Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Goodell gets fired?

Maybe the league would grow a sack again.

[Image: mvp.avia8a99974486b2b89.md.png]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Hardy's just as bad as Rice.How's he still playing?
Your beliefs become your thoughts,
Your thoughts become your words,
Your words become your actions,
Your actions become your habits,
Your habits become your values,
Your values become your destiny.

Quote:The NFL office had it in April; Roger Goodell has no excuse.

"Ignorance is not an excuse." - Roger Goodell (regarding the Saints pay-to-injure debacle)

They had it. He had to have seen it.

My whole point is the fact that the NFL office got the video does not automatically mean Roger Goodell watched it. Of course it would be very wrong if he actually did not, but in that case saying he only watched it recently is telling the truth.

It is also worth noting Goodell apologized in a letter, admitting he used bad judgment when he initially suspended Ray Rice for only two games.

Firing Goodell for not being tough enough on Ray Rice to begin with? He's the only commish so far that has penalized players for off-field crimes. Tagliaboob would have never even brought up the possibility.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:Firing Goodell for not being tough enough on Ray Rice to begin with? He's the only commish so far that has penalized players for off-field crimes. Tagliaboob would have never even brought up the possibility.

That is not the issue. People are calling for Roger's head because they think he lied to everybody. I think that idea is too extreme because the crime is not related to football. It just happened to be the offender is a football player.

There are alot of layers to this entire situation, so it's very hard to make a point without touching on others.  But I'm gonna give it a try and focus only on Goodell and his office.

Here are the facts as we know them:

1.  Goodell says he did not see the video that came from inside the elevator

2.  A source within law enforcement says he sent the NFL (Goodell's office) the video from within the elevator.

Definition of "Office":  The commissioners primary area of oversight.  

At this time, we cannot say that Goodell saw the video.  We have to take his word on this.  Whether we believe him or not, at this point the fact remains that he said he didn't see it.  

But his statement is counter to the 2nd fact as sourced.  Now the second fact has not been confirmed, but I am assuming that it will be.  Usually a source with audio confirming that someone at the NFL acknowledged reception is pretty substantial material evidence that it occurred.

So even assuming that Goodell didn't see the video, he had access to it.  

If he didn't know he had access to it, he's highly incompetent to the primary duties of his office and should be fired.  

If he did know he had access to it, he's highly incompetent to the primary duties of his office and should be fired.

Will he be fired?  It's all about money.  If sponsors start dropping off, then he's gone.  If this blows over, he may stay.  But his intangible buy in with players and the public is tarnished, possibly irrevocably.

Quote:There are alot of layers to this entire situation, so it's very hard to make a point without touching on others.  But I'm gonna give it a try and focus only on Goodell and his office.

Here are the facts as we know them:

1.  Goodell says he did not see the video that came from inside the elevator

2.  A source within law enforcement says he sent the NFL (Goodell's office) the video from within the elevator.

Definition of "Office":  The commissioners primary area of oversight.  

At this time, we cannot say that Goodell saw the video.  We have to take his word on this.  Whether we believe him or not, at this point the fact remains that he said he didn't see it.  

But his statement is counter to the 2nd fact as sourced.  Now the second fact has not been confirmed, but I am assuming that it will be.  Usually a source with audio confirming that someone at the NFL acknowledged reception is pretty substantial material evidence that it occurred.

So even assuming that Goodell didn't see the video, he had access to it.  

If he didn't know he had access to it, he's highly incompetent to the primary duties of his office and should be fired.  

If he did know he had access to it, he's highly incompetent to the primary duties of his office and should be fired.

Will he be fired?  It's all about money.  If sponsors start dropping off, then he's gone.  If this blows over, he may stay.  But his intangible buy in with players and the public is tarnished, possibly irrevocably.

I agree with this and why I believe his days are severely numbered. He's already gotten the leader of NOW (National Organisation of Woman) calling for his head on a silver platter, and frankly, that may be enough. The NFL has been doing almost everything in it's power to attract the female gender to the NFL and make it more appealing. Everything from their huge contributions to the Breast Cancer Awareness Month to introducing their new line of Women's Jerseys and Apparel. And with Goodell still in office with the leaders of NOW breathing down his neck, that could be very bad for the league.. I think he's as good as gone, and rightfully so.. 

[Image: SaKG4.gif]

Quote:I agree with this and why I believe his days are severely numbered. He's already gotten the leader of NOW (National Organisation of Woman) calling for his head on a silver platter, and frankly, that may be enough. The NFL has been doing almost everything in it's power to attract the female gender to the NFL and make it more appealing. Everything from their huge contributions to the Breast Cancer Awareness Month to introducing their new line of Women's Jerseys and Apparel. And with Goodell still in office with the leaders of NOW breathing down his neck, that could be very bad for the league.. I think he's as good as gone, and rightfully so.. 

