Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Cutting the Cable (Pun Intended)

I got rid of cable in June (?)  Haven't missed it.  I didn't get to watch my beloved Buccos get hammered in the playoffs yesterday, but for the most part, that is the only thing I really wanted to watch in 4 months and wasn't able to.  I have Netflix and Amazon Instant.  Couple that with regular TV and I have plenty to watch.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:A pet topic of mine. I think Eric and NYC have both cut the cable. I keep mine around for Sunday Ticket but I think I've found a way around that also.

That being said, 90% of the time I use my AppleTV and Netflix, which is run through my AppleTV anyway. I never go without something to watch through it.

I've tried at various times Hulu Plus, Vudu and Amazon Prime and I eventually settled into iTunes and Netlix. If the NFL ever makes itself available outside of DirecTV, I'd cancel the whole thing the next day.

When we had regular internet through AT&T we cut the chord but when we bought our house 50 miles outside the city and it was satalitte internet streaming internet tv isn't possible ( hello data restrictions boooo) so it was no tv or satalitte. I caved we got the satellite tv, 4 kids and no tv at all just wasn't that brave.
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I'm about to do something similar. God I hope it works, I'm not the biggest fan of DirecTV.

Do you have satellite internet or is there regular phone lines and fiber optic options?

Quote:I got rid of cable in June (?)  Haven't missed it.  I didn't get to watch my beloved Buccos get hammered in the playoffs yesterday, but for the most part, that is the only thing I really wanted to watch in 4 months and wasn't able to.  I have Netflix and Amazon Instant.  Couple that with regular TV and I have plenty to watch.

This is probably what I'm going to end up doing.  Thankfully my cable company doesn't have contracts so there isn't any fee for canceling the service.  I don't watch nearly enough TV to justify spending over $120 a month.  

Quote:This is probably what I'm going to end up doing.  Thankfully my cable company doesn't have contracts so there isn't any fee for canceling the service.  I don't watch nearly enough TV to justify spending over $120 a month.  

Thing is, Jags are always on TV or we are at the game and college football we follow Nebraska (who is almost never on anyways) and Notre Dame (my wife's team) who are on NBC basically every week.  I basically gave up random baseball games and some hockey, but in reality, i don't miss it and can follow on the internet anyways.

As a matter of fact, the cable company gave us back basic cable for free after we canceled in an attempt to keep their subscription numbers up.  We took it, but the cable box is on a shelf collecting dust.  I haven't even hooked it back up.

“It is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.”
― Albert Camus

Quote:Thing is, Jags are always on TV or we are at the game and college football we follow Nebraska (who is almost never on anyways) and Notre Dame (my wife's team) who are on NBC basically every week.  I basically gave up random baseball games and some hockey, but in reality, i don't miss it and can follow on the internet anyways.

As a matter of fact, the cable company gave us back basic cable for free after we canceled in an attempt to keep their subscription numbers up.  We took it, but the cable box is on a shelf collecting dust.  I haven't even hooked it back up.

This maybe pointless now since everything is pretty much wrapped up, but you can get mlb.tv as a standalone service, I believe they have an app on the game consoles and most tv streaming boxes.  

Quote:Do you have satellite internet or is there regular phone lines and fiber optic options?

I have DSL from the only company that offers it out here. But my parents who live pretty close by went the satellite route and their internet is like 5 times faster than mine.

Thing is though, is we have clear skies like 98% of the time here so satellite is a solid option.

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 06:40 AM by EricC85.)

Quote:I have DSL from the only company that offers it out here. But my parents who live pretty close by went the satellite route and their internet is like 5 times faster than mine.

Thing is though, is we have clear skies like 98% of the time here so satellite is a solid option.
What company do they have? We have dish satalitte internet but they have data restrictions if we go over 10 gb as a household they basically slow it down to DSL.

I'm shocked that nobody brought up Hulu Plus. it's the perfect thing to get you off of cable and is only 8 bucks a month. You still get all your shows there from all the major networks. Save for CBS. But you can watch shows directly on their website. So you get all the benefits of cable without the cable. I saved $120 a month by going this route. 

For shows not on TV, in the long run it's cheaper to buy them off Amazon, particularly for the season, than to get cable. This is what I do for Walking Dead. 

