Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Not So Rosy Look at Bortles' Ascent to Starter

(This post was last modified: 09-28-2014, 12:26 PM by method29.)

Quote:I think it's way too early to tell. Do remember that we've been watching Henne the first 3 games. Let's see how they look toward the end of the season, with Blake having started a dozen games. I feel like by then, he and our rookie receivers will be clicking and we'll know if things look up.

I don't blame anyone watching these first few games for being frustrated or impatient, I have been too, but if Caldwell was right on Bortles, things are going to get a lot better.
Oh yea, no doubt. Bortles is the only one they need to hit on in order to have success. If he can make the jump, the rest of the team will follow suit.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Oh yea, no doubt. Bortles is the only one they need to hit on in order to have success. If he can make the jump, the rest of the team will follow suit.

Exactly. See Andrew Luck. He has mediocre talent around him. A bad o-line, no running game and still wins 10 games every year.

Quote:I think it's way too early to tell.  Do remember that we've been watching Henne the first 3 games.  Let's see how they look toward the end of the season, with Blake having started a dozen games.  I feel like by then, he and our rookie receivers will be clicking and we'll know if things look up. 

I don't blame anyone watching these first few games for being frustrated or impatient, I have been too, but if Caldwell was right on Bortles, things are going to get a lot better.

I have no doubt in my mind David Caldwell, Gus Bradley, Jedd Fisch, Frank Scelfo, Shahid and Tony Khan, and the college scouts struck gold on Blake Bortles. He might not be the next coming of Brett Favre, but he has the "it" factor, a high football IQ, enormous potential, and all of the skills required to be a great quarterback. I guess it is fitting he wore a gold jersey the last three or four years.

The people who waited through Leftwich, Garrard, McCown, Gabbert, and Henne for someone to repeat Brunell's success and get us over the hump deserve rewards for their patience if they did not spend all that time calling for the quarterbacks to be cut. This guy is taking us to the Super Bowl in a few years. I am calling it now.

Quote:Agreed.  People think that it's easy to rebuild a roster from the foundation up in less than 2 years, and I'm left scratching my head.  They really did tear it down last year, and not all of the parts they brought in were intended to be long-term fixtures.  In fact, most of the guys they brought in were really band-aids the team was hoping they could limp by with until they did find the true fix at each position.  With such a comprehensive rebuild required, anyone who thought it was going to happen quickly was setting unrealistic expectations.

They've said year three is the point where their efforts need to start showing us something.  Hopefully they're right.
Yeah I find that some people expect to see some monumental change each season purely out of frustration from losing year after year. It's hard for some to go back and reevaluate the big picture and remain patient and realistic. This is exactly how I envisioned the season thus far, less the defensive woes.

I really believe we're heading in the right direction now and things will start to finally turn around. We just have to continue to remain patient and realistic. I know it's frustrating.

Quote:I really believe we're heading in the right direction now and things will start to finally turn around. We just have to continue to remain patient and realistic. I know it's frustrating.

It is so frustrating because everyone knows the defense needs to help the offense get on the field when you have rookies at many positions and that is not happening.

People that are upset that this team looks arguably worse than last years team have a right to be upset.

I definitely didn't expect to be down 30-0 at the half in our season opener.

How exactly are we better? You better hope and pray Bortles is the real deal because he will be able to mask a lot of our problems with his playmaking ability.

I'm not yet convinced Caldwell and Bradley are doing a good job necessarily.
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:People that are upset that this team looks arguably worse than last years team have a right to be upset.

How exactly are we better? You better hope and pray Bortles is the real deal because he will be able to mask a lot of our problems with his playmaking ability.

I am not going to judge them after less than two seasons. Wait until the rebuild is complete. Everything takes time, you know.

The whole team overall is not better, but the quarterback obviously is.

Quote:People that are upset that this team looks arguably worse than last years team have a right to be upset.

I think they'll be recognized for doing a good job eventually but I understand the fans who are impatient that we haven't seen the improvement realized on the field yet. Until this happens, this is gonna be a theme. It's not exactly the same, but I remember people wanted to fire Coughlin early in the second year too...and he had more advantages than Caldwell has had.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I think they'll be recognized for doing a good job eventually but I understand the fans who are impatient that we haven't seen the improvement realized on the field yet. Until this happens, this is gonna be a theme. It's not exactly the same, but I remember people wanted to fire Coughlin early in the second year too...and he had more advantages than Caldwell has had.

Tom Coughlin was a different animal. He was the strictest disciplinarian ever. Sometime during that second season, he loosened up and let the players do more. Now the  coach, Gus Bradley, is a guy everybody wants to play for. So when we get to the playoffs again, his player-friendly attitude will be one of the reasons.

Quote:Wait a second, was this team gutted in  September?  

I could have sworn we started this new version of the rebuild 2 draft and 2 free agent periods ago...  

Yes, there is still areas of need and yes, this team is young.  But the excuse that this team was gutted is old news.  Getting blown out was last year.  This year we should be seeing signs of life.

Not an excuse, but a fact. Two years, dude. Don't get me started on free agents, I don't want Dave to be spending a lot of cap space on them yet.

The sign of life we needed most started the second half last Sunday. This is where serious evaluation begins.

Patience, grasshopper.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:A fair question is did Jaguars' brass really have much choice?

We all saw what happened the 2nd half of the opener, the entire Washington game, and the first half last week.

That sort of production could not be sustained without alienating every Jaguars fan.
Weve all been here through the past couple years, whats the difference? Big Grin

"Snow and cold may have stopped the armies of Hitler and Napoleon, but they won't slow down the Jaguars. "
;

;
-Steve Sabol

Tell the hater who wrote the article to go home.

Quote:It is so frustrating because everyone knows the defense needs to help the offense get on the field when you have rookies at many positions and that is not happening.

No, I get what you're saying and I'm not saying I'm not also frustrated. I don't know what's going on with defense, but I wasn't expecting things to look this bad either. Some are blaming Gus and what not. Maybe those folks are correct. I don't know NEARLY enough to say it's him or what it is attributed to. I just know that I assumed defense would be playing at a much higher level this season, as a lot of others expected too. I'm just saying we have so many issues, that I expected it would take a while before we saw consistent progress. I feel ya. I really do. I'm just trying to remain hopeful that we have the correct regime and they know how to rectify the situation, which I'm patiently awaiting. If it is GM & coaching issues, I guess I'll have to be even MORE patient unfortunately lol. At least we filled a MAJOR hole we've had for years in QB. I think that's a GIGANTIC start & at least something that makes the games more interesting, fun, competitive, and hopeful while watching. Fingers crossed.

Quote:It has?  I'm not even sure Cam is the "answer" there.

Sure the Panthers are not off to a hot start, Cam is struggling and while Bortles may have better potential I'm sure most of us would be thrilled to have a talent like Cam on our team.