Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
#gamergate

I still don't get what is going on this... people getting threatened, crazy followings on twitter, something about feminists, intell, Adam baldwin... what the hell is this about... anyone know?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm a Twitterer. This is all news to me. Haven't heard of, or seen of this as of yet.

TravC59, aka JacksJags. @TravC59 on Twitter
;
; "This is really good, you want a bite, Honey?"

Quote:I'm a Twitterer. This is all news to me. Haven't heard of, or seen of this as of yet.
check out deadspin... can't link from my phone... the more I read into it, the more confusing it becomes.

Basically there's Zoe Quinn who is a female indie game developer. Her ex-boyfriend posted a big story on the internets about how she supposedly slept with game journalists and other game developers in order to get publicity for her games. The MRA's then jumped on this calling her every name in the book and saying game journalism has lost all credibility (like it ever had any) while the feminists essentially did the same to the ex-boyfriend minus the games journalism thing. People who tried to argue being in the middle on this (sleeping around to get publicity isn't OK but neither is posting someones sexual history) got dumped into one or the other category by people who can't make decisions without putting everyone in massive oversimplified boxes.

Yeah, that did get more confusing as it went, and man that was a looooong article. I stopped about half way through.

My guess is, it sounds like maybe some "gamers" playing games with people online, through the computer, playstations, xbox etc. My guess is also that some of the extraordinary spin being put on it is just that, spin to fluff it up. Idiots being idiots. I may be wrong.

;

Quote:Basically there's Zoe Quinn who is a female indie game developer. Her ex-boyfriend posted a big story on the internets about how she supposedly slept with game journalists and other game developers in order to get publicity for her games. The MRA's then jumped on this calling her every name in the book and saying game journalism has lost all credibility (like it ever had any) while the feminists essentially did the same to the ex-boyfriend minus the games journalism thing. People who tried to argue being in the middle on this (sleeping around to get publicity isn't OK but neither is posting someones sexual history) got dumped into one or the other category by people who can't make decisions without putting everyone in massive oversimplified boxes.
Much simpler explanation then that deadspin short novel, I mean article.

;

Quote:Much simpler explanation then that deadspin short novel, I mean article.
Basically what you have to remember is that a lot of gamers are still 12 year olds boys mentally and can't handle the mere idea of icky girls gaming as well and and see the idea of portraying women realistically instead of sex objects to be collected or leered at as an attack on their personal lifestyle. 

Quote:Basically what you have to remember is that a lot of gamers are still 12 year olds boys mentally and can't handle the mere idea of icky girls gaming as well and and see the idea of portraying women realistically instead of sex objects to be collected or leered at as an attack on their personal lifestyle. 
I hear ya, and understand completely.

;

Quote:Basically what you have to remember is that a lot of gamers are still 12 year olds boys mentally and can't handle the mere idea of icky girls gaming as well and and see the idea of portraying women realistically instead of sex objects to be collected or leered at as an attack on their personal lifestyle.
I believe that to an extent. I enjoy video games but I am not a misogynist. I just don't understand how this morphed into what it has... hard nerd rage I guess.

I thought this was about the website gamergate that sells overpriced pc games lol. 

Quote:Basically there's Zoe Quinn who is a female indie game developer. Her ex-boyfriend posted a big story on the internets about how she supposedly slept with game journalists and other game developers in order to get publicity for her games. The MRA's then jumped on this calling her every name in the book and saying game journalism has lost all credibility (like it ever had any) while the feminists essentially did the same to the ex-boyfriend minus the games journalism thing. People who tried to argue being in the middle on this (sleeping around to get publicity isn't OK but neither is posting someones sexual history) got dumped into one or the other category by people who can't make decisions without putting everyone in massive oversimplified boxes.

You know way too many details about this situation.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]