Netflix of course is a no brainer, but you can also just spend an extra 7 bucks a month there and do the dvd mailer as well. This way you get your HBO kick. As for HBO? Find out if a friend or family member who has it and ask them for their login/pw information. HBO encourages sharing their site. Soon they will be selling it direct. 

Lastly, Sony is offering online streaming services for TV as well. Eventually everything will go through the internet, it's all being designed as such. 

Cutting the cable isn't bad. Just have to work around it. As for sports coverage? PM me and I'll give you some recommendations to view games easily online. In this post though, I recommend a digital antenna to pickup the local channels, or going to the game, going to a friends house, or to a bar/restaurant. 

Quote:I'm shocked that nobody brought up Hulu Plus. it's the perfect thing to get you off of cable and is only 8 bucks a month. You still get all your shows there from all the major networks. Save for CBS. But you can watch shows directly on their website. So you get all the benefits of cable without the cable. I saved $120 a month by going this route. 

For shows not on TV, in the long run it's cheaper to buy them off Amazon, particularly for the season, than to get cable. This is what I do for Walking Dead. 

and netflix is,

Netflix of course is a no brainer, but you can also just spend an extra 7 bucks a month there and do the dvd mailer as well. This way you get your HBO kick. As for HBO? Find out if a friend or family member who has it and ask them for their login/pw information. HBO encourages sharing their site. Soon they will be selling it direct. 

Lastly, Sony is offering online streaming services for TV as well. Eventually everything will go through the internet, it's all being designed as such. 

Cutting the cable isn't bad. Just have to work around it. As for sports coverage? PM me and I'll give you some recommendations to view games easily online. In this post though, I recommend a digital antenna to pickup the local channels, or going to the game, going to a friends house, or to a bar/restaurant. 
My understanding of things like Hulu and netflix is that you are watching episodes from the past. You aren't watching the current "season premier" when it airs on regular tv or cable...In that event, it would be like reading a book and hearing people who talked about it so you would know what was coming later...

Quote:My understanding of things like Hulu and netflix is that you are watching episodes from the past. You aren't watching the current "season premier" when it airs on regular tv or cable...In that event, it would be like reading a book and hearing people who talked about it so you would know what was coming later...

Don't people just DVR stuff and watch it at random times anyway?  

(This post was last modified: 10-03-2014, 10:54 AM by Bon Jagley.)

I have not had cable in several years. Hulu has most of your top network shows available the next day. Cable (aside from live sports) is garbage for the most part. Nearly every cable channel is 24/7 reality shows.

;

;

Quote:What company do they have? We have dish satalitte internet but they have data restrictions if we go over 10 gb as a household they basically slow it down to DSL.

Wild Blue I think. They use basically only to browse the internet a tiny bit so I have no idea how well it would work for guys like you or me that want to stream and such.

Quote:Don't people just DVR stuff and watch it at random times anyway?  
I suppose they do when it's not convenient to watch the show when it's on, but I only dvr things when I'm watching something else or otherwise not able to watch

Quote:Wild Blue I think. They use basically only to browse the internet a tiny bit so I have no idea how well it would work for guys like you or me that want to stream and such.

Never heard of that one I'll have to look them up, but avoid dish net it's horribly slow and ridiculous restrictions on data.

Quote:I have not had cable in several years. Hulu has most of your top network shows available the next day. Cable (aside from live sports) is garbage for the most part. Nearly every cable channel is 24/7 reality shows.

What?  You don't love Next Big Pawn Storage Duck War Chef Dynasty ??  That show is awesome. 

I will admit to being hooked on two and only two of those damn shows.  "Down East Dickering"  and "The First 48"  I'm hooked.  

Quote:What? You don't love Next Big Pawn Storage Duck War Chef Dynasty ?? That show is awesome.

I will admit to being hooked on two and only two of those damn shows. "Down East Dickering" and "The First 48" I'm hooked.

I'll admit I do enjoy some of those hardcore pawn, ducking dynasty and storage wars

Quote:What? You don't love Next Big Pawn Storage Duck War Chef Dynasty ?? That show is awesome.

I will admit to being hooked on two and only two of those damn shows. "Down East Dickering" and "The First 48" I'm hooked.

First 48 is great. I also get a couple of laughs from watching Beyond Scared Straight.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:First 48 is great. I also get a couple of laughs from watching Beyond Scared Straight.
Scared Queer?

Quote:Scared Queer?

It's the circle of life!
What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is agoin' on here???