Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
So... Toby Gerhart

toby was hurt so drob got some carries, wow drob is good, toby is healthy oline playing better. all this adds up to

Toby was to be featured back, but with the emergence of Drob i think we will goto the two back system and have two featured backs. it will help preserve Drob some he is not a big bruser and u cant put a full load on him im not sure his body would take it.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This past weekend, I noticed not so much what Denard was doing, but from watching the replays I noticed that holes were being opened by the OL. Frankly, I saw holes open up that a truck could have gone thru. That's a really good sign. That said, there is no question that Toby Gerhart underperformed the first few games. But, alot of that was the OL and I see them now as a greatly improved since those first games. Once Toby got injured, he was behind the 8 ball and it "significantly" affected his abiltity to run the ball with any sense of power or speed at all. Had that not happened though, we would not have discovered DRob's talents as a runner. So, all was not lost in Toby's injury. Now, that he appears to be healthy once again, if the team uses both backs and plays to their strengths, from a running game aspect, we may have rounded the corner. Now, if we can just convince Bortles to quit telegraphing his passes and if he improves his accuracy substantially, the JAGS will be interesting to watch and just might surprise a few by season's end. On paper, it looks very promising, but paper doesn't win games. We shall see.

Quote:Hopefully he doesn't take snaps from DRob, I mean he has one decent run, more of an exception than the rule. 
Who was that guy in MN then?  Health and blocking make a difference.

Quote:Who was that guy in MN then?  Health and blocking make a difference.

Min is Min, what has he showed here is all I care about.  Like I said hopefully they don't try to even up the carries, I said last week if they want to throw him in on 3rds thats whatever, if they try to give him a larger roll it's just a wasted down. 

Quote:Min is Min, what has he showed here is all I care about.  Like I said hopefully they don't try to even up the carries, I said last week if they want to throw him in on 3rds thats whatever, if they try to give him a larger roll it's just a wasted down. 
Yeah, who wants logic.

Quote:Min is Min, what has he showed here is all I care about.  Like I said hopefully they don't try to even up the carries, I said last week if they want to throw him in on 3rds thats whatever, if they try to give him a larger roll it's just a wasted down. 
If they dont even up the carries Drob may not make it to the end of the season.

Quote:Yeah, who wants logic.

Your logic is what exactly? Since he was ok on another team in the past it'll all translate to this team, despite the fact he hasn't shown anything through 7 games but a run for 12 yards. 

Quote:Your logic is what exactly? Since he was ok on another team in the past it'll all translate to this team, despite the fact he hasn't shown anything through 7 games but a run for 12 yards. 
That he wasn't healthy and our O line was horrendous.  Look at DRobs stats early this year.  What he did in MN was against the NFL, no fluke. 

Logic.

Fair enough, I'll discount this season.

Dumb.  The point is, look at the facts and don't discount his early season struggles.  If the O line performs and he is healthy and can't get it done, then stop giving him snaps.  If he can be productive, it's a blessing to lessen the burden on DRob.

I thought I was supposed to discount the early struggles on the grounds it was the worst oline ever and his lingering injury.  Him being a HOFer in MIN and all seems only fair.  

Quote:I thought I was supposed to discount the early struggles on the grounds it was the worst oline ever and his lingering injury.  Him being a HOFer in MIN and all seems only fair.  
Ok, i won't reason with you anymore.

Quote:Ok, i won't reason with you anymore.

Dude I'm agreeing with you, his 36 attempts were a thing of beauty.

If Gerhart can turn his season around (and I agree that better Oline blocking and time to recover from his injury have to be a factor !) then that will be a major boost for the team.

And maybe it will be the end of the daft nicknames too - we can only hope...

Quote:TG

2014-09-07 1 JAX @ PHI L 17-34 18 42 2.33

2014-09-14 2 JAX @ WAS L 10-41 7 8 1.14

2014-09-21 3 JAX   IND L 17-44 9 32 3.56

2014-09-28 4 JAX @ SDG L 14-33 10 32 3.20 1

DR

2014-09-07 1 JAX @ PHI L 17-34 3 8 2.67 

2014-09-14 2 JAX @ WAS L 10-41 0 0   0

2014-09-21 3 JAX   IND L 17-44 8 33 4.13

2014-09-28 4 JAX @ SDG L 14-33 9 25 2.78 0

There's your stats from the first 4 games when the Oline was horrifically bad. It didn't matter at the time who was getting the ball, they were all unproductive because of the instability in front of them. Denard better? Sure, I'll buy that today, but let's not act like it clear and apparent from week 1, they were all unproductive back then.

Denard is unquestionably better suited for our system. It's not even close. I'm fine with Toby being used in short yardage situations and on screen passes where he can get rumbling downhill. However, running him repeatedly on zone stretch plays like we did in the first part of the season on early downs is asking for 3rd and long and a putrid running game. Denard is far better suited to be the feature back behind this line and in this offense.

He's a good guy to have on the roster, but probably not a full-time starter. His problem is he's overpaid for that role, especially with the market for RB's being so depressed.

It doesn't matter, it's not my money.

Your team doesn't have to be full of "bargains"... Sometimes you can have a backup that's beinb paid nicely, it's not like paying Toby will somehow destroy our future. If he plays well and contributes, he's worth what he's getting IMO.

Denard is on a dirt cheap contract and has another 2 years left on his deal so who cares.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Gerhart has always been great at coming off the bench as a change-of-pace backup and a pounder in short-yardage situations. I see him continuing in this role.

'02

if u cant see the diff in blocking i have no hope for any of you.......smh

(This post was last modified: 11-05-2014, 07:34 AM by ThatsGoodJaguars.)

Sure, blocking makes a difference. But, as several people have already stated, he severely under performed the first few weeks.

Toby Gerhart = Fullback? Tight End? Offensive Weapon!  :yes:

"It was Blake Bortles the whole time. They believe in this kid. He reminds me a bit of a young Ben Roethlisberger." ~Mike Mayock