Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The case of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:We like to call the newer generation of Jaguar fans, "Generation Jaguar".

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2013/5/14/42...ns-stadium

Yep, generation J

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I became a fan when I moved here in 2001.  I started following the team simply because I believe in supporting the home team, but after a few years i got season tickets and they became my favorite sports team in any sports and replaced the Jets as my favorite NFL team.  

Why do you believe in supporting the home team? If there was a lot to hate about the Jaguars, I certainly could not root for them just because they are the closest team to Gainesville.

Quote:Why do you believe in supporting the home team? If there was a lot to hate about the Jaguars, I certainly could not root for them just because they are the closest team to Gainesville.

[Image: Implied-Facepalm.jpg]

Huh

I'm an out of town fan that fell in love with the team as a kid. I was 8 when I first saw them on TV, upsetting the bills. They were just fun to watch. And I started growing closer and closer to them. Especially in 2003... I started watching drafts start to finish, and started posting on these boards to get my daily fix
No commercial messages in sigs

Cat Attack, facepalms are stupid for the kind of question I asked. Until someone explains it to me, I will never understand why people think they have to root for a team just because it is the local one. I am a strong opponent of that because I lived between the Bengals and Browns most of my life and don't like either team.

Quote:Cat Attack, facepalms are stupid for the kind of question I asked. Until someone explains it to me, I will never understand why people think they have to root for a team just because it is the local one. I am a strong opponent of that because I lived between the Bengals and Browns most of my life and don't like either team.
So you like every other team in the nfl
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Cat Attack, facepalms are stupid for the kind of question I asked. Until someone explains it to me, I will never understand why people think they have to root for a team just because it is the local one. I am a strong opponent of that because I lived between the Bengals and Browns most of my life and don't like either team.

I don't think anyone said you have to root for the home team, selecting a favorite team is all arbitrary anyways. . 

(This post was last modified: 11-02-2014, 01:09 PM by jag86fan.)

Quote:Since Oct 1993. (when franchise was awarded to Jacksonville)
Wasn't it November 30, 1993?

Oops, JW beat me to it...

"Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia."
;
Charles Schultz
;

;
"The harder I work, the luckier I get."
;
T-Shirt at District Wrestling Meet.

Quote:Wasn't it November 30, 1993?

Oops, JW beat me to it...
Yes, you are both correct. November is what I should have typed. 

(Though I guess I was really a fan before either of those months since I remember attending a Touchdown Jacksonville! rally prior to that. )

I was and still am a Bills fan. I grew up in western NY. But in 95 when the Jags and Panthers entered, it was an opportunity for me to watch a team from birth, the Bills being already 30 years old when i started watching football as a toddler. I pick the jags over panthers because of my afc favoritism. I moved to L.A. in 97 and still never missed a game. Jaguars are #1 Bills are #1b, love and hate them both. I miss the 90s. Bills owned the first half then Jags killed in the second half.

Most people remain fans of other teams when they move to Jacksonville because their ignorance leads them to associate the Jaguars with the Gators due to the Florida - Georgia game played in the stadium each year. And teal is a horrible color... just not as bad as brown... but really close.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:So you like every other team in the nfl
Good call predator, good call.

Yes, it's improvement, but it's Blaine Gabbert 2012 level improvement. - Pirkster

http://youtu.be/ouGM3NWpjxk The Home Hypnotist!

http://youtu.be/XQRFkn0Ly3A Media on the Brain Link!

Quote:Peyton must store oxygen in that forehead of his. No way I'd still be alive after all that choking.

Quote:As a curious individual I was wondering if the Jaguars suffer from fan apathy due to the city having such a large transplant population.

Seems in my daily interactions many folks just grew up somewhere else and remained loyal to their teams such as GB, NE, and many others.

Is this true? I know having grown up in Indianapolis that for years the Bears maintained a high level of the fan base. That changed around 1995 and with so few transplants the fans started coming around to where now on Friday that city is

Die hard Colts Blue!!

How did most become Jaguar fans? Did you group here? Why did you become a fan?
65,000+ fans in the stands this past Sunday in one of the biggest arenas located in one of the smallest markets... what apathy???

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

The more the merrier?

Quote:The Jags have been so bad, for so long, it will take a bit of time for some of the bandwaggoners to get on board.    We're doing pretty well (ticket sales wise) without them.  When we start consistently winning Everbank will be ROCKING.   

The media in Jax is pathetic.  Not Bob Lamey pathetic... but pretty bad.

I've heard clips of clots radio broadcasts and always thought the guy calling it was annoyingly whiney sounding but never knew his name and never cared to look it up.  You just gave that annoying voice a name and I couldn't agree more with your statement.  Worst play-by-play voice I've ever heard.  Not that our guy Frangie is much better, but at least he's doesn't sound whiney.

I'm a Jacksonville native that grew up a Redskins fan.  I was immediately a fan of the Jags when we got the team but kept the Redskins as my favorite team for a few years.  Somewhere around the '99 or '00 season I realized how ridiculous I was being by holding onto the Redskins.  I was a Jacksonville native for crying out loud.  I still pulled for the Redskins for a couple of seasons beyond that as my 2nd favorite team, but I couldn't care less about them now.  I always razz a few people I know that are either Jacksonville natives or have lived here a very long time about their team affiliations.  This is YOUR city... how can the local team not be YOUR team?  But in the end, most people like a winner.  We haven't been one in a long time.  I guess me and most others on this forum are just gluttons for punishment.

I live in France, and my favorites teams are the Packers (since Brett Favre area) and the 49ers (since Joe Montana area). This year, I learned that the Jaguars will probably play their eight home games in London from 2017, and now I am interested in this team (Blake Bortles area). The European fans dream to have a European Divison with London, Paris, Barcelona, Milano, Berlin for NBA and NFL since at least 10 years, and things are changing Smile

You "learned" wrong.

Quote:I live in France, and my favorites teams are the Packers (since Brett Favre area) and the 49ers (since Joe Montana area). This year, I learned that the Jaguars will probably play their eight home games in London from 2017, and now I am interested in this team (Blake Bortles area). The European fans dream to have a European Divison with London, Paris, Barcelona, Milano, Berlin for NBA and NFL since at least 10 years, and things are changing Smile
uh, no, nothing like that has been announced.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

(This post was last modified: 01-01-2015, 01:00 PM by CSO14.)

I was 10 when they started their first year.  In '96 when they went to the AFC championship game against the Patriots, I was hooked.  Oh, and I was born/raised in J'ville, so it was a given I suppose.  Before that, the family were Cowboys fans.

[Image: 160572067683e562faff2fbedb33413b.gif]