Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Do you want Blake Bortles to succeed?
Yes, he deserves more chances.
No, he clearly is not the answer.
[Show Results]

Do you want Bortles to succeed?

There is no reason the poll shouldnt show 100% for yes. Just goes to show that people here are too stuck on their own agendas.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:There is no reason the poll shouldnt show 100% for yes. Just goes to show that people here are too stuck on their own agendas.

Needing to be right > wanting our Jaguars to succeed.
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

What a dumb question! If your a Jaguar fan you want him to succeed. Will he succeed remains to be seen!

Quote:There is no reason the poll shouldnt show 100% for yes. Just goes to show that people here are too stuck on their own agendas.
Well the problem is that the question has absolutely awful answers.

You can want Blake to succeed but also think he's not the answer.

Quote:Well the problem is that the question has absolutely awful answers.

True. I was basing it off of the topic title. 

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

I want Bortles to succeed,but I don't wanna wait on him to do so... He has had 3 losing seasons.. How long will it take for him to succeed is the better question?

I want him to get about 5 or 6 games to prove he's the guy or not in 2017 - with a second option waiting in the wings that isn't named "Henne." 

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017, 06:21 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:I want him to get about 5 or 6 games to prove he's the guy or not in 2017 - with a second option waiting in the wings that isn't named "Henne."
I think you'll know within 3 games (If not 2 games) whether or not we need to move on from the bortles experiment. I don't think you need to blow more than a third of the season to see if he's done enough to be the franchise qb.

Remember... 2017 will be his 4th year as qb.

Quote:Well the problem is that the question has absolutely awful answers.

No.  The problem is the question is posed by someone that has an agenda.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:I think you'll know within 3 games (If not 2 games) whether or not we need to move on from the bortles experiment. I don't think you need to blow more than a third of the season to see if he's done enough to be the franchise qb.

Remember... 2017 will be his 4th year as qb.
Thanks for the update on your opinion. Obviously mine differs. 

We'll see how it plays out. 5 games feels right to me.  You're less patient. I get it. 

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017, 06:53 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:Thanks for the update on your opinion. Obviously mine differs.

We'll see how it plays out. 5 games feels right to me. You're less patient. I get it.
Has nothing to do with patience. A lot of folks like to let things run for an extended period of time before making a decision. That's definitely one approach. And if that is yours, more power to ya.

But it doesn't take 5 games to see if he still throws like an Egyptian. It doesn't take five games to see if he still throws wobbling ducks or balls right at defensive backs he wasn't expecting to be there.

That's all I'm saying. If you think 5 or 6 games in is the arbitrary cut off... Ok.

But its not patience that allows one to keep at something when the results still haven't been fixed (hypothetically speaking).

Hopefully he comes out next season throwing better and not making mistakes. We'll all be able to see the difference, or lack thereof, pretty quickly. He's a 4th year qb... No need to coddle him like a toddler anymore.

It's not a lack of patience. Its a recognition of accountability.

As an addendum... Questioning my patience feels like you are trying to insult me. I've sat through watching every one of these games during the Gus (bad word removed) Bradley era. I don't think anyone should be questioning the patience of any fans on this message board that can say that. Patience... That's just a ridiculous slight to throw on any jag fan around these parts.

(This post was last modified: 01-12-2017, 06:59 PM by WingerDinger.)

Of course we want him to succeed. The question remains if he can though.. It's up to him and I'm a big skeptic.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:That's all I'm saying. If you think 5 or 6 games in is the arbitrary cut off... Ok.

I don't think there will be anything arbitrary about it. I came up with 5 games after considering  various factors that may come into play such as:

• giving a likely re-vamped O-Line time to gel
  • establishing a run-game
  • evaluating Blake's play vs. varying defensive schemes and quality of play
Maybe that gets done in 3 games, but I doubt it. I think in the end, they need more than three games to properly evaluate his effectiveness after an offseason presumably spent getting his footwork and mechanics ironed out. 

