Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Not So Rosy Look at Bortles' Ascent to Starter

He lost me at the comparison to Gabbert.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-27-2014, 12:01 PM by homebiscuit.)

Motivation is a powerful tool.  Bortles will inspire greater production from the players, along with more effective game planning now that we have consistent talent at QB.

I feel like a lot of the authors points are easy to make in retrospect. In many cases the talent on those teams was unknown. At the begining of Luck's rookie season did anyone expect anything from TY Hilton or Ballard?

Also while a great defense will obviously help with team success, how much does it really matter for the success of the QB individually?

Quote:No they didn't have a choice at this point they had to play Bortles. However David is at fault for not having more talent on this team surrounding bortles. It's year two no excuses David dropped the ball.

I disagree. This is essentially an expansion quality roster. Dave gutted what he inherited. The vets they kept were of a quality teams would leave unprotected in an expansion draft. The success experienced by the expansion Jaguars and Panthers was an anomaly, normally new franchises struggle for years. It takes more than two years to build a viable roster.

I understand the above is hard to accept and patience has worn thin, but the reality is fans must trust Dave and Gus. Embrace and enjoy the process, besides canceling your season tickets, what other choice do you have?

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:I feel like a lot of the authors points are easy to make in retrospect. In many cases the talent on those teams was unknown. At the begining of Luck's rookie season did anyone expect anything from TY Hilton or Ballard?

Also while a great defense will obviously help with team success, how much does it really matter for the success of the QB individually?

This

Quote:I disagree. This is essentially an expansion quality roster. Dave gutted what he inherited. The vets they kept were of a quality teams would leave unprotected in an expansion draft. The success experienced by the expansion Jaguars and Panthers was an anomaly, normally new franchises struggle for years. It takes more than two years to build a viable roster.

I understand the above is hard to accept and patience has worn thin, but the reality is fans must trust Dave and Gus. Embrace and enjoy the process, besides canceling your season tickets, what other choice do you have?

That assumes the expansion team can't find a franchise level QB.

If Bortles is Roethlisberger then this team could be headed to the playoffs very quickly.

The Jaguars hit gold with Brunell and that greatly accelerated the team's ascent while the Panthers spent like drunken sailors to have a short ascent followed by a long lasting descent as they didn't have the chance to sign so many free agents and failed to find a franchise QB for years.

I get the feeling the Jaguars will actually be truly competitive with good teams at the end of this season thanks to Bortles, unlike the false competitiveness of the Jaguars at the end of the 2013 season when they squeaked out a few wins against other bottom feeding teams.

Quote:I feel like a lot of the authors points are easy to make in retrospect. In many cases the talent on those teams was unknown. At the begining of Luck's rookie season did anyone expect anything from TY Hilton or Ballard?

Our defense will give Bortles lots of reps, trying to mount comebacks.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:That assumes the expansion team can't find a franchise level QB.

If Bortles is Roethlisberger then this team could be headed to the playoffs very quickly.

The Jaguars hit gold with Brunell and that greatly accelerated the team's ascent while the Panthers spent like drunken sailors to have a short ascent followed by a long lasting descent as they didn't have the chance to sign so many free agents and failed to find a franchise QB for years.

I get the feeling the Jaguars will actually be truly competitive with good teams at the end of this season thanks to Bortles, unlike the false competitiveness of the Jaguars at the end of the 2013 season when they squeaked out a few wins against other bottom feeding teams.

We will find out soon how accurate the Ben Roethlisberger comparisons are when they play against each other. I am looking forward to that game.

Of course you have to keep in mind the Steelers had one of the NFL's best defenses 10 years ago. They also did not have two rookies and a second year player in front of him. Their running back was Jerome Bettis. All of their receivers were veterans. Roethlisberger actually played bad during Super Bowl 40. So it is not fair to to say we'll make the playoffs bnecause of Blake Bortles regardless of who else is on the team. We will make the playoffs because of many young players maturing and improving as well as Bortles himself.

Quote:Our defense will give Bortles lots of reps, trying to mount comebacks.

What is that supposed to mean? Our defense still sucks.

