Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags fed up with Gerhart

Quote:Why? He hardly got signed for huge money

I believe I read its only about 500k in dead money if he is cut after the season.  We are fine.

In order to rebuild, you have to destroy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Jags should use Gehart in schemes he was productive in in Minn. Excellent article details how he was utilized in Minn. Notice the money quote: "Gerhart was more successful running behind pulling guards, tight ends and fullbacks into the line of scrimmage." This is certainly why he often passed the line of scrimmage in Minn untouched and was able to run for greater gains. The Jags have to play Gerhart to his strength.

It's alot to ask from our coaches, especially the OC...  The OC has the ability to adjust to the reality around him about as fast as an air craft carrier can make a 180 degree turn.  It's slow, lumbering and painful to watch...

The fact that it has taken this long to see what Storm can do, the fact that Ace Sanders was not the one getting the quick out passes on Sunday, and the fact that Henne was starting the game against the c'lots kinda shows you the "quick" decision making going on there...

Hopefully this week Storm gets alot of touches.  But honestly, would anybody be surprised if we don't see him get that many touches this week?

I'm trying not to be hyper critical of Fish, just looking at the way he's handled past circumstances with the offense.

Quote:He should be a full back instead.
I used to think that prior to the start of the season, but a fullback is usually a power runner whom can gain tough short yardage in addition to blocking..... i havent seen Slowby do either of that...

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 11:10 AM by AllHailFreddy28.)

Quote:He might be the worst starting RB in the NFL. I honestly cant think of anyone starting I'd take Toby over.

To be honest, I can think of a handful of backup RB's that I'd rather have than Gerhart. Looking down the list, the only AFC teams that you can even argue that have worse BACKUPS than Toby are the Ravens, Titans, Texans, Raiders and Broncos.

Quote:It's alot to ask from our coaches, especially the OC...  The OC has the ability to adjust to the reality around him about as fast as an air craft carrier can make a 180 degree turn.  It's slow, lumbering and painful to watch...

The fact that it has taken this long to see what Storm can do, the fact that Ace Sanders was not the one getting the quick out passes on Sunday, and the fact that Henne was starting the game against the c'lots kinda shows you the "quick" decision making going on there...

Hopefully this week Storm gets alot of touches.  But honestly, would anybody be surprised if we don't see him get that many touches this week?

I'm trying not to be hyper critical of Fish, just looking at the way he's handled past circumstances with the offense.

I wonder who is making the calls on offensive strategy in terms of personnel and schemes to fit them. I get that Jedd is calling the plays but there seems to be some disconnect somewhere. I think Gus is a fish out of water when it comes to the offense. That could be the hang up in the communication between OC and personnel (Caldwell). I'm not sure of how the dynamic works tho. Is Jedd making evaluations of talent level/preparedness or does he just call the plays based on the active roster that day?

He's been bad, but he can play better.  We have to figure out how to use him properly and I think he will be a decent contributor.  He's definitely not THE guy though.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:"Fed up" seems an odd way to describe it. Is he being belligerent or something? I think the team is disappointed but I'd say benching is more likely than getting cut at this point.
Agreed.  I don't see them cutting him any time soon.  If that happens, it will be at the end of the season. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Agreed.  I don't see them cutting him any time soon.  If that happens, it will be at the end of the season. 

Won't get cut because of financial reasons and he can still contribute.  Will he have value = to his contract?  Doubt it.  But you've already paid him a crap ton of money for this year.  Might as well see if we can get anything out of him.  At worst, you cut him at the end of the season and take a minor cap hit.  Thank goodness we didn't ink him for long term cap ramifications.

One of these years.............

Eh. Use him to block and occasionally catch a pass out of the backfield. He's good at that.  Cut him in the offseason. Run Storm/D-Rob/Todman. 

Quote:Then Dave should go too.

