Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jimmy Smith Headed to Duval?

Quote:Jimmy is only a few years removed from prison. He can't even coach him self.

Maybe this will be why young players will  respect  him due to his adversity but still  landed on his  feet.    Who knows adversity better than the current Jags!  Tom knows that Jimmy has been there and will teach not from theory but from experience in life on and off the field. Give him break, let him have a second career and a chance at life.

Go Navy! Support our returning veterans!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:He can be an assistant for Keenan. .

Neither are qualified. Keenan maybe.

Quote:Neither are qualified. Keenan maybe.

What does one have to do to  be qualified as a coach? I think being a decent player that worked his way from being cut to a legitimate star in the NFL is a good start.  Jimmy can help our retrievers, he has been there and can convey that special edge that the jaguars may be missing. 

Go Navy! Support our returning veterans!

Quote:What does one have to do to be qualified as a coach? I think being a decent player that worked his way from being cut to a legitimate star in the NFL is a good start. Jimmy can help our retrievers, he has been there and can convey that special edge that the jaguars may be missing.

Have you ever known people who have a natural gift or talent but can't explain to you in the slightest how to do the same as them? Not everyone has a natural ability to teach. Coaching is teaching. Not everyone can do it. Now jimmy may be that rare bird and have an ability to do it but I doubt it. I could be wrong.

So wrong not funny.   The players who retire and are great.  Choose NOT to coach.  NOT CAN'T coach.   Deon Sanders could Coach in a heartbeat and has shown that.  As have many examples.  He was one heck of a big time play maker and route runner.   That like saying Fred can't coach RB's.  Your out of your mind. 

No substance to prove your points.  Just pointless Bias.   You and Brookyln should sit in a pity party corner together.   An absolute whine fest. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

Quote:So wrong not funny. The players who retire and are great. Choose NOT to coach. NOT CAN'T coach. Deon Sanders could Coach in a heartbeat and has shown that. As have many examples. He was one heck of a big time play maker and route runner. That like saying Fred can't coach RB's. Your out of your mind.

No substance to prove your points. Just pointless Bias. You and Brookyln should sit in a pity party corner together. An absolute whine fest.

Lol imagine Fred Taylor trying to coach RBs.

"If a defender is in your way, just blow by them with your 4.3 speed or knock them on their back. And if there is no hole to run through, just try a quick jump cut across 2 gaps. Just try not to rip your groin apart!"
Make the Jags Great Again
Blake Bortles......YOU'RE FIRED!
Dave Caldwell.....YOU'RE FIRED!

Quote:So wrong not funny. The players who retire and are great. Choose NOT to coach. NOT CAN'T coach. Deon Sanders could Coach in a heartbeat and has shown that. As have many examples. He was one heck of a big time play maker and route runner. That like saying Fred can't coach RB's. Your out of your mind.

No substance to prove your points. Just pointless Bias. You and Brookyln should sit in a pity party corner together. An absolute whine fest.

I have nothing to do with other posters opinions. I can think on my own. Here are the facts about jimmy. He's an ex con junkie that was forced to retire early because he cant control him self. He's also never coached before in any capacity at a professional level. That's a fact. But go ahead and live in a fantasy where all players can be great coaches. That is plain stupid and not true at all.

Quote:I have nothing to do with other posters opinions. I can think on my own. Here are the facts about jimmy. He's an ex con junkie that was forced to retire early because he cant control him self. He's also never coached before in any capacity at a professional level. That's a fact. But go ahead and live in a fantasy where all players can be great coaches. That is plain stupid and not true at all.
Look man if you knew how many hundreds of people I have known that went from streets to big time positions.  It is not funny.  If have not walked in others shoes.  Shouldn't be so shallow. 

#Gojags

Quote:Have you ever known people who have a natural gift or talent but can't explain to you in the slightest how to do the same as them? Not everyone has a natural ability to teach. Coaching is teaching. Not everyone can do it. Now jimmy may be that rare bird and have an ability to do it but I doubt it. I could be wrong.

This is true. It's the former players who had to overcome a lack of natural talent who usually make the best coaches.

