Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cable (Pun Intended)

Quote:I'm strongly considering cutting tied with my cable company and just going the Netflix route (or something similar) as outside of sports I watch very little TV. I can't even watch a Jags game through cable unless I'm lucky and they play an NFL North team on the road and that game is picked or the rare prime time game. Even then I work most Sundays so if I did get lucky and it was on TV here odds are decent I wouldn't be able to watch it live.

Have any of you cut the chord and got rid of TV or just never had it? I thought I'd seen something where Eric had done it or was considering it. I pay $120+ a month for cable and Internet (most of it is cable) to watch a few things a month. The more I think about it the more ridiculous it sounds that I ever paid that much for it to begin with.

I haven't used Netflix or any streaming alternatives much so thoughts and opinions on those would be welcomed too.

When Television was FREE (as long as you paid for the hardware), it was funded by vendor's commercials.  You knew that as a patron receiving a free service you had to watch the commercials to pay for good television.

That has all changed, since Television is no longer FREE.  For most people you must pay either a satellite service (DISH/DIRECTV/ETC), Cable or Phone company (too many to  mention) in order to watch your favorite programming.  The cost of the service has gone up to ridiculous prices per month, but the vendors justify it by stating how many channels you receive (many you never wanted to begin with)...

I have always thought of my dollar as a vote for a product or service, basically supporting it & all that is gained by it.  If you give ($200votes a month) to said services and feel cheatened by the deal only to be forced to watch countless boring ads (unless you DVR / Fast Fwd thru them).  The same seems to occur with paid satellite radio, where radio was always free thanks to the ads.  The satellite radio offers higher quality programing, and at first offered no ads only to sneak them in later on.

I say we boycott all Television, Radio and other entertainment media (with the exception of the NFL) until they remove all the boring ads...

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:When Television was FREE (as long as you paid for the hardware), it was funded by vendor's commercials.  You knew that as a patron receiving a free service you had to watch the commercials to pay for good television.

That has all changed, since Television is no longer FREE.  For most people you must pay either a satellite service (DISH/DIRECTV/ETC), Cable or Phone company (too many to  mention) in order to watch your favorite programming.  The cost of the service has gone up to ridiculous prices per month, but the vendors justify it by stating how many channels you receive (many you never wanted to begin with)...

I have always thought of my dollar as a vote for a product or service, basically supporting it & all that is gained by it.  If you give ($200votes a month) to said services and feel cheatened by the deal only to be forced to watch countless boring ads (unless you DVR / Fast Fwd thru them).  The same seems to occur with paid satellite radio, where radio was always free thanks to the ads.  The satellite radio offers higher quality programing, and at first offered no ads only to sneak them in later on.

I say we boycott all Television, Radio and other entertainment media (with the exception of the NFL) until they remove all the boring ads...

Any of the a la carte services have pretty much already done this.

http://www.wired.com/2014/10/hbo-streaming-service/

^  HBO to offer standalone streaming service soon

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.wired.com/2014/10/hbo-streaming-service/'>http://www.wired.com/2014/10/hbo-streaming-service/</a>

^  HBO to offer standalone streaming service soon

Bye bye DirecTV!

Would be great if Disney did the same, they have so much content for it to make sense, though I don't really care about that, just ESPN.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

CBS is now going to offer their network live streaming online as well for 6 bucks a month. No NFL games though..........

That's going to start a domino effect I'd guess in the next 2 years just about every major channel is going to do the same.

Damn it I wish I could stream internet tv!
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

I left directv a long time ago. Got so sick of paying high prices for shotty service. God forbid you'd get a cloudy day during a football game. Went to comcast and have been there since. Decent price and love my internet connection.
[Image: SaKG4.gif]