Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags fed up with Gerhart

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 01:02 PM by muddylips.)

Quote:I wonder who is making the calls on offensive strategy in terms of personnel and schemes to fit them. I get that Jedd is calling the plays but there seems to be some disconnect somewhere. I think Gus is a fish out of water when it comes to the offense. That could be the hang up in the communication between OC and personnel (Caldwell). I'm not sure of how the dynamic works tho. Is Jedd making evaluations of talent level/preparedness or does he just call the plays based on the active roster that day?
I think you might be right. Remember how Wayne Weaver was so reluctant to get rid of Gene Smith... even when it was obvious to everyone that Gene was killing the team? I think that Gus has this 'every one's wonderful' philosophy that compels him to give people chance after chance even when it's pretty clear to everyone else that it's a sinking ship! He waited until our offensive line and our secondary were national jokes before he canned Bradfield and Guy. Maybe that's part of what's going on with Gerhart; Gus just keeps wanting to give him another chance... at the expense of winning games....

on the other hand, maybe it's just that Toby is getting paid BIG bucks compared to the other backs we have so the front office isn't going to stand for him sitting on the bench. Maybe... I just don't know but I kinda's like posting anyways....

I y'ams who I y'ams and thats all I y'ams...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:As for Toby he is a north and south runner he doesn't have the speed to go around the edge. No runner will have any success if he is met at the line of scrimmage by a defensive lineman, He needs a hole to get to the second line of defense and if he gets it he will consistently get you four or five yards and more. that put the team in a good second down position. Until the line can open a hole to get pass the D line he will struggle to have success. He may never be a featured back but if the line can open up holes he can become a valuable part of this team. 
I think to a certain extent, some of Gerhart's struggles are tied to the fact that we just weren't using him correctly.  I also think he's playing on a bum ankle that's making things a little more difficult for him.  He can be of value to this team if they decide to use him in a more effective manner that better suits what he does well. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I think to a certain extent, some of Gerhart's struggles are tied to the fact that we just weren't using him correctly.  I also think he's playing on a bum ankle that's making things a little more difficult for him.  He can be of value to this team if they decide to use him in a more effective manner that better suits what he does well. 
Agreed but the oline has to improve the run blocking before he will see much success.

Assuming all those backs keep their current production for the time period signed:

Jackie Battle - $53,437 per yard

Maurice Jones-Drew - $19,230 per yard

Toby Gerhart - $8898 per yard

Donald Brown - $8684 per 

Peyton Hillis - $7407 per yard

Chris Johnson - $6546  per yard

Anthony Dixon - $5794 per yard

James Starks - $4095 per yard

Knowshon Moreno - $4076 per yard

LeGarrette Blount - $3235 per yard

Darren McFadden - $2897 per yard

Ben Tate - $2025 per yard

Rashad Jennings - $1973 per yard

Ahmad Bradshaw - $1068 per yard

Justin Forsett - $768 per yard

Andre Brown - SUSPENDED

Jonathan Dwyer - SUSPENDED

If Gerhart can double his production, then I think it'd be a little better of a deal, but I think he's far from starting material.  Obvious we have O-line problems.  I dont' think Forsett would be doing nearly as well here as he is there.  At the very least, we didn't overpay for MJD like the Raiders.  Still, hopefully we'll see other backs getting more and more touches.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

