Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Goodell gets fired?

Quote:The call for Rodgers head seems like it is gaining some steam in the media.

Hypothetically speaking, what happens to the London effort and some of the other ridiculous things he has in progress if Goodell gets the boot?

Some other advance-the-bottom-line-at-the-expense-of-the-game toadie for the owners will step in and push equally obnoxious goals. Be careful what you wish for. 

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Some other advance-the-bottom-line-at-the-expense-of-the-game toadie for the owners will step in and push equally obnoxious goals. Be careful what you wish for. 
Agreed.  The path the league is on won't deviate even if Goodell isn't at the helm. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The NFL is trying to get ahead of the politically correct crowd that now has a video showing them exactly what happened.  If you don't think the mere threat of pressure from feminist organizations isn't enough for the league to hit the panic button and completely change the punishment, you don't know this NFL.  They're more concerned about not offending anyone than they are about consistency.  Feminist organizations have already started demanding Goodell step down and a "special prosecutor" be tasked with investigating what the league knew, when they knew it, and how much was covered up in order to get past this.  They're not letting it go. 

its a lose/lose for the nfl and goodell in my opinion. i hope he resigns or is let go.

Coughlin when asked if winning will be a focus: "What the hell else is there? This is nice and dandy, but winning is what all this is about."

Quote:its a lose/lose for the nfl and goodell in my opinion. i hope he resigns or is let go.

They won't fire him.. He'll be given the option to resign to save face.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

What has Goodell done to make the game better again?

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 06:24 PM by rellell.)

He ABSOLUTELY deserves to be fired.  If you aren't making decisions based ont he facts, but on the public perception of the facts, you are the lowest form of human being.  He  should in NO WAY be associated with the NFL, any team, or frankly the human race.  I wouldn't be sad if he died in a fire tonight, and that's the honest fact.

What Ray Rice did was despicable, but the fact of the matter is our justice system is the one who should be doling out the punishment.  The fact that they had access to the video, punished him the way they did (which I think is total [BAD WORD REMOVED] anyway, and only promulgates society letting NFL players AND EXECUTIVES (because let's not forget the slap on the wrist that Irsay got) get away with things that others wouldn't because "the nfl will punish them") then go back to repunish him ONLY after the evidence (which the court had) became public is a slap in the face of the judicial system.

Changing that punishment based on the RELEASE OF THE VIDEO as opposed to the actual crime is absolutely insane.  If all of a sudden video comes out of Mike Vick electrocuting dogs will we punish him more?  I don't think so.  The fact of the matter is that the players that commit crimes will pay the price in endorsements and subsequent contracts because they will be seen as a risk.  Goodell has no right to step in and exert more punishment, especially to the magnitude he did AFTER already announcing the punishment previously.  If this isn't double jeopardy, I don't know what is.  And it's not being doled out by our supposedly elected government officials, it's just some [BAD WORD REMOVED] who thinks he knows best, and will change his mind at the hint of any public perception change.

Fire Goodell, burn him alive.

Quote:The NFL is trying to get ahead of the politically correct crowd that now has a video showing them exactly what happened.  If you don't think the mere threat of pressure from feminist organizations isn't enough for the league to hit the panic button and completely change the punishment, you don't know this NFL.  They're more concerned about not offending anyone than they are about consistency.  Feminist organizations have already started demanding Goodell step down and a "special prosecutor" be tasked with investigating what the league knew, when they knew it, and how much was covered up in order to get past this.  They're not letting it go. 

Whatever you believe about political correctness and whatnot, Goodell went on national television and lied to everyone about the NFL not seeing the tape.  Whether you believe having the tape or not matters is beside the point now.  That's really embarrassing for the league.

Quote:Whatever you believe about political correctness and whatnot, Goodell went on national television and lied to everyone about the NFL not seeing the tape. Whether you believe having the tape or not matters is beside the point now. That's really embarrassing for the league.

If they can prove it then there is no way Goodell isn't fired.

The way that it's looking to me right now, Goodell should either step down or be fired.  Reports are coming out that the NFL had access to the tape prior to any suspension being handed down.  It appears that only after the tape went public that Goodell changed the penalty.

Is it "double jeopardy"?  Yes it is in a court of law, but the NFL is not the law of the land.  However, it seems pretty clear that the NFL is in "damage mode" right now.  It's all about PR and money.  Had he initially come out with an immediate, indefinite suspension, then this would all be a moot point.

What gets me is that people (the media, women's rights groups, etc.) are focusing more on what an employer (the NFL) did/didn't do, rather than focusing on what Law Enforcement did/didn't do.  The video shows clearly that this was a crime, yet no criminal charges were ever filed, at least to my knowledge.

The bottom line is, this isn't really about the NFL or Goodell, it's more about our justice system and how cases are handled.  If I, an "average joe" did something like that, I would have been put in handcuffs and carted away to jail.  I fault Law Enforcement and the justice system more so than I fault the NFL.

That being said, it appears that the NFL attempted to just kind of "sweep this under the rug".

