Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
The Blake Bortles Effect

Quote:Bortles leads UCF to Fiesta Bowl glory and Henne leads Michigan to the biggest upset in NCAA history

Please clarify this as it seems like you're making it sound as if somehow this means Henne is way better than Bortles. 

I know you don't mean this of course as that would be insane, that's why I wondered your stance lol... 

Titansequaltrash aka my mini me. Follows me around like a cute puppy dog.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Please clarify this as it seems like you're making it sound as if somehow this means Henne is way better than Bortles.

I know you don't mean this of course as that would be insane, that's why I wondered your stance lol...

Game one of his senior year Henne lead his team to a loss at home against Appalachian State.

Quote:Bortles leads UCF to Fiesta Bowl glory and Henne leads Michigan to the victim of biggest upset in NCAA history

Honestly this perfectly sums up the entire situation all on its own.

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 03:07 AM by TheSchmidt.)

Quote:Please clarify this as it seems like you're making it sound as if somehow this means Henne is way better than Bortles.

Definitely pro Bortles, probably didn't word that the best I could haha. Edited now

Henne was the QB when Michigan lost to Appy state

Bortles was the main reason why UCF was even competing. How do you not know this? The kid is special and should be playing every game from now on. Chad Henne does not give us the best chance at winning, and I'm beginning to wonder how some people are completely fine with Henne leading this team (and failing at it) WHILE we have our franchise QB sitting on the bench! You can make a point that everyone else is failing, but the #1 position on a team is the QB. That should be the first one to get corrected...

Quote:Yeah, I felt like today was one of the worst losses we've had in some time.  It looked like OSU/Kent State this past weekend. 

Not even close. OSU was #8 and playing at home. Kent State is a MAC school. There is no way you can compare that to one of the NFL's worst teams blowing ou an equally bad opponent.

It's very comparable. The score, the play calling, the execution, the speed, the strength and the motivation looked just like that game. It's even worse that Washington was suppose to be even worse than us, but we got completely destroyed by them.

We aren't playing preseason games anymore.

In the preseason the O-line looked like a solid pass blocking unit and the defensive front 7 looked unstoppable. The preseason isn't necessarily a very accurate measuring stick.

Quote:Not even close. OSU was #8 and playing at home. Kent State is a MAC school. There is no way you can compare that to one of the NFL's worst teams blowing ou an equally bad opponent.

It's pretty funny how this is the post you choose to reply to, compared to the many posts after this one, even the ones after the post you originally made in this thread. 

Honestly, what makes you post? You clearly don't post based off of legit football knowledge, so where do you get your opinions from? 

Like I know you are a Jags fan and you love football, but still, you don't post based off of very good understanding of the game/team/surroundings. 

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 03:34 AM by JagProphet.)

I think JW is a troll or just plain stupid. One of the two. Nothing she posts makes sense.

Quote:I think JW is a troll or just plain stupid. One of the two. Nothing she posts makes sense.

I read this and just could not stop laughing... I don't know why... hahha.

Quote:I think JW is a troll or just plain stupid. One of the two. Nothing she posts makes sense.
HA!

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 07:51 AM by JaguarJosh05.)

I wonder if the team is just tanking on purpose knowing we can't win with Henne. When Bortles played with the ones during preseason the porous and horrendous line play suddenly looked respectable. The Henne effect may just be the same as the Gabbert effect. You can't expect to always have a force field around you.

No pain, no gain.

Bortles appears to have better improvisational skills compared to Henne.  But..man...I don't know if I want him subjected to that oline play.

Huh

I support the whole team always. I can see why they are starting henne, If our o-line is relly that bad you don't want to put our qb of the furture out there so he gets hurt, and then we have no qb for furture again. We already know henne  isn't our furture.  The way our players are getting hurt right now,i am sure bortles would get injuryed if our o-line is as bad as it looks. As usal it looks like we lead the nfl in injurys. All of them to key players as well.

snowwolf titans owner in madden.

note titans owner means im undeafted againest them. 

Quote:I and many others have argued that this team would play better with more competent QB play i.e. Blake Bortles as the starter.  Certain players have an effect on how the team plays.  They just do.  When a team feels like a QB gives them a shot to win the game, you don't think that will have an impact on a team's confidence level?  If a team lacks confidence and/or faith in their starting QB, do you think their play is impacted?  I do.  This game might be about $$$$ to many but winning matters.  Competition matters.  These guys want to compete, that's all a lot of them have known since a young age with football.

My thoughts go back to Blake and UCF.  Take a look at what happened to UCF with Blake at QB just last season.  12-1 with their only loss being by 3 to a highly ranked and considerably more talented USC team.  They beat Teddy and Louisville, Bryce Petty and #13 Baylor, etc.  Blake brought that team from unranked to a top 10 team.  Where are they this year without Bortles at QB?  0-2 coming off a 38-10 loss to unranked Mizzou.

