Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Mike Nolan interviewing for LB coaching job

I'd say clearing out the major part of the staff in numbers as well as responsibilties except for a few low level coaches 

was in fact "cleaning house"

It also tells me the few left must have been doing their jobs in Marrones eyes.

@RedRooster28 - you are wise beyond your years. Hang in there up in Virginia..... :thumbsup:

"Stay tight, stay close. Great things are going to continue to happen for this football team."  - Doug Peterson

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Which would've resulted in a change to a 3-4, that not a lot of people are on board with since we have Telvin, Poz, and Jack at LB. ( for the record I would welcome a 3-4 look)

Same thoughts on the 3 - 4 look. I think it'd be awesome having Jack and Poz in the middle with Smith on the outside and maybe seeing Fowler opposite of Smith rushing from the 3 - 4 spot standing up. Draft a big dude to play in the middle on the line and kick Jackson to DE with Yannick opposite of him still. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:The question with Wash for me is how will the players respond?

Even just with things like the style of play. I don't think its a huge assumption to say that Bradley preferred the players to stick to there jobs instead of taking risks and jumping routes for interceptions. Wash coached them this year. Does he now come back and basically say "Oh yeah sorry the way I was told to coach the defense was in fact totally wrong and I don't actually think its a good way to do it all, let's do it this way now".

To me as a player that coach would lose credibility and I'd be second guessing things hes telling me to do after last year.

I got the sense the players liked him. I don't think he was deaf to the criticism. He was following the direction of the defense Gus designed. I think having Fewell to bounce ideas off of will be a huge asset. More so if we also land Nolan. Between those three I feel we can develop a defense more aggressive in trying to force turnovers than keeping the play in front of them. Not very concerned about the players responding on that side of the ball.
Only a chump boos the home team!

(This post was last modified: 01-20-2017, 03:56 AM by rpr52121.)

Quote:Same thoughts on the 3 - 4 look. I think it'd be awesome having Jack and Poz in the middle with Smith on the outside and maybe seeing Fowler opposite of Smith rushing from the 3 - 4 spot standing up. Draft a big dude to play in the middle on the line and kick Jackson to DE with Yannick opposite of him still. 

I don't know. I still think Jack is too small to be a 3-4 ILB, and unless Fowler is always rushing, he would likely be a liability in coverage.

I also think true 4-3/3-4 systems are too easily predictable against really good teams. Base coverage for lots of teams now seems to be nickel with some mix subpackages using 3-4 LB's in various roles. So I would rather TW be more fluid on that concept. 

Frankly, I just want TW to blitz more. Sure getting pressure with 4 is ideal, but unrealistic for a full game against a good team unless you have a stud DE. And I don't see the Jaguars getting a stud DE anytime soon.

Quote:I don't know. I still think Jack is too small to be a 3-4 ILB, and unless Fowler is always rushing, he would likely be a liability in coverage.

I also think true 4-3/3-4 systems are too easily predictable against really good teams. Base coverage for lots of teams now seems to be nickel with some mix subpackages using 3-4 LB's in various roles. So I would rather TW be more fluid on that concept.

Frankly, I just want TW to blitz more. Sure getting pressure with 4 is ideal, but unrealistic for a full game against a good team unless you have a stud DE. And I don't see the Jaguars getting a stud DE anytime soon.

Jack is 6'1 245. That's prototypical sie for a 3-4 ilb. Not too small in any way.

Quote:I don't know. I still think Jack is too small to be a 3-4 ILB, and unless Fowler is always rushing, he would likely be a liability in coverage.

Ryan Shazier in Pittsburgh is 6'2 229. He plays like he's 6'5 250. Jack I think could EASILY succeed in a very similar role next to Poz mentoring him up. Jack would be able to blitz or cover while Poz could focus on the ground game in space which he's awesome at. Fowler could work on his coverage skills.

I'd imagine they'd move him around with Smith from both sides to rush the passer depending on the OT match up. I think Wash was showing some pretty good and decent looking designs with the coverage moving back and forth last second at the LOS or blitzing with different stunts. Should only get better in 2017. 

[Image: 4SXW6gC.png]

"What do I know of cultured ways, the gilt, the craft and the lie? I, who was born in a naked land and bred in the open sky. The subtle tongue, the sophist guile, they fail when the broadswords sing; Rush in and die, dogs - I was a man before I was a king."

Quote:Wash is a dope and our defense is gonna regress like the offense did.

We get it, you don't approve, although you're the dope.
<a target="_blank" href="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v107/chuckd132132/p1_manning_all_200.jpg" target="_blank">VIEW IMAGE</a>

Quote:Assistant to the ST Coach.

Chill out Dwight. 

Quote:If you're "A Lifetime Jaguar Fan" as I, then choose to be POSITIVE when it comes to Our Jaguars. I understand the fan's turmoil but I also understand that Better Days are Coming to which I'll be Optimistic as such...

You received your Christmas Gift...

NH3...

I think every fan, especially long time fans, are entitled to not trust that a promising off season would lead to a successful season. Especially now. We cannot allow ourselves to be so naive (again). I'd think everyone os in that wait and see mode and not that "All In". (unlessin ur name is Frank Lini). Smile
You Gotta Be Able To Run Da' Rock~

Nolan declined the offer.

Quote:Nolan declined the offer.
Source?

Quote:Source?

Alex Marvez

Alex Marvez – Verified account ‏@alexmarvez

Not sure if out there but source tells @sn_nfl that @MikeNolanNFL took himself out of running 4 @jaguars LBs job but considering other opps
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Source?

That Marquez guy.

He's set to interview with the Saints now.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Alex Marvez

Not sure if out there but source tells @sn_nfl that @MikeNolanNFL took himself out of running 4 @jaguars LBs job but considering other opps

How come?

(This post was last modified: 01-24-2017, 07:07 PM by Teal Curtain.)

Quote:Alex Marvez

Interesting..... not necessarily sure if he was "offered" the job.

I wonder why he would take himself out of the running. A LB Coach job with Telvin, Jack, Poz is a lot to work with. Cant get too much better.

Is Singletary employed still?

Blast. Oh well. Heck of a coach, but I guess the fit wasn't right or we would've done whatever it took to make it happen. Maybe he wasn't comfortable with them exploring other options for so long after meeting with him (completely speculation).

I'm sure Tom and Doug will find someone they are confident in. I doubt either of them underestimates the importance of this hire with the youth we have at the position (and most likely will be adding even more youth this offseason, though I hope we hold onto Poz for another year, just a model NFL pro.)

I think there's enough non-Wash disciples hired onto the Defensive Staff that it won't be a detriment for them to bring in someone who is familiar with his system. I've always felt that you need different perspectives on a staff in order to get the most out of the talent you have. With the addition of Fewell and Hobby, I think there's enough fresh blood there to change things up a bit.

Would have been great to get Nolan though. Everything I've read about him is that he's a top notch coach.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Think he just got tired of waiting