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:He ABSOLUTELY deserves to be fired.  If you aren't making decisions based ont he facts, but on the public perception of the facts, you are the lowest form of human being.  He  should in NO WAY be associated with the NFL, any team, or frankly the human race.  I wouldn't be sad if he died in a fire tonight, and that's the honest fact.

What Ray Rice did was despicable, but the fact of the matter is our justice system is the one who should be doling out the punishment.  The fact that they had access to the video, punished him the way they did (which I think is total [BAD WORD REMOVED] anyway, and only promulgates society letting NFL players AND EXECUTIVES (because let's not forget the slap on the wrist that Irsay got) get away with things that others wouldn't because "the nfl will punish them") then go back to repunish him ONLY after the evidence (which the court had) became public is a slap in the face of the judicial system.

Changing that punishment based on the RELEASE OF THE VIDEO as opposed to the actual crime is absolutely insane.  If all of a sudden video comes out of Mike Vick electrocuting dogs will we punish him more?  I don't think so.  The fact of the matter is that the players that commit crimes will pay the price in endorsements and subsequent contracts because they will be seen as a risk.  Goodell has no right to step in and exert more punishment, especially to the magnitude he did AFTER already announcing the punishment previously.  If this isn't double jeopardy, I don't know what is.  And it's not being doled out by our supposedly elected government officials, it's just some [BAD WORD REMOVED] who thinks he knows best, and will change his mind at the hint of any public perception change.

Fire Goodell, burn him alive.

Way to go - you've managed to come across as a bigger creep than Ray Rice. And that ain't easy.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Whatever you believe about political correctness and whatnot, Goodell went on national television and lied to everyone about the NFL not seeing the tape.  Whether you believe having the tape or not matters is beside the point now.  That's really embarrassing for the league.

What happened to not jumping ahead of the facts. Wasn't that what everyone said about the shooting in St. Louis County?

But now you say "Goodell lied to everyone". You know this, how? Who received the dvd? You don't know. Did Goodell see the video or even know about it? You don't know.

I know - let's hang him now and then have a trial.

Why are so many ready to jump at their favorite agenda item? You know this will eventually come out, one way or the other. What's your rush?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

It's not looking good. Now they have acknowledgement of receipt of the tape on a voicemail from a female NFL exec, who says "yes, it's horrible."

They saw it. Roger lied.

Quote:It's not looking good. Now they have acknowledgement of receipt of the tape on a voicemail from a female NFL exec, who says "yes, it's horrible."

They saw it. Roger lied.

Can't say that for sure, but it doesn't look good.

Quote:What has Goodell done to make the game better again?

The concussion protocol Jonathan Cyprien is going thorugh. Is Roger not the guy responsible for that policy change? We all know that is a good thing while worrying about one of our own players.

Owners make the game better or worse, not the comissioner. I don't think any fan knows how many changes Goodell had a hand in making.

Quote:If they can prove it then there is no way Goodell isn't fired.

Is there something in his contract that says if he lies on national TV about a player's off-field behavior, he gets punted? That is the only way I can imagine the owners firing him.

Quote:It's not looking good. Now they have acknowledgement of receipt of the tape on a voicemail from a female NFL exec, who says "yes, it's horrible."

They saw it. Roger lied.

How do you know Goodell saw it? "The NFL" could mean Ray Anderson, the guy responsible for fining players and coaches. Or it could be that woman. Saying "the NFL" does not mean Goodell saw it.

(This post was last modified: 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM by Jagsfan4life9/28/82.)

Quote:The video shows clearly that this was a crime, yet no criminal charges were ever filed, at least to my knowledge.

The bottom line is, this isn't really about the NFL or Goodell, it's more about our justice system and how cases are handled.  If I, an "average joe" did something like that, I would have been put in handcuffs and carted away to jail.  I fault Law Enforcement and the justice system more so than I fault the NFL.

Just for the sake of clarity, there was a criminal charge filed.  It was aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, which Rice pleaded not guilty to.  He was apparently eligible for a pre-trial intervention program, which put the charge on hold, pending completion of the program.  Apparently, upon successful completion of the program, the charges are then dropped.  And these intervention programs are available to "average Joes".

That said, I think programs like this are crap, for this very reason.

Quote:Is there something in his contract that says if he lies on national TV about a player's off-field behavior, he gets punted? That is the only way I can imagine the owners firing him.
He's publicly embarrassed the NFL and continues to look worse by the day. I think he deserves to lose his job over how clumsily this has been handled and how bad the league looks because of it, start to finish. If credible reports come out saying that Roger Goodell or someone close to him saw that video before issuing the initial two-game suspension (which everyone and their mother knew was a joke), then I'd be surprised to see him keep his job. NFL owners are billionaire businessmen, and billionaire businessmen don't like being made fools of.

Quote:How do you know Goodell saw it? "The NFL" could mean Ray Anderson, the guy responsible for fining players and coaches. Or it could be that woman. Saying "the NFL" does not mean Goodell saw it.

The NFL office had it in April; Roger Goodell has no excuse.

"Ignorance is not an excuse." - Roger Goodell (regarding the Saints pay-to-injure debacle)

They had it. He had to have seen it.

Forget Feminist. The entire cover up is disgusting and Ray Rice should have been suspended indefinitely, arrested, and sent to jail.