Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Gus needs time - Check the Facts

Somebody had to come in here and rebuild the foundation of this team. It amazes me how many people have no understanding of where this roster was.

If we ever wanted to create a foundation to build it had to eventually happen. Sorry it happened while you are a fan now but at some point this process would take place. All the great team have had this process happen.

I don't get all into that worst team ever from statistics because they have changed the rules to make points and yardage go up. I pay attention to play on the field. This team is better than 2 years ago.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

This was 35% of the problem with our Defense --- CHAD HENNE ---- Colts game below

Drive #1 - 3 plays - 9 yards - 2:01  (time of possession)

Drive #2 - 3 plays - 7 yards - 0:55

Drive #3 - 3 plays - (2) yards - 1:13

Drive #4 - 6 plays - 19 yards - 3:44

Drive #5 - 1 play - 14  yards - 0:11 (fumble)

Drive # 6 - 1 play - 13 yards - 0:28 (half)

OUR TEAM GAVE UP ON THAT LOSER QB !!!     I don't care what words were coming out of that locker room the week prior to the Colts game, this team knew Henne sucked.  This defense will improve by 35% just because Bortles is in the game.  I know we're not allowed to say bad stuff about Henne because the $4m/year QB is such an leader in the locker room but C'MON MAN  .... YOU KILLED OUR TEAM !!!!

It's time to move on when it's determined that a mistake has been made. We should have moved on from Del Rio long before 9 seasons but Wayne's loyalty cost this franchise dearly. I'm not suggesting it's time to move on from Gus yet, but to put a time limit on it is ridiculous.

Regards.....................the Chiefjag

Quote:I don't get all into that worst team ever from statistics because they have changed the rules to make points and yardage go up. I pay attention to play on the field. This team is better than 2 years ago.

My sentiments as well.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 04:47 PM by Jinjo.)

like people have said when u inherit a team with literally no impact players it will take a few years to make the team competitive against playoff teams. i said it at the time and people complained as always, the wins past year were VERY lucky. Texans dumb penalties, Brandon weedon gifting us points and he ball, same with the tacks. Those 4 wins GREATLY distorted peoples view of this team. in reality past year they were a 2 win team at best in terms of skill level. 4-5 wins this year would have been realistic then next year when they are forced to spend In FA and we got a solid foundation is the time to start demanding a push for the playoffs.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 05:12 PM by git'er_done.)

Chuck Noll went 1-13 when he took over as head coach of the Steelers in 1969. He followed it up with 5-9 and 6-8 seasons before the Steelers went 11-3 in 1972.

I know the game has changed a lot, and this is not at all meant to compare Bradley to Noll, but sometimes just a bit of patience is needed before acting rashly. Can you imagine if the Rooneys fired Noll after the second season? Who knows how the history of the NFL would have been forever changed...

In Chuck Noll's era there this little thing he didn't have, that's called free  agency. In those days you drafted all your players so it takes more time to turn a team around than it does today.

Regards..................the Chiefjag

But we all know how free agency usually plays out. The jaguars have a strong history of poor acquisitions. I keep hearing people say on this board insanity is doing the same thing over and expecting different results.

Maybe we should try building the foundation through the draft and looking for diamonds in the rough and stop gaps is free agency instead of impact players. That is a road less traveled for us. Maybe that'll work.

Anyways how many time do we see true impact players hit free aganecy. Come on older crowd y'all know what I'm talking about here? When do you really see Charles woodson hit free ageancy?

Yeah he's a special player but that's what you need to be a contender. Special players. You draft special players. We've only had two drafts.

We don't need time per say we need players and to get real players you have to draft them which takes time

The only thing were going to target in FA is a vet corner or safety to go with cyp and maybe a guard

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 10:04 PM by AlphaJag.)

Quote:We don't need time per say we need players and to get real players you have to draft them which takes time

Hence why this team has an abundance of cap space every year. Draft pick after draft pick that busts and isn't worthy of receiving a big time deal to resign. Just a bunch of mediocre guys at best has been the norm here for way too long. Wouldn't it be nice for once to be able to resign a drafted player like Watt? Earl Thomas? Tyron Smith? etc to one of those big deals? I'm looking forward to that $80+ million contract for Bortles four years from now. 

Football is to much of a team sport for free agency to have a massive effect on team building.  Free agency is more about insuring the players are paid what they are worth, it is very rare that a team can't get a contract signed with true quality players before they hit free agency.  As such, while it is true you can build a team quicker with free agency then before it, I don't believe you can realistically reduce a complete team rebuild to 2 or 3 years.  As always there are exceptions.

Quote:Football is to much of a team sport for free agency to have a massive effect on team building.  Free agency is more about insuring the players are paid what they are worth, it is very rare that a team can't get a contract signed with true quality players before they hit free agency.  As such, while it is true you can build a team quicker with free agency then before it, I don't believe you can realistically reduce a complete team rebuild to 2 or 3 years.  As always there are exceptions.
teams generally don't let true impact players walk in free agency...You usually find the "once great" players on the twilight of their careers...You generally don't find top tier talent  like aaron rogers, freeny and mathis in free agency until they are old and their replacements have already been put on the roster...Of course there are always exceptions, but for the most part free agency won't land you the top tier players

Quote:I'm looking forward to that $80+ million contract for Bortles four years from now. 
LOL.  You think you are....................what about his girlfriend?  Banana  

When you get into the endzone, act like you've been there before.

