Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Fire Special Teams Coordinator Mike Mallory

I have never seen one team get 5 kicks (or 4) in one year, even on the college level.

It's coaching- and even having young players isn't an excuse for me here, as you know you have to emphasize this and the importance.

ST gave away at least 10 points.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I've seen nothing thus far in the media.  I did send Oehser a question about it. It seems to be helping, so  I'm all for it. Wish he'd have done it sooner. 

Is it just me, or does it seem like the past few weeks we've seen a little more press and man coverage from the corners?  Seemed like Babich had them lined up off of the line more often early in the season.  

Seems like it to me. Makes sense because Bradley made it a point of emphasis about challenging routes in the first month of the season. 

What is strange, is that it seemed we pressed a lot last year, and then this year with the same pair of corners, we opened the season playing off more. Whatever the reason, I'm glad they've gone back, our guys are clearly better with pressing the line.

Quote:I expected about 2-7 or 3-6 at this point this season as well.  The fact of the matter, IMO, is that the sheer number of rookies and stretches of poor QB play made that impossible.

Could coaching have been better?  Abso-friggin-lutely.  My gripes:

I don't like that it took so long to give Denard more snaps.

I don't like that it took so long to make the O-line look remotely functional.

I don't like that special teams has become an issue when it was fine last year and the bottom of the roster is improved.

I don't like that Bradley apparently had to take hold of the reins on defense in an effort to keep offenses from exposing our zone coverage so frequently.

I don't like that Bradley had to learn some game management skills "on the job." 

I don't like running on 80% of the first downs in a game - including every time on the first six possessions.  ( I'm ALL about establishing the run, but we can do it without telegraphing how to stop us on first down a little better. )

There are issues with the staff IMO, but I think what has made the team suffer has been youth, inexperience and bad QB play. 

If Bortles puts the work in and we can shore up FS and LB,  I think the team and the coaches look a hell of a lot better next season. 

That that [BLEEP] I don't like.

Good list though.  On your last point, I think Jedd wants this offense to be mostly you know what is coming but can't stop it with some trickery mixed in.  He doesn't want the balance to fall too heavy into the latter.  

With so many young players on the offense they can't consistently win one on one.  Players get better each year by winning their one on one match ups and playing within the system.  We want the second and third year leaps halfway through most of the offense's first year.

I mean, who on the offense other than Shorts and Beadles have started 16 games prior to this season?

Quote: 

What is strange, is that it seemed we pressed a lot last year, and then this year with the same pair of corners, we opened the season playing off more. Whatever the reason, I'm glad they've gone back, our guys are clearly better with pressing the line.
 Exactly.  I'm a little mystified by that change and subsequent adjustment. I guess they'd ideally want to play a softer zone but will need better play from much of the back 7 to make it happen effectively. (primarily FS since so much gets funneled his way) 

Quote: 

I mean, who on the offense other than Shorts and Beadles have started 16 games prior to this season?
Nada.

Will T. had 10 starts prior I think.  Pasztor had 8 or 9 at tackle and a few incomplete games at guard I believe. 

Quote: Exactly.  I'm a little mystified by that change and subsequent adjustment. I guess they'd ideally want to play a softer zone but will need better play from much of the back 7 to make it happen effectively. (primarily FS since so much gets funneled his way) 

I don't know, listening to Gus, it sounds like he wants the exact opposite to me. Maybe Babich was channeling his inner Lovie Smith and Bradley gave him some leeway.

Quote:I don't know, listening to Gus, it sounds like he wants the exact opposite to me. Maybe Babich was channeling his inner Lovie Smith and Bradley gave him some leeway.
Haha.  I think I've tied my brain in a pretzel trying to figure out what they are trying to accomplish and how they are compensating for weaknesses in that secondary.   :teehee:

At one point it all made sense to me, and then after watching all of the blown coverages with safeties, linebackers and corners left standing about shrugging at each other, I guess I just got lost. I'd love to see someone in the know really break down the secondary and scheme in the Philly game  and the secondary from the cincy game.  I know they both were bullied and blew coverage at times, but in different ways, and the current approach seems more sound to me. 

