Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Are we working Denard Robinson slowly like we are with Bortles?

Quote:Well I don't want to buy the fact that Henne's starting this weekend, but that doesn't change the truth now does it?

Drob's inability to block is on film. Watch some of the All-22 with him from previous games, especially from this preseason. He doesn't block well and doesn't recognize blitz pickups fast.

I'm saying their are ways of beating the blitzes with him. I'm sure he has trouble blocking just like everyone else on this team, but this guy needs the ball more!

I'm with you on Henne. He's awful.
Shock the world

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

(This post was last modified: 09-17-2014, 03:26 PM by badger.)

Quote:Well I don't want to buy the fact that Henne's starting this weekend, but that doesn't change the truth now does it?  

Drob's inability to block is on film.  Watch some of the All-22 with him from previous games, especially from this preseason.  He doesn't block well and doesn't recognize blitz pickups fast.

And screens would be great if we had guys who could actually pull block and get to the second level.

One thing I did agree with Vic on was: it's players not plays.

Todman doesn't block good either.

And the "players not plays" thing is really an oversimplification.  If it was just players and not plays, then you wouldn't even need coaches.

And Vic was saying those things all the while the team went from OC to OC.

Quote:I'm saying their are ways of beating the blitzes with him. I'm sure he has trouble blocking just like everyone else on this team, but this guy needs the ball more!

I'm with you on Henne. He's awful.

I agree that Drob should be getting the ball more.  I don't see why we can't do more 11 and 10 personel.  11 would be Drob, a TE, and 3 WR's; 10 would be Drob and 4 WR's.  Single back with everybody spread out.  Three step drops and quick passes would spread the defense out to the point where it opens up running lanes for cut-backs.  I would love to see that.  But the system Jedd uses doesn't do that very much which confuses me because if you look at our players, they're better suited for a quick strike offense using space all over the field.  But you see all these bunch formations and 5-7 step drops off play action.  I don't get it.  But then again, I'm watching, they're on the sidelines.

Quote:I agree that Drob should be getting the ball more. I don't see why we can't do more 11 and 10 personel. 11 would be Drob, a TE, and 3 WR's; 10 would be Drob and 4 WR's. Single back with everybody spread out. Three step drops and quick passes would spread the defense out to the point where it opens up running lanes for cut-backs. I would love to see that. But the system Jedd uses doesn't do that very much which confuses me because if you look at our players, they're better suited for a quick strike offense using space all over the field. But you see all these bunch formations and 5-7 step drops off play action. I don't get it. But then again, I'm watching, they're on the sidelines.

True.

The offense was so much better and "open" when Bortles was playing in the preseason.
Shock the world

Quote:I'm not a jags fan at all, a steelers fan actually. I'm not a michigan fan or a big10 fan either. I just had to sign up to throw in an outside opinion.

I actually stashed denard on my fantasy league team because he should be handling kickoff returns and maybe even punt returns (not sure about his hands there). He definitely should be getting 4-6 targets per game if not more (again hands a question) but screen passes and intermediate routes are a good chance for him to show his speed and elusiveness in the open field. I also think he should be getting 4-6 carries per game. end arounds, tosses, jet sweeps etc. God forbid the coaches show a little extra creativity and let him throw the ball on one of these jet sweeps to a receiver on the backside after the defense switches to follow him.

I added him to my fantasy team because i see his potential. maybe not as a percy harvin but a cordarelle patterson for sure. The biggest difference really is drob can even throw the ball (kind of). I could be completely wrong but what do you have to lose?

anyway just thought i'd let you know that youre not alone in this. good luck to you guys and i cant wait to see bortles start. 

p.s. i wish theyd run a flea flicker just once to see how it works against these teams that completely sell out because of the quagmire that is henne

Our OC is too competent for anything that isn't a screen or sending Slowbe Gerhart to the edge for a loss

Drob's inability to block is on film.  Watch some of the All-22 with him from previous games, especially from this preseason.  He doesn't block well and doesn't recognize blitz pickups fast.

And screens would be great if we had guys who could actually pull block and get to the second level.

