Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Overtime rules

Quote:Got it

So everybody not named Mike Holmgren wanted this. 

The 8 current representatives in the competition committee who represent all the current players, owners, and coaches wanted this rule change.  They determined the old OT system was stupid- so they changed it. 

Move on.org

Eight people is not the whole league. The 32 NFLPA representatives can tell you what the players want, but not those eight guys.

And the NFLPA does not participate in annual owners meetings were rule changes are made.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Eight people is not the whole league. The 32 NFLPA representatives can tell you what the players want, but not those eight guys.

And the NFLPA does not participate in annual owners meetings were rule changes are made.

Are you serious? 

Are you seriously insinuating that the OT rule change was done AGAINST the wishes of the players/owners/coaches in the NFL??

Think about things before you post.

[BLEEP] about a washed up Mike Holmgren pining for the glory days of old in the NFL. 

EVERYBODY WANTED THE RULES CHANGED SO A COIN TOSS WOULD NO LONGER DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. 

Hate the new OT rules. I actually like the college OT wayyy better. There are no ties in college football (or maybe there are, can't think of a time there has been one so I don't know if there's a limit to OTs)

10 years ago we had Bob Hope, Johnny Cash, and Steve Jobs..... Please don't die, Kevin Bacon.

Quote:Hate the new OT rules. I actually like the college OT wayyy better. There are no ties in college football (or maybe there are, can't think of a time there has been one so I don't know if there's a limit to OTs)

There are no ties in college. During the third overtime, a team must go for two if they score a touchdown.

I hate that even worse. It is one reason I prefer the NFL. But something is better than nothing, obviously.

Quote:Hate the new OT rules. I actually like the college OT wayyy better. There are no ties in college football (or maybe there are, can't think of a time there has been one so I don't know if there's a limit to OTs)

I was about to say the same thing.  It's one of the few things the NCAA has gotten right.

(This post was last modified: 10-15-2014, 11:46 AM by The Mad Dog.)

The NFL should just eliminate ties altogether. 

First TD in overtime wins. 

No clock in OT. It continues until theres a winner. 

Quote:The NFL should just eliminate ties altogether. 

First TD in overtime wins. 

No clock in OT. It continues until theres a winner.
Overtimes are a Roger Goodell conspiracy.

I don't understand why everyone is complaining about a tie. At least each team had a chance to do something about it.

And it makes the tie-breakers a lot more simple, should it come to that.

Where is it written that there should always be a winner?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I don't understand why everyone is complaining about a tie. At least each team had a chance to do something about it.

LOL! Why is the bolded not surprising coming from you?..... one who agrees with the "everyone should get a trophy" philosophy. Laughing 

Quote:I don't understand why everyone is complaining about a tie. At least each team had a chance to do something about it.

Because there are systems in place currently that prevent a tie.  It typically works out in the amount of time that it takes to add an extra quarter.  It's more exciting....ask the players from both teams, neither were happy with a tie.

Quote:Because there are systems in place currently that prevent a tie.  It typically works out in the amount of time that it takes to add an extra quarter.  It's more exciting....ask the players from both teams, neither were happy with a tie.

Well, we certainly want everyone to be happy!

Sudden Death was instituted to make the television networks happy. They want to get a game over quickly so they can get on to the next one. How often have we found ourselves yelling at the screen "Hurry up and get this game over so I can see Cowboys v Seahawks!" (or you fill in the blanks)

Sudden Death was perceived to be so unfair - the defense gives up 40 yards and the team loses on a 47 yd. field goal - that they decided to ensure that each team at least gets a shot.

Ties have been a part of football for one hundred years. You would think an old codger like TMD wouldn't want to trash the game's history so easily. 

Quote:Well, we certainly want everyone to be happy!

Sudden Death was instituted to make the television networks happy. They want to get a game over quickly so they can get on to the next one. How often have we found ourselves yelling at the screen "Hurry up and get this game over so I can see Cowboys v Seahawks!" (or you fill in the blanks)

Sudden Death was perceived to be so unfair - the defense gives up 40 yards and the team loses on a 47 yd. field goal - that they decided to ensure that each team at least gets a shot.

Ties have been a part of football for one hundred years. You would think an old codger like TMD wouldn't want to trash the game's history so easily. 

Lol, if a majority of the audience would agree that the college overtime was better than the NFL current overtime rules, then yes, the majority would be happy.

Overtime is a small piece of football, and changing it wouldnt break many hearts.   Interesting ot is so near and dear to your heart.

