Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Accountability -- WINSTON GUY CUT

Quote:When does competitive start? Cause we sure as hell aren't competitive yet. The fact that we are in the 2nd year and show zero signs of competitiveness is what is maddening. So year 3, maybe we go 4-12 but only lose by a TD, year 4, we go 6-10, year 5 we struggle for .500.....?

You don't think we competed against San Diego? A playoff team and Super Bowl contender? Us in the second year of a rebuild with a rookie qb making his first career start?

Are you kidding me? Did you think we were going to win that game? What did you expect?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:You don't think we competed against San Diego? A playoff team and Super Bowl contender? Us in the second year of a rebuild with a rookie qb making his first career start?

Are you kidding me? Did you think we were going to win that game? What did you expect?

I think that's the underlying issue.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:. But it'll get better because it can get much worse.

That's what we all said 2 years ago...And last year.....And this year.....

One of these years.............

Quote:That's what we all said 2 years ago...And last year.....And this year.....

Let the past regime go. This regime started from square one. Its a process so try to enjoy both the highs AND the lows.

We have our QB now. That in itself is a huge win and a successful season. The other pieces will begin to fall in place shortly.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:That's what we all said 2 years ago...And last year.....And this year.....

Two years ago this staff wasn't here and this process wasn't underway. Last year it was generally stated that it would take 3 years to gut and rebuild the roster and start competing for the division. I think other than the secondary, the team is more or less on track with where Caldwell expected.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:You don't think we competed against San Diego? A playoff team and Super Bowl contender? Us in the second year of a rebuild with a rookie qb making his first career start?

Maybe it's just me, but I was quite entertained by the Jaguars for most of that game and anyone who didn't come away from it feeling much better about the future than when Henne was starting probably has some unrealistic expectations.

The defense and o-line still need a lot of work, but having a real QB under center made the team look like a team that will actually win games against other lower tier teams. Sweeping the titans and texans isn't out of the question with Bortles starting, especially if he continues to mature as he has so far.

What did I expect?  We lost by 19 points!  That was our BEST game of the year!  Hell, I'd accept mediocrity.  I'd accept just losing close instead of being humiliated this week. 

Quote:How competitive can you expect to be looking at the roster? You'd be hard pressed to find a handful of players on our team that could start for other teams around the league.

Its a process. We're all suffering thru each and every loss. But it'll get better because it can get much worse.
Sure it could. We could be a playoff team blownout by 40+ on national tv and look even worst then the Jags are now. :teehee:

Quote:Maybe it's just me, but I was quite entertained by the Jaguars for most of that game and anyone who didn't come away from it feeling much better about the future than when Henne was starting probably has some unrealistic expectations.

The defense and o-line still need a lot of work, but having a real QB under center made the team look like a team that will actually win games against other lower tier teams. Sweeping the titans and texans isn't out of the question with Bortles starting, especially if he continues to mature as he has so far.

Yep.

Quote:Two years ago this staff wasn't here and this process wasn't underway. Last year it was generally stated that it would take 3 years to gut and rebuild the roster and start competing for the division. I think other than the secondary, the team is more or less on track with where Caldwell expected.

I see bits and pieces of hope, but it hasn't translated into being competitive.  It's like we take a small step forward and then 3 big steps back.  The offense shows some hope and then the defense goes and takes a huge step back this year even with all of the FA adds and a completely rebuilt secondary.  It's completely new from 2 years ago and they are putrid. 

Maybe I just expect too much.  Maybe expecting to watch an NFL team not look like a JV team going against a Varsity state champion team is too much. 

I guess if I expect next to nothing, I can't be dissapointed.

Quote:What did I expect?  We lost by 19 points!  That was our BEST game of the year!  Hell, I'd accept mediocrity.  I'd accept just losing close instead of being humiliated this week. 

Let’s see, the Jaguars are one of the youngest and least talented teams in the league (especially on defense) with a rookie QB making his first start traveling cross country to play one of the more talented-veteran teams in the league, who happens to have a QB playing the position better than anyone right now. I'm not sure how any reasonable fan didn't come away from the game feeling encouraged, we went toe to toe with San Diego in the first half before getting outplayed in the second, that's expected from a young team like the Jaguars. The Chargers have a championship caliber roster with a hall of fame QB, how are you not proud of the way our team played?