Gus needs to figure out when and when not to call a timeout first.

(This post was last modified: 10-02-2014, 11:27 PM by wrong_box.)

Quote:Gus needs to figure out when and when not to call a timeout first.
Maybe that's why Henne is now on the sideline with Gus now

He could ask a couple of high school coaches.  I think they all know not to give the other team an extra chance to throw it into the end zone before the half expires.

Easy, just make sure that you have no timeouts at the end of each half so that ... 

... wait, why do they do that again?  

Quote:Easy, just make sure that you have no timeouts at the end of each half so that ... 

... wait, why do they do that again?  
Laughing  Forgot about that one.  I like Gus but he's really looked like a rookie a couple of times.  I haven't seen that same deer-in-the-headlights look since the last time Blaine Gabbert saw a pass rush coming.

Quote:Of course you have to look at how long each of Seattle's 11 defensive starters have been in the NFL, what roster and depth chart changes were made early on, and who has been in Seattle the longest. Then there are position coaches: Did Gus Bradley work with the same defensive line, linebackers, and defensive back coaches all of the years he held that job in Seattle? If you don't take all of this information into account, the numbers do not mean much.

Earl Thomas is only player, who started every game in last 4 seasons. Brandon Mebane missed 4 games in 2010 but after that he also started every game till today. Other than that, our defense (and offense also) changed a lot between 2010 and 2012.

Carroll's first job was to improve pass rush, so we traded for Clemons and also signed Raheem Brock as a situational pass rusher. They were both having good two years and combined for more than 20 sacks both in 2010 and 2011. In 2012 we drafted Bruce Irvin, who has shown some flashes, but was very inconsistent, so Clemons was our only reliable pass rusher. As you probably know, we also changed position of Red Bryant from DT to run stopping DE to fit Carroll's scheme. Unfortunately we lost both Bryant and Mebane because of the injuries in second half of the 2010 season and we had some really bad losses (more on that later).

In 2010 we had veteran players like Marcus Trufant, Kelly Jennings and Lawyer Milloy starting in secondary alongside Thomas. They were all too old, slow and small to play a defense we play now. Kam Chancellor get some playing time in 2010 and he take over as starter in 2011. Same year we also signed Brandon Browner and in week 6 Richard Sherman became starter after injuries to Trufant and Walter Thurmond. That's when Legion of boom was "born". Pass defense improved and we won 5 games (with 3 close losses) in second half of the season after starting 2-6.

After fixing secondary and D-Line (on most parts, because we still didn't have consistent pass rush) it was time to change LB core. K.J. Wright take over for a bust named Aaron Curry after 4 games in 2011 and a year later we drafted Bobby Wagner to replace David Hawthorne at MLB. It wasn't until last season (when Gus had already gone) when we added more pass rushers (Avril and Bennett) to complete the defense, but I think Wagner was the last missing piece.  

About coaching staff: in 2011 DL coach Dan Quinn accepts a DC job at Florida and after two seasons he returned last year to replace Bradley as DC. Todd Wash was DL coach in 2011-12 and he was replaced with Travis Jones last season. Jerry Gray was DB coach in 2010. After he left to Texas in 2011, his assistant coach Kris Richard (I think he's one of the best young coaches in the league and it will be hard to keep him for a long time) take over. Ken Norton Jr. is LB coach from 2010.  

Yes, we won 7 games in 2010 and went into the playoffs because of the bad NFC West and then won against the defending champions Saints (to silence the critics we shouldn't be there), but we also lost all 9 games that year for more than 15 points, so I know how it feels. Remember we also had two bad seasons before that when we only won combined 9 games, 4 of them against the Rams, who were one of the worst teams in the league at that time.

I don't know your team good enough, but I think the main difference between the 2010 Seahawks and 2013 (and start of 2014) Jaguars is we had more and better veteran players who did get a job done (But they were not good enough to take us where Carroll wanted and where we finally get last season, so they keep on changing the roster almost every week for the next 2-3 years.) until younger players learn the system and finally win their starting job. We are known for »redshirting« some players (especially in last 2 seasons), but Carroll is also not afraid to put a rookie into the game if he's the best player in that position (just like Russell Wilson win the job over Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson).

I know it's hard to lose, but I agree with the OP that you should give Gus at least one more offseason. There are some pieces already in place but you still need more talent before we can fairly judge job Gus and your GM are doing in building the team. And all the rookies and 2nd year players also need to gain experience on the field before we can say anything about coaching. Coaches can coach them good, but rookies will still make rookie mistakes. Of course you can criticise Gus for bad gameday decisions, but don't forget he's also a rookie HC. It's important he learns from his mistakes so he won't repeat them when the Jags are good enough to compete for playoffs. I strongly believe Gus has a potential to be a great HC, but he's not there yet.