I generally agree with your points - except the part regarding NOW. Their stance was predictable (and not unreasonable, from their point of view), but they carry very little weight among the general population and don't represent enough people to be a real influence upon the NFL.

I'm waiting to see how the powerful owners (Mara, Rooney, Kraft, Jones) react. So far they support Gpodell. If they start expressing real concerns Roger's days may be numbered.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014, 10:53 AM by JaG4LyFe.)

They have Robert drop the ball Mueller conducting the independent investigation... WOW!

Goodel is toast.

The grass is necessarily always greener.

Condoleezza Rice... Sick
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Hardy's just as bad as Rice.How's he still playing?

The same question came to mind on this end yesterday.   The following article helps explain the technical reason why Greg Hardy hasn't been suspended as of the present:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...pline-yet/

To those saying Goddell should be fired.  Let's be real.  He's a fall guy.  The NFL firing Goddell is like the NFL firing themselves and hoping nobody noticed.  It would be purely an image saving move.  And what if this independent FBI investigation places the blame on the owners?  Who gets fired then?   

Quote:To those saying Goddell should be fired.  Let's be real.  He's a fall guy.  The NFL firing Goddell is like the NFL firing themselves and hoping nobody noticed.  It would be purely an image saving move.  And what if this independent FBI investigation places the blame on the owners?  Who gets fired then?

That's a reasonable assertion. Considering the owners are somewhat savy decision makers, I find it hard to believe they allow Goddell his job going forward.

"Ignorance is not a suitable defense"  

I hope those words come back and bite you Mr. Goodell. 

(This post was last modified: 09-11-2014, 01:10 PM by The Eleventh Doctor.)

One (unnamed owner) on Goodell and video report:

Quote: 

"But I have to say that if this report is true, this is very bad for our league, and for Roger. No owner will support him if this is true. Not one."

Sounds like they'll use him as a fall guy.  

Assuming the report is true

Either:

A. They didn't know about the tape reaching the NFL, in which case calling for his head is entirely justified.  Attempting to cover it up and hope it goes away would be an incredibly bad judgment call.  

OR

B. They did know about the tape reaching the NFL, in which case he's just a fall guy and they're hoping it goes away, and that the independent review will uncover nothing.

Either way I think he's done if it turns out that they did receive the video.  Even if Goodell himself somehow didn't know about it.  To paraphrase Goodell himself "Ignorance is not an excuse".  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

This is why PFT still sucks.  Goodell was at The Masters the day the tape supposedly came into the NFL office.

So during the offseason Goodell took some time off to do something he enjoys and he wants to be blamed for that?  People want a scapegoat here, and they wont rest until he quits because the media has painted him as a jerk throughout his tenure.  Lets not forget NFL profits are at its highest ever, for the most part he's been a stickler for player punishment, and he brought the best deal ever for the owners in the last CBA.

"Golf is fun. Azaleas are pretty. Pimento cheese sandwiches taste good.

But at the very moment when the organization Goodell runs so powerfully should have been aware of something so horrible, he was surrounded by people just like him.

Rich. Powerful. And insulated from practically anyone who might look or think differently.

Augusta’s track record of exclusion is well-documented and long-standing and only really pertinent as it applies to the bigger picture of the NFL’s blind spot to the reality of domestic violence.

The NFL knew Ray Rice dragged his unconscious wife out of an elevator. But without seeing it, the reality that he had to have done something to render her unconscious never occurred to them to be so jarring, so horrific, so repugnant that it merited more than a two-game suspension."

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...of-course/

This is laughable.  Why would Goodell resign?  What would be the backlash if he didnt?  People will complain all they want but do they care enough to boycott the NFL and quit watching?  Of course not.  

Quote:This is laughable.  Why would Goodell resign?  What would be the backlash if he didnt?  People will complain all they want but do they care enough to boycott the NFL and quit watching?  Of course not.  

I don't think anyone is expecting him to resign.  The owners are watching this.  If it turns out he wasn't completely open about the situation, they're already lining up to send him packing.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The more important question here is does Billy Payne suspend Rodgers membership at Augusta National.

Goddell being fired would be like the government putting someone in jail for obeying the law.   Whatever Goodell did or didn't do, who benefits from it?  We're supposed to believe he went out on this rogue mission to hide evidence and protect Ray Rice against the league's wishes?  Why, again?  

The NFL was perfectly fine with domestic abuse punishments similar to the 2 game ban given by Goddell for years.  What has changed exactly?  They can't just all of a sudden say it's Goddell's fault.