[Image: stupid-o.gif] GIFSoup

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:Won't get cut because of financial reasons and he can still contribute.  Will he have value = to his contract?  Doubt it.  But you've already paid him a crap ton of money for this year.  Might as well see if we can get anything out of him.  At worst, you cut him at the end of the season and take a minor cap hit.  Thank goodness we didn't ink him for long term cap ramifications.
I wouldn't categorize what they've paid him as a "crap ton of money" in comparison to other backs in the league.  His contract was pretty reasonable, and structured in such a way that if they decided to walk away at the end of the season, the impact would be minimal.

That being said, I don't think it's time to abandon Gerhart all together.  I think that as the offensive line continues to improve, our running game will follow suit as a whole.  Gerhart will benefit, but I think it's pretty clear that the team has another guy on the roster who they are going to be looking to get more touches for, and that will impact Gerhart's role.  I think Storm Johnson could rise to the starting role as early as this week in Tennessee.  He's the only back on the roster currently who has shown any sort of field vision and legitimate play making ability. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote: 

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://gifsoup.com/view/442008/stupid.html'>[Image: stupid-o.gif]</a>

Im sorry...this was the perfect response. Im still watching it.

Stupid.

If you think I offended you, don't worry, I meant to. #facts 
  [Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-niWtlPRPNH5-2ykTqoe...WzIFU7AJaZ]
#iamlegend

Quote:I wouldn't categorize what they've paid him as a "crap ton of money" in comparison to other backs in the league.  His contract was pretty reasonable, and structured in such a way that if they decided to walk away at the end of the season, the impact would be minimal.

That being said, I don't think it's time to abandon Gerhart all together.  I think that as the offensive line continues to improve, our running game will follow suit as a whole.  Gerhart will benefit, but I think it's pretty clear that the team has another guy on the roster who they are going to be looking to get more touches for, and that will impact Gerhart's role.  I think Storm Johnson could rise to the starting role as early as this week in Tennessee.  He's the only back on the roster currently who has shown any sort of field vision and legitimate play making ability. 

I think he got paid the most by far compared to the other FA backs this past offseason

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 12:29 PM by JagsFan1.)

Quote:To be honest, I can think of a handful of backup RB's that I'd rather have than Gerhart. Looking down the list, the only AFC teams that you can even argue that have worse BACKUPS than Toby are the Ravens, Titans, Texans, Raiders and Broncos.
My mistake. Got my words mixed up. I meant was out of all the starting RBs. I cant think of one I would'nt take over Toby.

Quote:I think he got paid the most by far compared to the other FA backs this past offseason

His contract wasn't the most "by far" if you look at the actual numbers.  It was pretty much in line with what running backs were getting in free agency this year. 

