has played the best of the entire class, or which man looks like a star? Because there is a huge difference in being the best Jaguar Lineman and being an All pro LEAGUE lineman. Given the record, along with the errors I have seen, I would say it's a class full of potential, which don't mean squat.

I haven't seen anyone, Bortles included, that has played championship caliber football or that has flashed so many times individually with such jaw dropping ability I can say they will ever be more than they are right now. Who? Telvin? He has been good and bad. Linder? Hard to say but I don't remember any pancakes or wiping out 3 defenders that made me say WHOA! When I saw Randy Moss run the first time, he didn't need to catch a pass, but blowing by people and him at 6'5!!! Are you freaking kidding me!!! Or JJ Watt pushing a 300lb tackle backwards like he was playing with his kids. Or Freeny speed rushing so fast I knew he was offside except in slow mo he wasn't offside. That is the potential I have not seen from ANYONE IN THIS DRAFT CLASS. The closet I have seen is a couple of rockets Blake has fired that made a impression of being Elway"ish". That's it for me. Anything else awe inspiring individually I missed?

We suck. Well the Jags suck. They beat another really bad team, Telvin has a field day, we kick some field goals, and suddenly some are so high on teal fumes we got people saying it's one of the best classes ever, and they can easily see 8 starters. And? Someone sees 8 new starters on a 2 win team. Pop the corks boys.

Maybe I had a bad day and being too negative, I'll bow out and you fellows have fun with the thread.

Quote:Linder? Hard to say but I don't remember any pancakes or wiping out 3 defenders that made me say WHOA!

Then you haven't paid attention. I've seen him take out a LB and Safety after pushing a DT out of the play. I've also seen him finish his man to the ground on multiple occasions. 

Who voted Storm Johnson.  He has been mr invisible.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

(This post was last modified: 12-27-2014, 09:15 PM by NH3.)

Linder is my pick above Herns only because of starts...Robinson is Truely Promising but we Must take into account of playing time. I sincerely feel that our 2014 draft class will rank within the top five of the NFL's Best...

Color Me Teal if you will...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:Who voted Storm Johnson.  He has been mr invisible.

Not I said the Blind Man...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I guess have fun with the parlor game, and I know the sales office loves the talk of the "upcoming new jags" with all that potential. But Gabbert had potential. Everyone drafted has potential. Which man has played the best of the entire class, or which man looks like a star? Because there is a huge difference in being the best Jaguar Lineman and being an All pro LEAGUE lineman. Given the record, along with the errors I have seen, I would say it's a class full of potential, which don't mean squat.
I haven't seen anyone, Bortles included, that has played championship caliber football or that has flashed so many times individually with such jaw dropping ability I can say they will ever be more than they are right now. Who? Telvin? He has been good and bad. Linder? Hard to say but I don't remember any pancakes or wiping out 3 defenders that made me say WHOA! When I saw Randy Moss run the first time, he didn't need to catch a pass, but blowing by people and him at 6'5!!! Are you freaking kidding me!!! Or JJ Watt pushing a 300lb tackle backwards like he was playing with his kids. Or Freeny speed rushing so fast I knew he was offside except in slow mo he wasn't offside. That is the potential I have not seen from ANYONE IN THIS DRAFT CLASS. The closet I have seen is a couple of rockets Blake has fired that made a impression of being Elway"ish". That's it for me. Anything else awe inspiring individually I missed?

We suck. Well the Jags suck. They beat another really bad team, Telvin has a field day, we kick some field goals, and suddenly some are so high on teal fumes we got people saying it's one of the best classes ever, and they can easily see 8 starters. And? Someone sees 8 new starters on a 2 win team. Pop the corks boys.

Maybe I had a bad day and being too negative, I'll bow out and you fellows have fun with the thread.

Oh, so all we have to do to impress you is have rookies playing at the level of hall of famers. Seems reasonable enough.
"Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other." Galatians 5:26

2015 NFL Draft - Analyzing Targets www.jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/topic/7892-2015-nfl-draft-analyzing-targets/

I would say Linder > Telvin > ARob > Colvin > Hurns

Linder is the best surprise of the year. The pick was largely panned and it seemed to me like a panic move but he's grading out as a top 10 guard per PFF. 

Telvin looks like he's going to be a strong every-down LB. If he can get stronger and improve his tackling he could be an excellent player. 

Robinson was our best WR when he was healthy and looks like he can be a really strong contributor in the short/intermediate game as well as after the catch. 

Colvin has played pretty well in only a few games, if he had played like that over a full season he would be higher on this list. 

Hurns was really good value for an UDFA and had some bright spots but needs to work on consistency and his drops. 

Quote:I would say Linder > Telvin > ARob > Colvin > Hurns

Linder is the best surprise of the year. The pick was largely panned and it seemed to me like a panic move but he's grading out as a top 10 guard per PFF.

Telvin looks like he's going to be a strong every-down LB. If he can get stronger and improve his tackling he could be an excellent player.

Robinson was our best WR when he was healthy and looks like he can be a really strong contributor in the short/intermediate game as well as after the catch.

Colvin has played pretty well in only a few games, if he had played like that over a full season he would be higher on this list.

Hurns was really good value for an UDFA and had some bright spots but needs to work on consistency and his drops.

I really like your list. It may also be the same as mine.

Colvin and Telvin are awesome in limited playing time but took the starting job by force. Not many could have seen that coming for both.

Arob was money on 3rd down which will earn you a paycheck in this league for a long time. Linder is just a 16 week rookie starter who grades well in pass and run blocking.

Hurns is the 'tough' choice but he flashes so much with multiple multiple TD games.

This is also my list for next year of this draft class with no regards to order. Hopefully Lee will pace one of his class mate receivers and Bortles will make an appearance.

I would vote for the waterboy. Yes, the waterboy. He did a good job too; everyone who was thirsty got some water right away.

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

The thing about Hurns is you have to look at the value we got there.  Great get.

[Image: thumbsup.gif]

Quote:The thing about Hurns is you have to look at the value we got there.  Great get.

[Image: thumbsup.gif]

yea but the thread says "played the best" not "had the best value" Wallbash [Image: wallbash.gif] Wallbash

If they ask why I act this way..just tell'em I'm from..

[Image: below-model-jax-2013.jpg]

DUUUUUUUVVVVAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL

I picked Linder, but a good case can be made for Telvin Smith. He really came on strong at the end, with 31 tackles in the last two games. Kuechly, the NFL tackle leader this year, did not have two games (not necessarily even consecutive) where he totaled 30 or more tackles.

I still don't understand how Telvin lasted until the 5th round, but I'm sure glad the Jags got him.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"