One thing I did agree with Vic on was: it's players not plays.

the offensive line's inability to block is on film too. should they not see any snaps?

Quote:the offensive line's inability to block is on film too. should they not see any snaps?

Exactly. It's a bad excuse to not have DRob on the field..
Shock the world

I think its plain stubbornness on the coaching staff. That or lack of creativity. Get the ball into the playmakers hands

"I just know we need to win." - Coach Jack Del Rio

Quote:He was our leading rusher. Unimpressed? Please tell me which running back on this team does impress you and why.

Leading rusher when?  In preseason?

The only one that semi-impresses me is Toby Gerhart due to his production in Minnesota.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

One sure way to find out if the Jags problem is more the OL or more Toby Gerhart. I say put in Denard Robinson or the other guy and just see if they can do better with the same line Toby has been dealing with. If we have better luck with someone else, then maybe the thinking needs to shift from Toby as thee guy to someone else. It sure would be nice to find out exactly what the problem is. Personally, as a big Toby fan............I do not think he is the problem but we need to know. Something's gotta pop here soon or it's gonna be a real long season. (as in not many wins at all).

I still would like to see him play more...

The coaches are wrong. Plain and simple. You can counter with "they know more than you" but the chances are u said the same thing about Gene and Del rio. There are lots of dumb decisions made by NFL people. When the blocking isnt great a speed back would work much better than a slow one. He hits the hole faster and doesnt make the lineman have to keep their blocks for as long, plus he can make people miss better. My patience with Jedd is running really thin... and this is only one of the many reasons

Quote:The coaches are wrong. Plain and simple. You can counter with "they know more than you" but the chances are u said the same thing about Gene and Del rio.
There are lots of dumb decisions made by NFL people. When the blocking isnt great a speed back would work much better than a slow one. He hits the hole faster and doesnt make the lineman have to keep their blocks for as long, plus he can make people miss better. My patience with Jedd is running really thin... and this is only one of the many reasons

How can you say this with a straight face?  If you go in for an x-ray and the doctor tells you that you have a broken rib and you say "no I don't doc, the problem is you don't know how to read an x-ray", what do you think people will say?  Coaches aren't above criticism sure and sometimes they turn out to be wrong but this idea that fans know more than the coaching staff would be laughable if it wasn't so exasperating.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:How can you say this with a straight face?  If you go in for an x-ray and the doctor tells you that you have a broken rib and you say "no I don't doc, the problem is you don't know how to read an x-ray", what do you think people will say?  Coaches aren't above criticism sure and sometimes they turn out to be wrong but this idea that fans know more than the coaching staff would be laughable if it wasn't so exasperating.
If that doctor's record was 4-14 and last in the league in every offensive stat then yes he can say that.

Quote:If that doctor's record was 4-14 and last in the league in every offensive stat then yes he can say that.

No he can't. Regardless of the coach being wrong, that doesn't make somebody who watches 4 hours of football a week 20 times a year more qualified than somebody who's dedicated their lives to it.

Quote:No he can't. Regardless of the coach being wrong, that doesn't make somebody who watches 4 hours of football a week 20 times a year more qualified than somebody who's dedicated their lives to it.
Yeah he can say whatever he wants to. But if you're of the opinion that he cant which it seems that you are, it's no need to talk about this no more. I know gamblers that know more than some of these coaches you hold in high regard that you feel shouldn't be questioned. Gene Smith dedicated his life to football and right now can't find a payroll to be on. Plenty of unqualified people get opportunities they don't deserve due to people they know.

Quote:Yeah he can say whatever he wants to. But if you're of the opinion that he cant which it seems that you are, it's no need to talk about this no more. I know gamblers that know more than some of these coaches you hold in high regard that you feel shouldn't be questioned. Gene Smith dedicated his life to football and right now can't find a payroll to be on. Plenty of unqualified people get opportunities they don't deserve due to people they know.
I didn't say he couldn't express an opinion. What part of "coaches aren't above criticism" don't you understand?

But the fact remains that their opinion is always going to be less informed than the professionals. This is not a video game we're talking about.

bump for lulz

Denard > Gerhart 

shame Jedd doesn't care