Quote:Let’s see, the Jaguars are one of the youngest and least talented teams in the league (especially on defense) with a rookie QB making his first start traveling cross country to play one of the more talented-veteran teams in the league, who happens to have a QB playing the position better than anyone right now. I'm not sure how any reasonable fan didn't come away from the game feeling encouraged, we went toe to toe with San Diego in the first half before getting outplayed in the second, that's expected from a young team like the Jaguars. The Chargers have a championship caliber roster with a hall of fame QB, how are you not proud of the way our team played?

Proud!?  They showed some hope that there will be improvement in the future...but proud!?  Can't wait til we get a participation trophy at the end of the year.  Bortles will be the QB of the future and I'm very excited about him.  What the bleep else is there to be proud about.  Good job guys, you didn't lose by 20 this week!  Great job, you only let them throw for 377 yards and let their receivers run wide open.  I'm not expecting our team to look like a world beater, but I am not proud to lose by only 19.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!?  Am I somehow in the minority?  Have we been beaten down so bad in the last few years that we can treat a 19 point loss as something to be proud of?

Quote:I see bits and pieces of hope, but it hasn't translated into being competitive. It's like we take a small step forward and then 3 big steps back. The offense shows some hope and then the defense goes and takes a huge step back this year even with all of the FA adds and a completely rebuilt secondary. It's completely new from 2 years ago and they are putrid.

Look beyond the score for a second. It's not putrid, it's young. Yes there are still talent gaps but it's a process underway. The gap in the NFL between the worst and best teams is relatively thin. In short, yes, I think you're expecting to much. The rebuild started last year and it's painful but we're basically a second year expansion team.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Maybe I just expect too much.  Maybe expecting to watch an NFL team not look like a JV team going against a Varsity state champion team is too much. 

I guess if I expect next to nothing, I can't be dissapointed.

I'm sorry, but the roster that David and Gus inherited wasn't even a JV roster, it was C-team-esque. The damage that was done to this roster by the former regime was unrepairable, a complete rebuild (or as Dave likes to put it "Build") was necessary. I can't think of any other NFL organization that has done anything remotely close to what the Jaguars are doing, the only player on the roster that was a legit building block when David took over happens to be a massive stoner.

Quote:I'm sorry, but the roster that David and Gus inherited wasn't even a JV roster, it was C-team-esque. The damage that was done to this roster by the former regime was unrepairable, a complete rebuild (or as Dave likes to put it "Build") was necessary. I can't think of any other NFL organization that has done anything remotely close to what the Jaguars are doing, the only player on the roster that was a legit building block when David took over happens to be a massive stoner.

I didn't realize Bryan Anger smokes the pot.

(This post was last modified: 09-30-2014, 12:03 PM by jagforlife85.)

Quote:Proud!?  They showed some hope that there will be improvement in the future...but proud!?  Can't wait til we get a participation trophy at the end of the year.  Bortles will be the QB of the future and I'm very excited about him.  What the bleep else is there to be proud about.  Good job guys, you didn't lose by 20 this week!  Great job, you only let them throw for 377 yards and let their receivers run wide open.  I'm not expecting our team to look like a world beater, but I am not proud to lose by only 19.  I feel like I'm taking crazy pills!?  Am I somehow in the minority?  Have we been beaten down so bad in the last few years that we can treat a 19 point loss as something to be proud of?

Dude settle down, the current state of the Jaguars roster is indicative to how bad it was before this regime took over, the sooner you recognize that the better off you'll be, again, I can't think of any other NFL franchise that has experienced something similar to what the Jaguars are currently going through, it's a necessary evil.

Quote:I didn't realize Bryan Anger smokes the pot.

Hahaha, the 3rd round "weapon".

Quote:Dude settle down, the current state of the Jaguars roster is indicative to how bad it was before this regime took over, the sooner you recognize that the better off you'll be, again, I can't think of any other NFL franchise that has experienced something similar to what the Jaguars are currently going through, it's a necessary evil.

Sigh...

Quote:Hahaha, the 3rd round "weapon".
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48qo6bJGgOc