Quote:We will find out soon how accurate the Ben Roethlisberger comparisons are when they play against each other. I am looking forward to that game.

Of course you have to keep in mind the Steelers had one of the NFL's best defenses 10 years ago. They also did not have two rookies and a second year player in front of him. Their running back was Jerome Bettis. All of their receivers were veterans. Roethlisberger actually played bad during Super Bowl 40. So it is not fair to to say we'll make the playoffs bnecause of Blake Bortles regardless of who else is on the team. We will make the playoffs because of many young players maturing and improving as well as Bortles himself.

Yes, the quality of team around Bortles is why I'm not supposing he'll follow Roethlisberger in winning a Superbowl in his second year, but I don't think winning the AFCS next year is out of the question at all.

Quote:Yes, the quality of team around Bortles is why I'm not supposing he'll follow Roethlisberger in winning a Superbowl in his second year, but I don't think winning the AFCS next year is out of the question at all.

I am just thinking about a wildcard spot. Andrew Luck is in his third season and was more prepared to start as a rookie, so it may take a couple years for Blake Bortles to catch up.

Quote:I am just thinking about a wildcard spot. Andrew Luck is in his third season and was more prepared to start as a rookie, so it may take a couple years for Blake Bortles to catch up.

The Jaguars passing the colts won't be hinging on Bortles, it'll be hinging on the rest of the team. I think our receiving corp is really solid now and if the o-line can become solidified along with the defense learning to play the scheme Gus wants I think the team overall can be much better by the end of next year than it is right now.

Quote:I am just thinking about a wildcard spot. Andrew Luck is in his third season and was more prepared to start as a rookie, so it may take a couple years for Blake Bortles to catch up.

It will take more wins for a wild card than will take to win the South IMO. Our division is only going to out out one playoff team a year for another season or two.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Wait a second, was this team gutted in  September?  

I could have sworn we started this new version of the rebuild 2 draft and 2 free agent periods ago...  

Yes, there is still areas of need and yes, this team is young.  But the excuse that this team was gutted is old news.  Getting blown out was last year.  This year we should be seeing signs of life.

Quote:It will take more wins for a wild card than will take to win the South IMO. Our division is only going to out out one playoff team a year for another season or two.

How ironic that would be, but it has happened before in other divisions. What is the double out suipposed to be?

Quote:How ironic that would be, but it has happened before in other divisions. What is the double out suipposed to be?

Put out* typo
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:What is that supposed to mean? Our defense still sucks.
Exactly. That was implied.
No commercial messages in sigs

Quote:Wait a second, was this team gutted in  September?  

I could have sworn we started this new version of the rebuild 2 draft and 2 free agent periods ago...  

Yes, there is still areas of need and yes, this team is young.  But the excuse that this team was gutted is old news.  Getting blown out was last year.  This year we should be seeing signs of life.

I agree with you 100%. Is two years enough to completely turn us into Super Bowl contenders? No. But, should we be seeing some improvements and some actual talent on our team? Of course. I can't honestly name a single spot we've gotten better at, so far (though Blake looks like he could be a star).

Quote:I agree with you 100%. Is two years enough to completely turn us into Super Bowl contenders? No. But, should we be seeing some improvements and some actual talent on our team? Of course. I can't honestly name a single spot we've gotten better at, so far (though Blake looks like he could be a star).

Wide reciever, defensive line at least. I'd argue we have talent in the secondary to be successful there, guys just keep blowing assignments time which might be a result of inexperience in the film room. And you mentioned QB. This is basically a second year expansion team.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:I agree with you 100%. Is two years enough to completely turn us into Super Bowl contenders? No. But, should we be seeing some improvements and some actual talent on our team? Of course. I can't honestly name a single spot we've gotten better at, so far (though Blake looks like he could be a star).

I think it's way too early to tell.  Do remember that we've been watching Henne the first 3 games.  Let's see how they look toward the end of the season, with Blake having started a dozen games.  I feel like by then, he and our rookie receivers will be clicking and we'll know if things look up. 

I don't blame anyone watching these first few games for being frustrated or impatient, I have been too, but if Caldwell was right on Bortles, things are going to get a lot better.