I'm also very concerned about the cocaine angle. Soward, Reggie W., and Mattloaf were all rookies when Jimmy Smith was the voice of experience at WR. Was he responsible for turning them on to cocaine? Reggie and Matt were considered high-character picks. Soward wasn't, but his college problems were with authority, not drugs. Maybe Jimmy Smith had nothing to do with that, but it's a risk the team shouldn't take. Jimmy deserves all of the accolades and his place in the ring of honor, but please keep him away from the players.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I have nothing to do with other posters opinions. I can think on my own. Here are the facts about jimmy. He's an ex con junkie that was forced to retire early because he cant control him self. He's also never coached before in any capacity at a professional level. That's a fact. But go ahead and live in a fantasy where all players can be great coaches. That is plain stupid and not true at all.

Here is another fact: nobody knows if he would make a great coach or not. There's only one way to find out. We haven't made the playoffs in almost 10 years. What do we have to lose if Coughlin gives him a shot? Nothing really.

I don't like this move.

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 12:40 AM by Teal Time Radio.)

Quote:This is true. It's the former players who had to overcome a lack of natural talent who usually make the best coaches.

I'm also very concerned about the cocaine angle. Soward, Reggie W., and Mattloaf were all rookies when Jimmy Smith was the voice of experience at WR. Was he responsible for turning them on to cocaine? Reggie and Matt were considered high-character picks. Soward wasn't, but his college problems were with authority, not drugs. Maybe Jimmy Smith had nothing to do with that, but it's a risk the team shouldn't take. Jimmy deserves all of the accolades and his place in the ring of honor, but please keep him away from the players.
There is no such thing as natural talent.   All these kids and the parents had to afford football stuff and all types of classes and sports for 10 years or more.  None of that is cheap.  It is easy to say from the outside.  But the reality is no such thing as gifted or natural talent.  

No matter how fast, tough, strong willed,  what type of hands, feet, mechanics, or, height.  Even the practice squad players have trained all their lives.   Harder than most of us ever have or will.  

#Gojags

Quote:Lol imagine Fred Taylor trying to coach RBs.

"If a defender is in your way, just blow by them with your 4.3 speed or knock them on their back. And if there is no hole to run through, just try a quick jump cut across 2 gaps. Just try not to rip your groin apart!"
Haha Anytime you have a physical freak they tend to make not so good coaches. 

I agree with you on the coach part, but you also don't have to talk about Jimmy as if he killed someone. He had a problem and has since taken the steps to put it behind him forever. 

Maybe he has an interest in becoming an intern, like Greg Jones.

Quote:I don't like this move.
What move?

What lies behind us, and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Quote:Neither are qualified. Keenan maybe.

Someone better let Keenan's current employer know he's not qualified to do the job he's doing already.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I wouldn't mind bringing in some of the old alum as assistant coaches, or some cases the primary. At least they could provide info and context on what winning football looks like and how the playoffs felt.....
Let's Get Em!!!! Go Jags!

(This post was last modified: 01-11-2017, 09:52 AM by SpeedyG.)

Quote:This is true. It's the former players who had to overcome a lack of natural talent who usually make the best coaches.

Fred is in a different boat than Jimmy. Yes, Jimmy had lightning-speed. But his route-running is also HoF-level. It is the combination of that route running and speed that made him great. From what we've seen from social media, Jimmy has already worked in the off-season with at least Hurns. He's been building his resume to be a coach. I don't think he should be given THE WR coach, but I'm fine with him starting out as an assistant.

Fred's just a physical freak. You can't teach the moves that he made. We often hear about how athletes today are better because of training, nutrition, etc. But even now, I haven't seen a guy as big as Fred run like Fred. Some have his power, some have the speed, some might have the agility. None have them all in one elite package.

Quote:I agree with you on the coach part, but you also don't have to talk about Jimmy as if he killed someone. He had a problem and has since taken the steps to put it behind him forever.

Maybe he has an interest in becoming an intern, like Greg Jones.

If any former jag receiver has earned the chance to coach WRs it's Keenan. Not jimmy. I said jimmy may have an ability to do some minor consulting but not part of the paid staff. He hasn't put in that grind yet with any team.

The goal here is to hire qualified coaching candidates that will put in the hours and ability to teach our players to maximize their talents on the field..It would be plain idiotic to fire a lifetime coach like jerry sullivan just to bring in some dope head for nolstalgia.

This is about winning a Super Bowl not hiring child hood idols. If my opinion rubs you the wrong way so be it. I'm about winning not appeasing some childhood memories.

W/O reading this thread - I feel very certain that Jimmy making a trip to Jax has nothing to do with him becoming part of the staff. 

He's a guy you bring in for a week to hang around the guys at camp to encourage and drop a little pearl of wisdom here and there  -- not a guy you actually add to the staff.