Quote:Haha.  I think I've tied my brain in a pretzel trying to figure out what they are trying to accomplish and how they are compensating for weaknesses in that secondary.   :teehee:

At one point it all made sense to me, and then after watching all of the blown coverages with safeties, linebackers and corners left standing about shrugging at each other, I guess I just got lost. I'd love to see someone in the know really break down the secondary and scheme in the Philly game  and the secondary from the cincy game.  I know they both were bullied and blew coverage at times, but in different ways, and the current approach seems more sound to me. 

Dalton got some deep passes on us, but at least there was coverage there. I chalk it up to him just making a better throw. I don't really remember any blown coverages on the level that we saw in September.

Quote:3 blocked field goals, 2 blocked punts. Its time for heads to roll.

If Bradley doesn't fire him then he should be fired himself.

Quote:LOL.  I feel very calm. Am I not supposed to respond to a post that implies I'm "part of the problem?" 
lol at the start of the sentence indicates that minor butthurt has occurred

its okay it happens to all of us

/love your knowledge though, man

Quote:lol at the start of the sentence indicates that minor butthurt has occurred

its okay it happens to all of us

/love your knowledge though, man
Awww. You're so cute.  I love you too.  

lets squash this little spat and get on to supporting our team

what say ye?

Quote:lets squash this little spat and get on to supporting our team

what say ye?
Not that expect you to hold up on that, but I'll play nice if you will...

Ah, i was wondering who had to be fired after this loss. 

Quote:Not that expect you to hold up on that, but I'll play nice if you will...
come on now, give me the benefit of the doubt at least

Quote:come on now, give me the benefit of the doubt at least
Ok. Moving on then...

fist bump offered as olive branch

[Image: fist.png]

Quote:I expected about 2-7 or 3-6 at this point this season as well.  The fact of the matter, IMO, is that the sheer number of rookies and stretches of poor QB play made that impossible.

Could coaching have been better?  Abso-friggin-lutely.  My gripes:

I don't like that it took so long to give Denard more snaps.

I don't like that it took so long to make the O-line look remotely functional.

I don't like that special teams has become an issue when it was fine last year and the bottom of the roster is improved.

I don't like that Bradley apparently had to take hold of the reins on defense in an effort to keep offenses from exposing our zone coverage so frequently.

I don't like that Bradley had to learn some game management skills "on the job." 

I don't like running on 80% of the first downs in a game - including every time on the first six possessions.  ( I'm ALL about establishing the run, but we can do it without telegraphing how to stop us on first down a little better. )

There are issues with the staff IMO, but I think what has made the team suffer has been youth, inexperience and bad QB play. 

If Bortles puts the work in and we can shore up FS and LB,  I think the team and the coaches look a hell of a lot better next season. 

I agree with about everything you say. I'll admit I'm impatient as hell. But being a fan of a perennial loser will do that to a man. 

I'm not one to call for firing a coach mid season but.... YIKES! Three blocked field goals, two blocked punts (one for a safety), a punt return of over thirty yards, a kick off going out of bounds.... what the heck is going on with the special teams? Apparently, nothing good beyond Todman's returns. I suspect someone's seat is feeling rather warm now....

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

Quote:Ah, i was wondering who had to be fired after this loss. 

Of all the asinine fire the coaches now beggings... this is the only one so far that actually makes a little sense.

Time for a serious re-evaluation of everything ST related.

Right now, the bullseye is on the protection team.  Blocked kicks and punts point to a problem up front.

A chronic one.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:No apology. Only a middle finger.
dont worry about him

his own mother says he should have been spat

simple truth isguys have been missing their blocks

pasztor on the tacks blocked kick (probably not helped by being out early on) smith on one of the punts

we are a young team and this wasnt a problem last year

its unacceptable and needs to improve

if this is costing us points next year then heads need to roll