I know you think you've got Blake all figured out, and maybe you do, but I feel like he's been a complete roller-coaster and I want to see if he can consistently play like the "high-points" of that  ride instead of the dips.

I don't think three games in 2017 will make my mind on the matter unless he's just miserably bad in three straight games. I don't anticipate that happening. 

Quote:I don't think there will be anything arbitrary about it. I came up with 5 games after considering various factors that may come into play such as:
  • giving a likely re-vamped O-Line time to gel
  • establishing a run-game
  • evaluating Blake's play vs. varying defensive schemes and quality of play

Maybe that gets done in 3 games, but I doubt it. I think in the end, they need more than three games to properly evaluate his effectiveness after an offseason presumably spent getting his footwork and mechanics ironed out.

I know you think you've got Blake all figured out, and maybe you do, but I feel like he's been a complete roller-coaster and I want to see if he can consistently play like the "high-points" of that ride instead of the dips.

I don't think three games in 2017 will make my mind on the matter unless he's just miserably bad in three straight games. I don't anticipate that happening.

Lol, I never claimed I have bortles all figured out. But the major faults in his game that bother me are clear to see.

I'm looking for his mechanics issues to be resolved, because in my mind he'll never be an accurate qb that can make all the throws with the bad mechanics we saw in 2016. That is something we all will be able to see fairly quickly.

I understand that you are more deliberate and I can respect that - your looking for other factors in addition to his mechanics.

Perhaps it would be safe to say that, in a way, we are both correct in our approaches. Seeing if he can maintain a high level of consistency can take significantly longer than just focusing on his throwing motion and accuracy.

And fyi, when I mentioned that we will be able to see whether or not he's progressed in his mechanics would take till about week 3, I wasn't trying to criticize your approach. Just pointing out that the specific weakness in his throwing motion will be able to be determined sooner rather than later.

Heck, yeah!  Of course I want Blake to succeed.  He's a quality kid.  Has tons of character.  Always stands up and takes responsibility.  And he has shown flashes.  And he's had some success.  I pulling for him to get it fixed this off-season.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Fix the O-Line!

Yes, of course I want him to succeed. I really can't imagine a genuine Jags fan not wanting him to succeed here. What kind of fan would want him to fail just so they can say they were right? If that's the case, then they aren't really a fan, they are something else entirely.

I asked myself  2 honest questions about Bortles near the end of this past season: I said self "can you honestly see Bortles leading the Jaguars into a playoff berth AND can you honestly see Bortles winning a playoff game as a starting QB?

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Yes, of course I want him to succeed. I really can't imagine a genuine Jags fan not wanting him to succeed here. What kind of fan would want him to fail just so they can say they were right? If that's the case, then they aren't really a fan, they are something else entirely.

I asked myself 2 honest questions about Bortles near the end of this past season: I said self "can you honestly see Bortles leading the Jaguars into a playoff berth AND can you honestly see Bortles winning a playoff game as a starting QB?

Your inner self then shook the subconscious Magic 8-Ball inside your soul as you waited with baited breath... "Outlook not so good."

Quote:Does wanting Bortles to fail, to finally see an end to his time here in Jacksonville, make someone a bad fan? 

It definitely makes them an idiot.

Quote:Your inner self then shook the subconscious Magic 8-Ball inside your soul as you waited with baited breath... "Outlook not so good."
Ha! That's probably pretty close, however...

Blake never seemed right to me again until the second Titans game (edit: Follwing GB). I can't put my finger on what it was and I don't for a moment believe all of that was injury related but he was clearly "off" for most of the season.

Regardless, discounting his fumbles, I would be perfectly content and dare I say happy with week 16 and 17 Bortles next season. I mean, clearly he's capable...I think we all can see that. It's just what the hell do we have to do to get that guy to stick around long-term?
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Of course I want him to succeed. I would happily suffer having every bad remark I've made about Blake be shoved in my face with a fat "I TOLD YOU SO" if he comes out balling next season.

But, like others said, evidence doesn't really lend to that being likely so...