Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Wash retained as D.C.

Quote:Oh wait was that Donnie Henderson guy just meant to be coming in as a db coach? That makes more sense.

Donnie Henderson and TC got into a heated argument on the sideline in 2005. Word is Marrone wanted to hire him as DB coach, which he's a very good dB coach btw, and TC blocked him from doing it.

To be honest I don't see this thing ending all that well if that story is true. I don't have a link, but who here doesn't think Tom can be capable of extreme micromanaging? That isn't gonna fly with Marrone for long.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Didnt we see how good he could be last year?? It's gonna be the same bend but don't break ,soft defense.. The same Defense that allowed teams to finish on them, instead of them finishing on teams. The same defense that stayed the same,and kept players like Ramsey,Gipson,Fowler stuck in certain roles...The same defense that ranked near the bottom in turnovers..

If you guys thinking this defense, is gonna be better, your wrong.. Only thing that might help, is if TC comes down and make suggestions, but that's a if..

It is fully reasonable to expect changes to the defense for this year, last year Wash was essentially running Gus's scheme. Now we will get to see what a Todd Wash defense looks like.

I imagine this was the plan all along (to retain Wash) but Coughlin wanted time to 'vet' him before signing off on it. If Coughlin has seen and heard what he needed to then the move gets my vote.

Some are down on Wash because of the comments from players, but as long as Wash makes it known that this is his scheme now I think the players will buy in.

Ultimately he is a coordinator with one year of experience who turned a 24th ranked D into a 6th ranked D. Not a bad résumé so far. Makes all the sense in the world to bring him back.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 08:30 AM by Achilles.)

Quote:Didnt we see how good he could be last year?? It's gonna be the same bend but don't break ,soft defense.. The same Defense that allowed teams to finish on them, instead of them finishing on teams. The same defense that stayed the same,and kept players like Ramsey,Gipson,Fowler stuck in certain roles...The same defense that ranked near the bottom in turnovers..

If you guys thinking this defense, is gonna be better, your wrong.. Only thing that might help, is if TC comes down and make suggestions, but that's a if..
So you complain in another thread that people need to respect your opinion.... And then you come on here and 1. Tell everyone that their opinion is wrong as if it's a fact.

2. You bring your matter of fact opinion up, but it's not even an intelligent argument. It's already been covered ad nauseum that last season, even in the two games without Gus, that the majority of the game plan was implemented by Gus and that there wasn't enough time for a full overhaul.

That alone gives people with the ability to think for themselves a good feeling about this upcoming season. On top of that, it's also been beaten like a dead horse that wash has a background in different styles of defense than the Seattle style that Gus wanted to run.

As soon as Gus was gone, wash already started to get away from the Seattle defense.... Even more reason to have a good feeling about the defense next season.

So in conclusion, a ton has changed. Your opinion isn't fact. Your opinion is wrong more often than not. The way you convey your opinion is childish and similar to a toddler's tantrum when they don't get their way.

Those reasons, and not even those reasons alone, are why people don't respect your opinion.

A good way to start turning things around might be to respect others opinions.
Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:It is fully reasonable to expect changes to the defense for this year, last year Wash was essentially running Gus's scheme. Now we will get to see what a Todd Wash defense looks like.

I imagine this was the plan all along (to retain Wash) but Coughlin wanted time to 'vet' him before signing off on it. If Coughlin has seen and heard what he needed to then the move gets my vote.

Some are down on Wash because of the comments from players, but as long as Wash makes it known that this is his scheme now I think the players will buy in.

Ultimately he is a coordinator with one year of experience who turned a 24th ranked D into a 6th ranked D. Not a bad résumé so far. Makes all the sense in the world to bring him back.

Sometimes numbers lie.. That 24th to 6th didn't show any results in the win column... But to be fair the defense was better, not sure if that's because of better players or coaches.. I would lean towards players.. Hell this is Wash first time being a Defensive Coordinator. It's gonna be hard giving him the benefit of the doubt,knowing he learned a lot from Gus.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 08:36 AM by Yo Boy.)

Quote:So you complain in another thread that people need to respect your opinion.... And then you come on here and 1. Tell everyone that their opinion is wrong as if it's a fact.

2. You bring your matter of fact opinion up, but it's not even an intelligent argument. It's already been covered ad nauseum that last season, even in the two games without Gus, that the majority of the game plan was implemented by Gus and that there wasn't enough time for a full overhaul.

That alone gives people with the ability to think for themselves a good feeling about this upcoming season. On top of that, it's also been beaten like a dead horse that wash has a background in different styles of defense than the Seattle style that Gus wanted to run.

As soon as Gus was gone, wash already started to get away from the Seattle defense.... Even more reason to have a good feeling about the defense next season.

So in conclusion, a ton has changed. Your opinion isn't fact. Your opinion is wrong more often than not. The way you convey your opinion is childish and similar to a toddler's tantrum when they don't get their way.

Those reasons, and not even those reasons alone, are why people don't respect your opinion.

A good way to start turning things around might be to respect others opinions.

Did I insult anybody or call anybody dumb?? And show me where I'm complaining?? I simply said your wrong If you believe the defense gonna be better.. That's my opinion ...

Quote:To be honest I don't see this thing ending all that well if that story is true. I don't have a link, but who here doesn't think Tom can be capable of extreme micromanaging? That isn't gonna fly with Marrone for long.

If that situation turns into a "first of many" such situations, then it could spiral out of control. Part of Tom's demise in his first Jax stint was wearing too many hats and trying to do too much.  Hopefully he's more graceful in his new role than he was when he was trying to be GM/HC/OC. 

It would be a shame for Marrone to begin feeling undermined by his boss.  As it stands, I'm sure they can find a quality DB coach elsewhere. 