I think the overtime rules are bogus. Idc how long the game takes, but you have to make it fair for both teams. None of this: whoever scores forts or if you get a field goal the other team can but a TD ends the game bs. Make it a set time limit and keep going on into more 15:00 "quarters" as necessary.

I don't see a problem with the overtime rules as they are.  After all, how often does a game end up a tie?

If ties happened more often, then perhaps there should be a change.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Lol, if a majority of the audience would agree that the college overtime was better than the NFL current overtime rules, then yes, the majority would be happy.

Overtime is a small piece of football, and changing it wouldnt break many hearts.   Interesting ot is so near and dear to your heart.

Uh, I think you forgot the subject. It's about ties, which are no big deal.

I happen to like the current OT rules.

Quote:Are you serious? 

Are you seriously insinuating that the OT rule change was done AGAINST the wishes of the players/owners/coaches in the NFL?

Think about things before you post.

[BLEEP] about a washed up Mike Holmgren pining for the glory days of old in the NFL. 

EVERYBODY WANTED THE RULES CHANGED SO A COIN TOSS WOULD NO LONGER DETERMINE THE OUTCOME OF THE GAME. 

I never said they voted against the wishes of coaches and players. My point was the NFL is so big there is no way everybody can agree on what overtime rules should be so some, not all, coaches and players wanted to get rid of sudden death. Do you really think 1,900 players and hundreds of coaches like all of the rules they must follow, including one that increases the risk of an overtime game ending with a tie? Nobody likes ties.

Quote:Well, we certainly want everyone to be happy!

Sudden death was instituted to make the television networks happy. They want to get a game over quickly so they can get on to the next one. How often have we found ourselves yelling at the screen "Hurry up and get this game over so I can see Cowboys v Seahawks!" (or you fill in the blanks)

Sudden death was perceived to be so unfair - the defense gives up 40 yards and the team loses on a 47 yd. field goal - that they decided to ensure that each team at least gets a shot.

Where did you get that idea from? The Panthers/Bengals game was bonus coverage after the Dolphins/Packers game ended, so obviously Fox did not care if fans would miss the beginning of the Cowboys/Seahawks game. CBS and Fox have been doing that for decades.

Sudden death got a bad rap. Its critics ignored the fact that often the coin toss winner turned the ball over or had to punt. If you want to get the ball in OT, play defense.

Quote:Uh, I think you forgot the subject. It's about ties, which are no big deal.

I happen to like the current OT rules.

Lol, where in my response did I forget the subject? 

If you like the current rules then there's no point in discussing this with you.  I'll never change your mind.  I would guess a majority of the fans would rather an overtime similar to college.  It's much more exciting and "fair" for both teams.

Quote:I never said they voted against the wishes of coaches and players. My point was the NFL is so big there is no way everybody can agree on what overtime rules should be so some, not all, coaches and players wanted to get rid of sudden death. Do you really think 1,900 players and hundreds of coaches like all of the rules they must follow, including one that increases the risk of an overtime game ending with a tie? Nobody likes ties.

Where did you get that idea from? The Panthers/Bengals game was bonus coverage after the Dolphins/Packers game ended, so obviously Fox did not care if fans would miss the beginning of the Cowboys/Seahawks game. CBS and Fox have been doing that for decades.

Sudden death got a bad rap. Its critics ignored the fact that often the coin toss winner turned the ball over or had to punt. If you want to get the ball in OT, play defense.

That "play defense" is ignorant and the main reason OT rules were changed.

A kick off is returned to the 30. The defense gives up 40 yards. The receiving team kicks a field goal of 47 yards. Game over.

You think that's fair? You want to see the Jaguars lose a critical games that way?

No thanks.

Quote:Lol, where in my response did I forget the subject? 

If you like the current rules then there's no point in discussing this with you.  I'll never change your mind.  I would guess a majority of the fans would rather an overtime similar to college.  It's much more exciting and "fair" for both teams.

Part of my point is that the television networks don't like games going on and on. The college OT leads to 70-64 type games and I don't think the networks would be keen on that.

And television's views matter. If they say they want games to begin at 3:00 am, games will begin at 3:00 am. It's entertainment. 

Quote:Part of my point is that the television networks don't like games going on and on. The college OT leads to 70-64 type games and I don't think the networks would be keen on that.

And television's views matter. If they say they want games to begin at 3:00 am, games will begin at 3:00 am. It's entertainment. 

Yes, and the overtime game between the Bengals and Panthers went well into the second quarter of the Seahawks game.  Your point isn't really valid.  Overtime is always going to take up extra time.

Plus, in my opinion, the college version is much more exciting than the NFL overtime.  It seems like a dull ending to a great game, especially the Carolina/Cinci game.