2014 Free Agent Running Backs

1. Chris Johnson (Signed two-year, $8M deal with NYJ)

2. Ben Tate (Signed two-year, $6.2M deal with CLE)

3. Rashad Jennings (Signed four-year, $10M deal with NYG)

4. Darren McFadden (Re-signed one-year, $1.75M deal with OAK)

5. Andre Brown (Signed one-year, $645K deal with HOU)

6. Knowshon Moreno (Signed one-year, $3M deal with MIA)

7. Maurice Jones-Drew (Signed three-year, $7.5M deal with OAK)

8. Donald Brown (Signed three-year, $10.5M deal with SD)

9. Ahmad Bradshaw (Re-signed one-year, $855K deal with IND)

10. James Starks (Re-signed two-year, $3.17M deal with GB)

11. LeGarrette Blount (Signed two-year, $3.85M deal with PIT)

12. Anthony Dixon (Signed three-year, $3.5M deal with BUF)

13. Toby Gerhart (Signed three-year, $10.5M deal with JAX)

14. Michael Bush

15. Jonathan Dwyer (Signed one-year, $795K deal with ARZ)

16. Peyton Hillis (Re-signed two-year, $1.8M deal with NYG)

17. La'Rod Stephens-Howling

18. Justin Forsett (Signed one-year, $730K deal with BAL)

19. Jackie Battle (Re-signed one-year, $855K deal with TEN)

20. Bernard Scott

21. Felix Jones

22. Ronnie Brown

23. Willis McGahee

24. Phillip Tanner

25. Kevin Smith

I cant understand all these posts critical or calling for the replacement of Fish. We have rookie receives dropping balls and running the wrong route or stopping while the play is extended. We have an offensive line still trying to get enough playing time together so they understand the blocking assignments and work as a unit. Rookie quarterback, rookie receives, rookies on the oline making mistakes and your evaluating Fish under those conditions. As far as why one running back is playing over another, Fish is changing players and giving each game time to see who will be the starters on this team. I'm sure you  will see more Storm now that he is healthy and has flashed last week. We are not going to the playoffs this year and we need to establish who our starters will be next year. Next year when these young men have some experience then we can consider what type of job Fish is doing.  

Quote:His contract wasn't the most "by far" if you look at the actual numbers.  It was pretty much in line with what running backs were getting in free agency this year. 

2014 Free Agent Running Backs

1. Chris Johnson (Signed two-year, $8M deal with NYJ)

2. Ben Tate (Signed two-year, $6.2M deal with CLE)

3. Rashad Jennings (Signed four-year, $10M deal with NYG)

4. Darren McFadden (Re-signed one-year, $1.75M deal with OAK)

5. Andre Brown (Signed one-year, $645K deal with HOU)

6. Knowshon Moreno (Signed one-year, $3M deal with MIA)

7. Maurice Jones-Drew (Signed three-year, $7.5M deal with OAK)

8. Donald Brown (Signed three-year, $10.5M deal with SD)

9. Ahmad Bradshaw (Re-signed one-year, $855K deal with IND)

10. James Starks (Re-signed two-year, $3.17M deal with GB)

11. LeGarrette Blount (Signed two-year, $3.85M deal with PIT)

12. Anthony Dixon (Signed three-year, $3.5M deal with BUF)

13. Toby Gerhart (Signed three-year, $10.5M deal with JAX)

14. Michael Bush

15. Jonathan Dwyer (Signed one-year, $795K deal with ARZ)

16. Peyton Hillis (Re-signed two-year, $1.8M deal with NYG)

17. La'Rod Stephens-Howling

18. Justin Forsett (Signed one-year, $730K deal with BAL)

19. Jackie Battle (Re-signed one-year, $855K deal with TEN)

20. Bernard Scott

21. Felix Jones

22. Ronnie Brown

23. Willis McGahee

24. Phillip Tanner

25. Kevin Smith

alright, well his deal was probably second best behind Jennings, tied with Borwn.

It would have been nice to have a guy like Blount or Tate on our roster

Quote:I wouldn't categorize what they've paid him as a "crap ton of money" in comparison to other backs in the league.  His contract was pretty reasonable, and structured in such a way that if they decided to walk away at the end of the season, the impact would be minimal.

The team has no other choice; it needs to see if the running back of the future is on the current roster, Storm will be auditioning for that role. D Rob, Gerhart, and Todman clearly aren't feature backs, so this is a big opportunity for Storm, if he succeeds great, if not there are an abundant of elite RB prospects (Gurley, Melvin Gordon III) etc.. that would like great in a teal uniform come 2015.

As for Toby he is a north and south runner he doesn't have the speed to go around the edge. No runner will have any success if he is met at the line of scrimmage by a defensive lineman, He needs a hole to get to the second line of defense and if he gets it he will consistently get you four or five yards and more. that put the team in a good second down position. Until the line can open a hole to get pass the D line he will struggle to have success. He may never be a featured back but if the line can open up holes he can become a valuable part of this team. 

Quote:I think he got paid the most by far compared to the other FA backs this past offseason

Gerhart's contract isn't a big deal (no pun attended), he didn't receive a lot of guaranteed money, the team could cut him after the season and the financial hit would be miniscule. With that said I think the Jaguars will hang on to him, if anything else he's a sound 3rd down back who might maximize his value as a FB, I'd like to see Toby in that role. He's smart, blocks well, and has some versatility as a pass catcher out of the backfield, similar to Bruce Miller of the 49ers. Toby has a role on this team, just not as a feature back.