Quote:Sometimes numbers lie.. That 24th to 6th didn't show any results in the win column... But to be fair the defense was better, not sure if that's because of better players or coaches.. I would lean towards players.. Hell this is Wash first time being a Defensive Coordinator. It's gonna be hard giving him the benefit of the doubt,knowing he learned a lot from Gus.

It really sounds like you have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote:Did I insult anybody or call anybody dumb?? And show me where I'm complaining?? I simply said your wrong If you believe the defense gonna be better.. That's my opinion ...
You should know by now opinion's don't fly around here. You either have to agree with a select few or they start bashing you.

You aren't "bending" a whole lot if you're 6th on D and have a good 3rd down D as well.

That characterization of "bend don't break" is simply wrong.

(This post was last modified: 01-14-2017, 11:14 AM by irontrooper83.)

Todd Wash, who led the Jaguars’ defense to a Top 10 ranking in his first season as defensive coordinator this past season, will remain in that position. Jaguars Executive Vice President of Football Operations Tom Coughlin and Head Coach Doug Marrone made the announcement Saturday morning.

“Todd Wash is an experienced and creative defensive coach – and he has done an excellent job with the defense here in Jacksonville,” Coughlin said in a statement.

Marrone, who served as the Jaguars’ interim head coach for the last two games of last season, served as the Jaguars’ assistant head coach-offense/offensive line since the beginning of the 2015 season. Marrone in that capacity worked closely with Wash on a weekly/daily basis.

Coughlin, like Marrone, mentioned possible changes to the defense. The Jaguars under former Head Coach Gus Bradley ran a 4-3/3-4 hybrid defense that emphasized single-high safety play and a strong-side defensive end opposite a lighter pass-rushing defensive end known as a “Leo.”

“Todd will bring his own ideas and changes to our defensive unit and will make this a strength of our team going forward,” Coughlin said.

“The strength of this team last season was the defensive line and the linebackers – and as a unit, the defense kept this team in games and gave them a chance to win several times,” Coughlin said.

Quote:You aren't "bending" a whole lot if you're 6th on D and have a good 3rd down D as well.

That characterization of "bend don't break" is simply wrong.

I think people are still throwing that term around in response to the cover 4 and prevent looks from the back seven that we saw a little too often last season. It gives up the short stuff and makes bigger "soft spots" in the zone for intermediate passes. 

i.e. - the 4th quarter of the colts when Luck was finding those soft spots quite easily.

I don't think anyone really wants to see our DBs giving this much cushion to Dorsett and Hilton next year:

[Image: giphy.gif]

NFL.com ^

Ramsey was playing a great game that day, and they backed him 10 yards off of the L.O.S. in the 4th quarter.  That's weak. 

Wash was stuck in Gus's scheme which did not allow for players to do anything but their assigned role...such as be in an assigned position, don't jump routes, just be where you are supposed to be et.al...This year I anticipate more of a read and react scheme

Quote: 

<div> 
“Todd will bring his own ideas and changes to our defensive unit and will make this a strength of our team going forward,” Coughlin said.

“The strength of this team last season was the defensive line and the linebackers – and as a unit, the defense kept this team in games and gave them a chance to win several times,” Coughlin said.

</div>
boom

Quote:Wash was stuck in Gus's scheme which did not allow for players to do anything but their assigned role...such as be in an assigned position, don't jump routes, just be where you are supposed to be et.al...This year I anticipate more of a read and react scheme

I'd like to see more read and react for certain players who are proven beasts. But the vast majority of players, like Alualu and Cyprien, need to simply be automotons who fill their gap, stalemate their assiged man, and not be single-handedly responsible for a big play.  

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote: 

<div>“The strength of this team last season was the defensive line and the linebackers – and as a unit, the defense kept this team in games and gave them a chance to win several times,” Coughlin said.

</div>
Interesting how that worked out, considering after the Gipson & Amukumara signings and the drafting of Ramsey, many, including myself, felt the secondary would at least no longer be a weakness, if not an out right strength.

If DL was a strength, he must have a higher opinion of Ngakoue and Fowler than we may have realized.

If LB was a strength, I think that bodes well for Poz staying on another year.

I can only imagine how much of a strength it would have been if they allowed Jack to play more!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:I'd like to see more read and react for certain players who are proven beasts. But the vast majority of players, like Alualu and Cyprien, need to simply be automotons who fill their gap, stalemate their assiged man, and not be single-handedly responsible for a big play.  
True enough...I was basically thinking of the reports from some of the players where they said things like they had a certain assignment for the plays called and they were not to anticipate anything or jump routes just "do your job" 

Quote:I'd like to see more read and react for certain players who are proven beasts. But the vast majority of players, like Alualu and Cyprien, need to simply be automotons who fill their gap, stalemate their assiged man, and not be single-handedly responsible for a big play.  

I'd love to see a nickel package from this team that includes Myles Jack and a strong safety that can actually cover. 

It would allow them to play more aggressively in a number of different situations. 

Which players in particular?

Could you explain the contexts they would read and react?

I wouldn't want to take away from their aggressiveness.

Quote:I'd love to see a nickel package from this team that includes Myles Jack and a strong safety that can actually cover. 

It would allow them to play more aggressively in a number of different situations. 
This x 1000...especially now that we have Ramsey.

Quote:Which players in particular?

Could you explain the contexts they would read and react?

I wouldn't want to take away from their aggressiveness.
I know you were talking to someone else, but I have gathered from the players opening up that they really don't like Gus's scheme because it's a scheme with no exceptions...You do your job and nothing else...If your job is to set the edge against the run, then set the edge but do not try and cover the RB who ran straight out to the sideline as a check down receiver because the offense called a passing play, that's someone else's job...That's the kind of thing I am assuming when I read that player(s) question the scheme and are told not to jump routes and to just "do your job"