Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Lessons from Losing

Quote:1. Caldwell (well my idealized scenario version of him) is still GM. He would have still drafted Bortles. Gruden was QB coach in Green Bay when Favre and Brunell were developed there, I think he could do a good job with Bortles.

2. We didn't need a stud T, we'd still have Monroe in my scenario. That's part of my difference from Caldwell's actions. From a quick look at the 2013 draft (and trying to remember my thoughts at the time) I'd probably have picked Sharrif Floyd or Eric Reid in the 1st, but there were two excellent DTs available. Eric Reid fills the FS hole. LeVeon Bell would have been a great pick in the 2nd. I claim no player evaluation expertise, but hope that Caldwell would pick the right guy at the slot, whoever that may be.

If he re-signed here.  He may not have.  Floyd may not have done well here, either.  Reid might have been a nice fit.  Bell...I like him but I don't know how successful a power back would be behind this OL, which I think is why Gerhart is having such a hard time.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If he re-signed here.  He may not have.  Floyd may not have done well here, either.  Reid might have been a nice fit.  Bell...I like him but I don't know how successful a power back would be behind this OL, which I think is why Gerhart is having such a hard time.

No it has to be the RB's fault.

In all seriousness, do we think Gerhart would be a fit for Zone blocking?  I don't recall what the Vikings were using but honestly their line was better and they AP as the frontline guy.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:No it has to be the RB's fault.

In all seriousness, do we think Gerhart would be a fit for Zone blocking?  I don't recall what the Vikings were using but honestly their line was better and they AP as the frontline guy.
I don't know.

My initial and lingering impression of him is he is a power back who would thrive behind a power OL.

When I posted this someone posted a gif showing him running effectively in zone blocking concepts.  Yet of the 3-4 RBs the team has used thus far, he seems to have been the least effective.

Bullseye, I always enjoy reading your posts.
No commercial messages in sigs

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM by Bullseye.)

Quote:Bullseye, I always enjoy reading your posts.
Thank you Predator_NFLFans, knarnn, Muddylips, Jvillejagsn1 and to anyone I may have inadvertently missed.

Quote:I think Gruden is way too over hyped.

That happens when you win a Super Bowl, since you are always a Super Bowl winning coach after that.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:No it has to be the RB's fault.

Thats what I keep saying.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

I'm gonna quote you in my sig line, but will give your awesomeness the credit. Thanks in advance dude.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

The Cowboys also acquired an absurd amount of picks for Herschel Walker and had two of the best offensive players of all time in Aikman and Smith... But yes, I see your point. The bottom line is, we have a long way to go. We have the QB in place, we need to build around him. Give him every possible chance to succeed.

Quote:If he re-signed here.  He may not have.  Floyd may not have done well here, either.  Reid might have been a nice fit.  Bell...I like him but I don't know how successful a power back would be behind this OL, which I think is why Gerhart is having such a hard time.

As I stated earlier, whether or not Monroe re-signed was just a matter of money, and Florida has the advantage of no state income tax (not to mention the hassle of finding a new home and moving). Replacing Monroe with Joeckel is equivalent to flushing the pick down the toilet.

Was Gruden a zone-blocking coach? Is Arians? I really don't know. They both have a record of coaching with successful running attacks. Maybe the running game would have been much better with a different OL coach, or a different offensive scheme.

To toss another factor in there, in an earlier discussion I remember coming to the conclusion that some of the best zone-blocking RBs have been bigger power guys. IMO Gerhart is having a hard time because he has been running behind two late round rookies and a backup RT, not because he doesn't fit the scheme. It isn't just Gerhart, none of the RBs did much in preseason, nor the regular season before the Pittsburgh game.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:As I stated earlier, whether or not Monroe re-signed was just a matter of money, and Florida has the advantage of no state income tax (not to mention the hassle of finding a new home and moving). Replacing Monroe with Joeckel is equivalent to flushing the pick down the toilet.

Was Gruden a zone-blocking coach? Is Arians? I really don't know. They both have a record of coaching with successful running attacks. Maybe the running game would have been much better with a different OL coach, or a different offensive scheme.

To toss another factor in there, in an earlier discussion I remember coming to the conclusion that some of the best zone-blocking RBs have been bigger power guys. IMO Gerhart is having a hard time because he has been running behind two late round rookies and a backup RT, not because he doesn't fit the scheme. It isn't just Gerhart, none of the RBs did much in preseason, nor the regular season before the Pittsburgh game.
I seem to recall indicia (perhaps it was nothing but message board speculation) that Monroe really did not want to re-sign here.

As of April of last year, there were no contract extension talks between the team and Monroe.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...d-jaguars/

If BCC is accurate here, Monroe was excited to leave.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2013/10/2/4...in/4557231

As to your last point...the running game issues may well be a matter of OL issues and not a Gerhart issue.

If you were here through part of the JDR years and then had to put up with Murlarkey, would you really want to stick around for another rebuild?

Honestly I see Smith as the only one of the departures that would have fit in with that mindset.  Sure there was some talent going out before they were done, but honestly they were done with this town and team.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

There are no lessons any more.  Losing becomes a bad habit that needs to be broken.  The Jags need to break this habit.  I expect us to lose some very winnable games before we notch up win #1.

R.I.P. Stroudcrowd1