As a follower of this kid since he was a sophomore in high school and watching him dominate in college and then get picked by a team who at the time probably had the best RB in the league, this go round for Toby has been dis-appointing at best. So, what's changed about him? Is he all of a sudden not a very good RB or perhaps not a very good RB on this particular team? As a backup to Adrian Peterson for four years, he played pretty good for amount of time he got chances. I'd like to think the JAGS noticed this too and went after him for this specific reason. But, for whatever vreason, he has not even come close to expectations...........especially his own. The JAGS overall running game is dismal with few and far between moments of light. I'm not making excuses for Toby because all good backs (as he considers himself one) must find ways to excel in spite of circumstances and frankly he hasn't done that. That said. that can't be all on Toby because none of the RB's have broken out and had killer games. Throw in the fact that the JAGS have been getting manhandled for the most part on the OL.........that doesn't bode well for a north / south runner like Toby. He basically runs only one way and right now the JAGS might be better suited with a scatback that can get outside and do some damage. I also notice that Toby is "rarely" used on 2nd or 3rd down passing sitautions which is odd because he's actually a very good receiver coming out of the backfield. All of these backward steps the team has taken is highly noticable and if they don't find a stop gap real soon.............this season will be disasterous. For Toby as an individual, his confidence level surely must be at an all time low because for the very first time in his career he is being relegated to a RB by committee position which is a direct statement that he has NOT lived up to the hype. In my opinion, he needs to have a killer game really really soon to A: shut up his critics and B: send a clear signal to the entire coaching staff that he is NOT going to sit still and watch this opportunity to be THEE GUY slip away. But, he does not have the luxury of time on his side. He needs to perform...............NOW!

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 01:33 PM by C'MON JAGS.)

Does anyone want MJD back right now, instead of TG?

Current rushing stats for both guys after 5 games for TG and 4 games for MJD ( last game was in London so they had a bye last week)

TG  48 att          123 yards  5 games

MJD  11 att       12  yards     4 games

Note: MJD had  1 yard in 2 att in London against the Dolphins. He could be hurt, I'm not sure.

P.S. If you want to project MJD out for a 5th game just add 1.090909090909090909090909090909090909090 yards to his total yards and you will have it.

I survived the Gus Bradley Error.

Quote:Assuming all those backs keep their current production for the time period signed:

Jackie Battle - $53,437 per yard

Maurice Jones-Drew - $19,230 per yard

Toby Gerhart - $8898 per yard

Donald Brown - $8684 per 

Peyton Hillis - $7407 per yard

Chris Johnson - $6546  per yard

Anthony Dixon - $5794 per yard

James Starks - $4095 per yard

Knowshon Moreno - $4076 per yard

LeGarrette Blount - $3235 per yard

Darren McFadden - $2897 per yard

Ben Tate - $2025 per yard

Rashad Jennings - $1973 per yard

Ahmad Bradshaw - $1068 per yard

Justin Forsett - $768 per yard

Andre Brown - SUSPENDED

Jonathan Dwyer - SUSPENDED

If Gerhart can double his production, then I think it'd be a little better of a deal, but I think he's far from starting material.  Obvious we have O-line problems.  I dont' think Forsett would be doing nearly as well here as he is there.  At the very least, we didn't overpay for MJD like the Raiders.  Still, hopefully we'll see other backs getting more and more touches.  

lol, I don't think I have ever seen this many RB listed at a $$$$$ per yard rate.

TG looks like a bargain compare to MJD and Jackie Battle

(This post was last modified: 10-07-2014, 01:56 PM by FJohnson.)

Quote:It's alot to ask from our coaches, especially the OC...  The OC has the ability to adjust to the reality around him about as fast as an air craft carrier can make a 180 degree turn.  It's slow, lumbering and painful to watch...

I don't buy that. If Bortles was a running QB, in his first start the offensive game plan would be different. Different calls, different execution by the offense. It's as easy as limiting (in the case of Bortles first start) or expanding the play book to add new adjustments (which happens as the season progresses or personnel changes). The fact that they used Gerhart in a one back set tells me they didn't know how to play to his strengths, all through the preseason, and still don't. They want to feature a one back set (for whatever reason) and are rotating backs hoping someone sticks. They should have signed a guy who was productive in single back formations.

I know it's only 5 games into the season, but I think the Jags are starting to realize TG is not the RB they thought he was going to be when they signed him as a FA.

What im wondering is if they were to cut Slowby would he ever touch a field again?  They had me fooled.  I fully suppported the Slowby hype.  He has low mileage and was so productive in limited carries etc etc.......   

Storm and Todman get yardage when its there. D-Rob has been better this year and Gerhart has done nothing in the running game and sparingly in the screen game.

No pain, no gain.