Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Why scheduling of NFL games hinders expansion

Thursday night. 8.25PM. Football. Except it's not in the places American Football is trying to expand. In London for example, it'd be 1:25AM Friday morning. Now, the problem is that usually Thursday night/Sunday, Monday night showcases the best the NFL has to offer and so Europeans don't get to see it, unless they want to sleep at work.

Now, I'm not suggesting changing the times and Sunday/Monday night football should stay the same but would it not be good to move the Thursday night game to Friday instead? I mean, if possible, I don't know if there are special broadcasting rights but it makes sense to me. This would allow more Westerners to enjoy the NFL since staying up late on a Friday isn't an issue for most and would help with expansion. Plus, surely it'd also be good for Americans who don't have to worry about work/school and just relax

The only thing I can think stopping it being broadcast on a Friday is because of broadcasting clashes with popular TV programmes that usually air new episodes on a Friday but that's it.

Oh, it'd be good for me to and, considering my importance, I find it disrespectful it hasn't been changed yet. Boooo.

If you know an actual answer I'll be intrigued to know.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

TV ratings on Thursday Night far far outweigh those on Friday night. The League stands to make more money broadcasting a Thursday night game than they do a Friday night game.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:TV ratings on Thursday Night far far outweigh those on Friday night. The League stands to make more money broadcasting a Thursday night game than they do a Friday night game.

Fair enough, do you know why? My guess would me more people going out/other programmes on TV

Here is another theory.

Friday nights are traditionally High School football game nights.

Saturdays are College football.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Here is another theory.

This, the NFL won't try to compete with their farm programs except in very special circumstances.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Here is another theory.

Really? A high school game would stop Pro football being broadcast?

Quote:Really? A high school game would stop Pro football being broadcast?

It's not just A high school game, it's more like almost every high school across the U.S.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:Really? A high school game would stop Pro football being broadcast?

I don't think you understand
;

;

Yes it is HS football. No other reason. Gate receipts from HS football pretty much funds most sports in high school. For the NFL to infringe on that would be a bad business decision.

Ratings would suffer significantly if they moved to Friday or Saturday night for the reasons posted above.

Timing of prime time games won't be a factor even if the league expands to Europe.  The overwhelming majority of all advertising revenue is still going to come from domestic ad sales. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I'm just surprised at the fact High School football gets broadcast at all.

Quote:I'm just surprised at the fact High School football gets broadcast at all.

It's not about it being on TV. Its about not being a competitor of high school and college football when they're your free farm system.
;

;

US Code keeps them from competing with high school and college for antitrust reasons.  The 2nd Friday in September to the 2nd Saturday in December can't be telecasted if they are within 75 miles of a scheduled college or high school game...which is pretty much everywhere lol.  (http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=...ion=prelim)

Quote:It's not about it being on TV. Its about not being a competitor of high school and college football when they're your free farm system.

Ohh, I see.

Quote:US Code keeps them from competing with high school and college for antitrust reasons.  The 2nd Friday in September to the 2nd Saturday in December can't be telecasted if they are within 75 miles of a scheduled college or high school game...which is pretty much everywhere lol.  (<a class="bbc_url" href='http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title15/chapter32&edition=prelim'>http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?path=/prelim@title15/chapter32&edition=prelim</a>)

Yh, that pretty much explains it aha.

As regards to the Thursday night games, I get home from work have dinner go to sleep at 9:00 then wake up at 1:15 then go to sleep afterwards for another couple of hours, it is a pain but I like watching the fames

The Thursday night games are not off to a great start for CBS. Two blowouts and ratings tanked for the Falcons-Bucs game.

Maybe this is the NFL version of Law and Order: Trial By Jury.