Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
How good IS Bortles?

Quote: Luck.
at this point in lucks career he lost to the 2-14 jaguars lead by blaine gabbert....

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:at this point in lucks career he lost to the 2-14 jaguars lead by blaine gabbert....
Luck also went 11-5 and took his team to the playoffs in year 1... 

I always look at completion pct for any QB. If he is accurate in dinks and dunks and he can throw the deep ball perfectly which Bortles can, it means this kid has something special.  Plus he can move in the pocket and throw on the run (both sides). Unless he is screwed by bad coaching or have a lack of talent around him, I don't see how he can't be great.  They need some safety net for him whom he can go to. Bortles is made to play like Brady after Brady became Brady.  Remember Brady had a good team around him and he had to do only few things on his first few years. Samething for Luck, Roethlisberger. They had #1 receiver, Tightend or something whom the QB can go to.  This kid has nothing. ARod  and Lee are all rookies and Cecil got injured.

This kid is going to be something special once he figures it out. It takes some time to figure out. They had to let this kid play on his own, let him throw interceptions and let him learn from it. Don't do what JDR and Mularkey did to their QBs. like protect the ball etc play conservative etc. That would be a recipe for disaster. Also they got to better protect Blake. Atleast he shouldn't get the direct hit on him. Couple occasion he got hit (Thanks to burst Joker). 

Bortles never loses confidence in throwing the ball up to his receiver to make a play no matter how many times he may drop the ball. I like that. Keep going after it. Nice to have our qb of the future

Quote:While I agree that Bortles is playing well and coaching is a huge issue, I wouldn't say that Bortles is playing better than any rookie QB that I can remember. Thats a bit steep. Russell Wilson of only a few years ago was playing better, IMO. 

Bortles has only thrown 4 total TD passes in 4 appearances. Thats pedestrian. 

well if Bortles threw 50% for only 126 yards and 1 INT you would probably say that he is the next Gabbert

He's the best player on our team, and it's not close.

I think Bortles will have the ability to call his own plays at the LOS by next year. He looks like he is progressing THAT fast.

He's awesome, too bad he's on the worst team in the NFL without a legit coach or GM.

Quote:He's awesome, too bad he's on the worst team in the NFL without a legit coach or GM.

What is your agenda against the GM?

Quote:He's awesome, too bad he's on the worst team in the NFL without a legit coach or GM.

Bortles is awesome. Who drafted him again?

Quote:Bortles is awesome. Who drafted him again?

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut.

Point margin w/o Bortles: 27-105

Point margin w Bortles: 54-80

Along with that, Bortles has played a game more than Henne. So it's looking a lot better.. The team's been competitive since he stepped on the field.

Quote:Luck also went 11-5 and took his team to the playoffs in year 1... 
Luck also had Reggie Wayne, Freeney, Mathis, and an O-Line that had much more experience than ours

Quote:They had a better cast no doubt. But a Super Bowl team they were not...at least not in Russ' first year.

With Wilson being the major change to the team that year without much else other than injury filler, the were in the playoffs and barely lost in the divisional round to Washington after winning the wildcard.  The roster Wilson inherited was prepped for a deep playoff run when he started, and may have been Superbowl quality.

Quote:Blake Bortles has it.. because he was thrown to the wolves and has risen to the challenge. (Unlike that Blaine guy)

I blame this inept coaching staff on not surrounding him with a veteran WR.

I blame this inept coaching staff on actually believing Bortles could sit behind Henne for a year after preseason play.

I blame this inept coaching on our lack of running game and dialed down playbook
.. Why are we passing 10 yards in and every play.. The Mad Dog spoke on this.. teams don't have to be honest against us. I thought these slant route end arounds, 2 yard completions were done with. We have a QB who can sling it.. maybe it's on receivers if they can't separate downfield but that's on the coaching staff and GM.

At least our "we will run, run, throw, punt days seem to be over. It's been 7 years of the same [BAD WORD REMOVED]. Disrespected offense and lapse of judgement defense.. when will it change!  

First, I actually blame Justin Blackmon for Bortles not having a veteran WR.  That and injuries, but I guess a different coach could fix that :/

I guess the coach can just magically fix the online that's pretty much completely new with rookies at the majority of the spots.  

The screens and short slants are there because the running game sucks.  You still need to have the plays that get you into third and short and that's exactly what those plays did against the tacks.

Coach can fix all of this.  Absolutely all of it.

Or maybe we can actually get another offseason under everybody's belt so that we're not needing to start our 6th and 7th round draft picks every week.  

The short passes are because of no running game, but also because the WRs have trouble getting open and the OL has trouble protecting. 

I know we all want Bortles to drop back and sling it, but right now that will just expose him to big hits.  He can't grow, progress, or bond with his offense if he's injured.  Plus, you may never get back the guy you drafted - think of Brunell after the knee injury, he could still run a little but the Houdini scrambles were gone. 

I want to see how our QB plays when he has a line than can run block better and pass block for more than 2.3 seconds.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:I want to see how our QB plays when he has a line than can run block better and pass block for more than 2.3 seconds.
Wait he is getting 2.3 seconds to throw the ball? thats a lot better then the 1.7 seconds Gabbert use to get i guess the line is improving. :teehee: