Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Odell Beckham Jr

That was some catch...
[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:By far the greatest catch I have ever seen.

It was awesome all right, but "by far" is an exaggeration if you watched Super Bowl 42. Tony Dungy prefers the one where a backup wide receiver used his helmet to secure the football after it was nearly intercepted. I think it is debatable which "impossible" catch was the best in Giants history and would make a poll about it if this thread had not already been started.

Watch both and tell me which one you think was the best catch.

Super Bowl 42

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27XeNefwABw

Sunday Night Football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1WcC--twBo

If "best" means the most important catch, then the helmet catch is more important for obvious reason. However if you define "best" as spectacular, then Odell Beckham catch is by far the most spectacular catch I ever saw at the pro level, maybe at any level.

Odell has become a star as most rookies in the NFL are. They are getting much better each week. Oh I forgot not ours they need to be coached and will be starting to play better in 2017. I believe!!!!!!

Quote:If "best" means the most important catch, then the helmet catch is more important for obvious reason. However if you define "best" as spectacular, then Odell Beckham catch is by far the most spectacular catch I ever saw at the pro level, maybe at any level.

I assume people mean the most spectacular when they call it the best catch. It happened during the first quarter of a Giants loss.

Amazingly,  a catch equally as good,  if not,  better occurred by a Giants WR in a 1987 NFL Replacement game  ( during the strike ).   Lewis Bennett made a catch against the 49ers replacement players in that game that's still being talked about over 27 seasons later.   

Quote:Amazingly, a catch equally as good, if not better, occurred by a Giants WR in a 1987 NFL Replacement game (during the strike). Lewis Bennett made a catch against the 49ers replacement players in that game that's still being talked about over 27 seasons later.   

I am too young to remember replacement players. Say "replacement" and I will always think of the officials who were not even good enough for college football.

What was the best catch you ever saw by another team's wide receiver?  For me it probably was Antonio Freeman's overtime touchdown on MNF. A review was required to make sure the ball never hit the ground.

Which is the catch of the last 50 years, Beckhams, or the Immaculate reception?

Instead of a sign that says "Do Not Disturb" I need one that says "Already Disturbed Proceed With Caution."

Beckham's catch on the kickoff vs Georgia when he was at LSU is more impressive IMO. After seeing that, it looks like Beckham has been doing it his whole life, which makes it more impressive. Watching him warm up against Ole Miss last year was pretty awesome. The guy is like Lynn Swan when it comes to body control in the air
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:Which is the catch of the last 50 years, Beckham's, or the Immaculate reception?

Obviously not the Immaculate Reception. All Franco Harris had to do was catch the ball before it hit the ground. There was no physics-defying movement involved.

The only catch that comes close is the helmet catch in Super Bowl 42.

(This post was last modified: 11-24-2014, 05:35 PM by shangster.)

If you go to YouTube and search "Edwin Baptise catch", you'll find a similarly spectacular catch -- one handed stretched out, in the air, and landed on his back.

Here it is:
<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjO4klFW24o'>http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gjO4klFW24o</a>

Odell Beckham's catch is still more impressive because he had a defender on him, got fouled and still made a jaw-dropping one handed catch.

Quote:If you go to YouTube and search "Edwin Baptise catch" you'll find a similarly spectacular catch -- stretched, one handed on the air and landed on his back.

If he used three fingers on the sideline after fighting off a defender and had to look at the ball upside down, I doubt NFL.com would give uis the impression that has never been done before.

Will be a show watching this guy on Sunday.  Bright future ahead

Gene's Myth

Quote:Will be a show watching this guy on Sunday.  Bright future ahead.

After Victor Cruz got hurt I thouight great, that gives us a better chance of beating the Giants (although I did feel bad for him, of course). But after watching Odell Beckham defy the laws of physics, I began to worry he could give us a bad day. I would have wished we picked him instead of Marqise Lee if he was available at #39.

Great catch.

This rookie WR class looks really special. Mike Evans was my favourite before the draft and he's showing it why, but ODB, Benjamin, Cooks, Matthews,... are also playing very good.

ODB is a beast, but if given the choice, I'd go with Sammy Watkins. Like you said, this is probably the best WR class in a long time.

Amazing catch. It is over all a better catch than the super bowl catch buuuut they lost in a reg season game instead of winning the super bowl so thats a difference.

Still this catch is one of the best ever. So amazing. He is going to be great. I just dont know how the Giants will be besides him.

Quote:ODB and Carr would've been better than BBINT and Lee.

This season you would have to add Kelvin Benjamin and Carr, or Sammy Watkins and Carr, maybe even Brandin Cooks and Carr...

Time will tell though, I'm not giving up hope yet (having said that, I'm more concerned now than I was a few games ago)

And yes - amazing catch.

Quote:Amazing catch. It is over all a better catch than the Super Bowl catch buuuut they lost in a reg season game instead of winning the Super Bowl so that's a difference.

Still this catch is one of the best ever. So amazing. He is going to be great. I just dont know how the Giants will be besides him.

Obviously most people don't care about the fact it happened during the second quarter of a loss because they say it is better than David Tyree's helmet catch. Plus it was a scoring play. Tyree just made a first down.