Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Percy Harvin Traded to New York Jets

It's going to be hated by fans but it was a good move by Seattle. Guy can't stay healthy, wants too much money and is reportedly a head case. Cut him loose now while there is value.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

John Clayton of ESPN is reporting that the pick will be between a second and a fourth round pick.

Seahawks traded 1st/3rd/7th-round picks for Percy Harvin and came away with 10 games, 27 catches, 322 yards from scrimmage, and 2 TDs.

ouch

didnt see that coming but it makes sense for both sides

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2014, 06:38 PM by knarnn.)

Quote:didnt see that coming but it makes sense for both sides

It would've made sense for the Jets 3 or 4 weeks ago. They currently sit at 1-6. Harvin isn't going to come in and turn that mess around. This reeks of a last ditch effort for Idzik and Ryan to save their jobs.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Seahawks traded 1st/3rd/7th-round picks for Percy Harvin and came away with 10 games, 27 catches, 322 yards from scrimmage, and 2 TDs.

ouch

You forgot to note the weak draft class.
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:He must have really been a problem in the locker room. Can't be anything less then a 3rd right?

He didn't do much with Seattle when you think about it, I dunno guess we're just all caught off guard.

He did more then you think. He effected defenses even when he didn't touch the ball.  I'm surprised they made this move and there must be something else to this story.

Quote:He did more then you think. He effected defenses even when he didn't touch the ball. I'm surprised they made this move and there must be something else to this story.

How about this:

Quote:While the truth may never fully emerge, initial indications suggest that there was stress between Harvin and quarterback Russell Wilson, with Wilson feeling too much pressure to get the ball to Harvin.  That pressure surely came from only one person — Percy.

And so instead of keeping around a guy who really didn’t contribute much to the run to the Super Bowl and who potentially would undermine the attempt to get back to the Super Bowl and win it again, the Seahawks cut the cord on Harvin.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/seahawks-admit-lack-fit-harvin-move'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/seahawks-admit-lack-fit-harvin-move</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:didnt see that coming but it makes sense for both sides
He still has 5 years left on his deal.  Its not just for this year.

Quote:Devil's advocate:

I wonder if Caldwell made an attempt to acquire him with such a low price tag.

Why would the Jags want/ need Harvin?? He'd be like our 3rd best WR soon. 

We're already going to be having trouble finding enough footballs for the existing WR corps. 

He's a cancer. Reportedly gave Golden Tate a black eye and nearly fought Russell Wilson.

Pete Carroll is the ultimate players coach. If he can't coach you, there's a problem.

Percy Harvey
[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I know he has a big contract and is injured too often, but I personally believe that a healthy Percy Harvin is a fringe top 10 WR with all that he can bring to an offense. To dump him for a conditional mid round pick is just crazy to me.
133 yards in 4 starts this season. That's more like a fringe bottom 10 starting WR.

A classic case of not living up to the hype.

Quote:Why would the Jags want/ need Harvin?? He'd be like our 3rd best WR soon.

We're already going to be having trouble finding enough footballs for the existing WR corps.

Trust me, I totally agree. But I'm sure there are a few on here that probably wish we would've traded for him.

Back to devil's advocate:

Considering Caldwell drafted Ace to fill that Harvin role, would it have made since for Caldwell to trade for the "original" Harvin, especially with potentially an easy to swallow 4th round pick if he doesn't work out? I think most would agree Harvin>>>>>Ace.

(This post was last modified: 10-17-2014, 10:35 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:John Clayton of ESPN is reporting that the pick will be between a second and a fourth round pick.

It would make it harder for them to deal for Mariota next April.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:It would make it harder for them to deal for Mariota next April.

Which in turn, may hurt us. Unless Caldwell is willing to give a bargain to the eventual new GM.

Quote:Seahawks traded 1st/3rd/7th-round picks for Percy Harvin and came away with 10 games, 27 catches, 322 yards from scrimmage, and 2 TDs.

ouch

At the end of the day, he helped them get the ring with his performance in the Super Bowl.

A bit of a cancer, maybe, but that was a case of a team swinging for the fence and actually knocking it out, and they should still be good for years to come.

I don't know how Jets fans are feeling.  But I think they are good at head coach and QB (for now IMO).   They don't have skill talent on offense, and haven't had it for since I can't remember.   They have one problem. Team was stuck in play defense run the ball == superbowl syndrome (part of this is on Rex I would assume), which I think they are getting away from with this move.   This is a good move by the Jets, IMO.  It's a clear message they want to get better on offense.  And they saw how much of an impact Harvin had in the Superbowl coming off the injury.  

Harvin is iffy, and always has been if we're being honest.  But this is a good move by a team trying to change their ways and trying to establish themselves as players in the modern NFL.  

Quote:I don't know how Jets fans are feeling.  But I think they are good at head coach and QB (for now IMO).   They don't have skill talent on offense, and haven't had it for since I can't remember.   They have one problem. Team was stuck in play defense run the ball == superbowl syndrome (part of this is on Rex I would assume), which I think they are getting away from with this move.   This is a good move by the Jets, IMO.  It's a clear message they want to get better on offense.  And they saw how much of an impact Harvin had in the Superbowl coming off the injury.  

Harvin is iffy, and always has been if we're being honest.  But this is a good move by a team trying to change their ways and trying to establish themselves as players in the modern NFL.

Not sure how much this helps them, TBH.

The Jets are what...1-6?

If you assume WR is the main reason for that start, it should still take another week or two minimally to get acclimated with the Jets.

They have games coming up against Buffalo, at KC and Pittsburgh in the next four weeks-all possible trouble spots- with another NE matchup later. They would have to finish 9-7 to even have a shot at the playoffs, and that means winning 8 out of the last 9.

Now if Harvin s as big of a cancer as many have stated...adding him to that unstable situation (searing media spotlight, outspoken and bombastic head coach, starting QB who is young, inconsistent, and showing signs of not being able to handle the pressure of the NY market), and you have a potentially explosive situation if things don't go well immediately.

As I mentioned earlier, if the Jets miss out on the playoffs, even if he has the impact they envision, giving up anywhere between a 2 and a 4 for him could hurt them if they want to clean house next year and trade up for Mariota.

Not sure this is the right move for the Jets.

Seahawk fan here. Per Bob Conddotta of the Seattle Times:

"One source confirmed a report that Harvin had gotten into an altercation with former Seahawk Golden Tate prior to the Super Bowl that resulted in Tate getting a black eye.

A source also said Harvin had an altercation with Seattle receiver Doug Baldwin in the week leading up to the final preseason game this August at Oakland that resulted in Baldwin getting a cut on his chin and each player being excused from practices that week. Harvin, who did not practice for two days prior to that game, did not make the trip to Oakland for what the team said at the time was “a personal matter.”

One final straw, a league source said, came in Sunday’s 30-23 loss to Dallas when Harvin apparently balked at going back into the game in the fourth quarter. Harvin played 26 of 48 official snaps but did not play 11 of the final 17."

Doug Baldwin is a universally beloved player for the Seahawks by the fans who is a embodiment of Always Compete and the idea that you earn your place on the Seahawks. His impact the last three years doesn't show up on the stat sheet as it should. If the above is true and Harvin was one of the players Baldwin claimed was resting on his laurels then good riddance. Mistake to get him. Sucks we gave up so much. We'll be a better team in the long run for it.