Bortles redshirt freshman year they go 5-7, the next year 10-4, then 12-1.  It's early this year but I expect their win total to be considerably less than last year.  

Why do you think their play has dropped?  Because they lost Storm Johnson? I'm sure some will be thinking I'm jumping the gun and I may be.  It's something I've thought about and I can't sleep yet.  I'm curious what other people think about this. 

Certain guys have a confidence about them, a moxy (sp) if you will that teams feed off of.  Blake is a gamer and guys respond to things like that.  You can sense it from afar, I can only imagine how it is when you're on the field with him.  His attitude reminds me so much of guys like Brady/Big Ben.  It's a type of guy we haven't had at the QB position since pre-injury Brunell.  

Am I crazy?  Likely. 

*EDITED* Took out the last sentence or two, not needed here.
Not necessarily agreeing/disagreeing with you, but I have a question.

Assuming your argument is completely accurate for the moment and Bortles' moxie can inspire confidence and better play, how would that tangibly manifest itself?

How many offensive ranking spots/fewer sacks/more wins does this translate to in your opinion? 

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Not necessarily agreeing/disagreeing with you, but I have a question.

Assuming your argument is completely accurate for the moment and Bortles' moxie can inspire confidence and better play, how would that tangibly manifest itself?

How many offensive ranking spots/fewer sacks/more wins does this translate to in your opinion? 

Based on Bortles strengths the odds are good, in my opinion, that at a minimum he takes half the sacks Henne did yesterday.   

How much does he effect the offensive ranking?  No clue.  How many more wins?  No clue.  But he gives us the best chance to win, he's at least got the ability to make a defense respect the pass.  Did you see how that defense was lining up yesterday?  They were practically begging for the Jaguars to beat them with the pass and it couldn't happen.

Is all of that on Henne? No it isn't but he's the QB so the largest part falls on him.  We're seeing all of the things he's struggled with throughout his career be put on blast right now.  

What Blake playing does gain him is experience.  As I've said over and over he has the traits and abilities to avoid a rush, not take some of those sacks Henne does and avoid the pressure.  Big Ben did it/has done it and Blake is similar from a physical ability standpoint.  I'm not comparing them as passers but in their ability to make up for makeshift OL play.  We drafted a guy, probably the best guy, that can help an OL with pass blocking issues with his strengths.  Play him and let's see what he's got.  He's shown the ability to handle himself and we continue to treat him like a child.

How is the rest of the young offense, particularly the WRs, supposed to develop with Chad Henne at QB?!  This is the one thing that has never made a lick of sense to me with the staff sitting Bortles.  I've heard it mentioned that they want the "environment" around Blake to grow and be ready for him.  How in the world is a WR going to develop to a respectable level with a guy that can't play the QB position at an even average level on a regular basis?  If we had a respectable veteran playing I would be much more inclined to agree with sitting Bortles.  However we don't have a Brett Favre, Bledsoe etc. We have Chad Henne.  Chad freaking Henne.  I blame Dave for that if the plan has been to sit Blake since he was drafted, which it seemingly has been. If Dave wants these young WRs to have a chance to grow this year it's going to be hindered by a guy that can't get them the ball.  

I'm firmly behind starting Blake.  He needs to develop that relationship with his guys and it doesn't/shouldn't wait until next year.  The sooner the better and we're wasting time.  

(This post was last modified: 09-15-2014, 02:24 PM by MedKnight.)

Yep, pretty much hit the nail on the head. 

Although I will clarify that UCF's loss this weekend was to a solid, ranked Mizzou team at #20, now #18. Gotta defend the alma mater somehow right?  Big Grin. The Bortles effect was seen in all of our come from behind wins last year. We would have blown out Penn State this year and probably would have given Mizzou a game, if not win this past Saturday if Bortles had stayed. He just has that IT factor.

Quote:Bortles leads UCF to Fiesta Bowl glory and Henne leads Michigan to the victim of the biggest upset in NCAA history

What was the biggest upset in NCAA history?

I always thought Chad Henne was good at Michigan except when he played against the Buckeyes, who beat him all four years.

Quote:Yep, pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Although I will clarify that UCF's loss this weekend was to a solid, ranked Mizzou team at #20, now #18. Gotta defend the alma mater somehow right? Big Grin. The Bortles effect was seen in all of our come from behind wins last year. We would have blown out Penn State this year and probably would have given Mizzou a game, if not win this past Saturday if Bortles had stayed. He just has that IT factor.

I didn't realize Mizzou was ranked this year, thanks for the correction on that.

I agree with everything you've said here.