Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Chargers and Tickets

(This post was last modified: 10-01-2014, 06:33 PM by haveaseat.)

They are a good team but can't sell tickets for garbage. They are (were) in constant danger of being blacked out. What's the deal?

Discuss.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I'm not sure of the answer to your question,  which is a good question.

Two thoughts come to mind that might be significant factors in why the Chargers are having attendance problems.  Both are related to their stadium situation:

1.   The stadium the Chargers play in is way outdated.    The NFL won't even consider having another Super Bowl in that facility,  despite the league wanting San Diego in the Super Bowl hosting rotation.

2.  The uncertainty of whether the Chargers will remain in the San Diego area or relocate to Los Angeles.   While L.A. is relatively close to San Diego from a geographic standpoint,  the team would no longer be the San Diego Chargers. 

I believe if the Chargers had a new stadium in or around San Diego,  tickets would be in much greater demand.

I noticed a lot of empty seats and wads surprised there weren't more people. How can a good team not sell out when the fans think we have no chance of upsetting them, especially in the less expensive upper deck?

Nice weather and beach life. Hard to sell someone away from that.
Huh

Interesting that the top threads now consider the possibility of the St. Louis Rams and the San Diego Chargers moving to LA with the Raiders also being mentioned in one post. All three teams came from LA- LA Rams, LA Chargers, LA Raiders.

Season Ticket holder since 2004. Smile

Quote:Nice weather and beach life. Hard to sell someone away from that.
San Diego and Jacksonville are very much alike in that regard.  Plus, SD is a big military town like Jacksonville, so you've got a very transient population there. 

I think all of that plays into their struggles to sell tickets.  Toss in the uncertainty about their stadium situation, and the fans probably feel like they're in a state of limbo.  I know there has been a movement to try to get a new stadium in the area, but it hasn't really gained much traction, leading to speculation that they could end up being one of the teams headed to Los Angeles. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:San Diego and Jacksonville are very much alike in that regard.  Plus, SD is a big military town like Jacksonville, so you've got a very transient population there. 

I think all of that plays into their struggles to sell tickets.  Toss in the uncertainty about their stadium situation, and the fans probably feel like they're in a state of limbo.  I know there has been a movement to try to get a new stadium in the area, but it hasn't really gained much traction, leading to speculation that they could end up being one of the teams headed to Los Angeles. 

Actually they aren't. San Diego is like a desert with little more than 10 inches of rain per year and over 300 days of sunshine. Temperatures never get into the 90s, and it rarely is in the high 80s. You can't say any of that about Jacksonville.

Quote:Actually they aren't. San Diego is like a desert with little more than 10 inches of rain per year and over 300 days of sunshine. Temperatures never get into the 90s, and it rarely is in the high 80s. You can't say any of that about Jacksonville.

What?? How about during football season? Since that is the only time that really counts. This Sunday, sunny and 75, sounds like San Diego weather to me.

Quote:What?? How about during football season? Since that is the only time that really counts. This Sunday, sunny and 75, sounds like San Diego weather to me.

FBT was talking about the general climate.

But since the topic was about selling football tickets it would only be applicable doing football season where he would care about the weather. I mean that is only common sense, oh.......never mind.....

Quote:FBT was talking about the general climate.

He was also talking about the population that lives in the climate.