Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
What if Goodell gets fired?

Quote:I don't think anyone is expecting him to resign. The owners are watching this. If it turns out he wasn't completely open about the situation, they're already lining up to send him packing.

The owners had their hands in the pot too:

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-goodell-went-light-initial-rice-punishment-out-respect-rice%E2%80%99s-wife'>http://m.nbcsports.com/content/report-goodell-went-light-initial-rice-punishment-out-respect-rice%E2%80%99s-wife</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Goddell being fired would be like the government putting someone in jail for obeying the law. Whatever Goodell did or didn't do, who benefits from it? We're supposed to believe he went out on this rogue mission to hide evidence and protect Ray Rice against the league's wishes? Why, again?

The NFL was perfectly fine with domestic abuse punishments similar to the 2 game ban given by Goddell for years. What has changed exactly? They can't just all of a sudden say it's Goddell's fault.

Exactly. See link above.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

It's difficult to understand 'why' Goodell would go to the trouble of covering for Rice. It doesn't make any sense. On the other hand, it's hard to believe with all of the recent information that he didn't know about the tape. On the OTHER other hand (3 hands, keep up), why does it even matter if he saw the tape?! Knowing he knocked out his wife needed to be actually 'SEEN' to realize it was disgusting? Also, what feminist groups are there that are putting pressure on the NFL? :mellow:

I think Ray Rice should have lost his job when he was seen dragging her lifeless body from the elevator, IMO.

Quote:It's difficult to understand 'why' Goodell would go to the trouble of covering for Rice. It doesn't make any sense. On the other hand, it's hard to believe with all of the recent information that he didn't know about the tape. On the OTHER other hand (3 hands, keep up), why does it even matter if he saw the tape?! Knowing he knocked out his wife needed to be actually 'SEEN' to realize it was disgusting? Also, what feminist groups are there that are putting pressure on the NFL? :mellow:

I think Ray Rice should have lost his job when he was seen dragging her lifeless body from the elevator, IMO.

Here's there problem I have with this.  And I'm not talking about you specifically.  But I hear a lot of people questioning why did the league needed to see the video before handing out the punishment.  But THOSE SAME PEOPLE'S REACTION TO THE INCIDENT CHANGED UPON SEEING THE VIDEO.   It's blatantly clear that the outrage now upon seeing the new video is exponentially greater than the outrage when it was first reported.  Whether people like to admit it or not, seeing the video made a huge difference.  The public has generally accepted NFL's policies on domestic violence for years (mainly because there is a legal system that addresses these things).  So with that said, the actual act wasn't a real issue for the NFL.  If the new video never came out, the outrage would have never escalated to this point, there wouldn't have been an investigation,  Ray Rice would play, nobody would be calling for Goddell's head (any more than usual), and the NFL would have continued business as usual.  It's not about domestic violence.  It's about the video.  Those are the facts.   

Quote:Here's there problem I have with this.  And I'm not talking about you specifically.  But I hear a lot of people questioning why did the league needed to see the video before handing out the punishment.  But THOSE SAME PEOPLE'S REACTION TO THE INCIDENT CHANGED UPON SEEING THE VIDEO.   It's blatantly clear that the outrage now upon seeing the new video is exponentially greater than the outrage when it was first reported.  Whether people like to admit it or not, seeing the video made a huge difference.  The public has generally accepted NFL's policies on domestic violence for years (mainly because there is a legal system that addresses these things).  So with that said, the actual act wasn't a real issue for the NFL.  If the new video never came out, the outrage would have never escalated to this point, there wouldn't have been an investigation,  Ray Rice would play, nobody would be calling for Goddell's head (any more than usual), and the NFL would have continued business as usual.  It's not about domestic violence.  It's about the video.  Those are the facts.   

Actually people were pretty outraged about the 2 week suspension before the second video was ever released.  People weren't calling for Goodell's head -- but he mitigated the damage he did with a new policy on Domestic Violence.  

Then when the video was released, it was worse than most people first suspected.  Goodell of course said that the NFL never obtained the second video.  When information came out that they apparently DID obtain the second video, people started calling for Goodell's head.  

If the NFL indeed did obtain the video -- even if Goodell never watched it, I think he's gone.  Because either he knew they got it -- and he lied.  Or he didn't know they got it -- which brings up the question of his ability to control his office.  "Ignorance is not a suitable defense"  Especially given the reaction to the Ray Rice incident from the public.  There's no reason he shouldn't have known -- at least not unless (and I'm stealing this from twitter) his secretary asked a former player to deliver the video to Goodell, but forgot about it because of concussion issues.

If it comes out on the other hand that the NFL never received the video -- then he'll keep his job.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I don't think anyone is expecting him to resign.  The owners are watching this.  If it turns out he wasn't completely open about the situation, they're already lining up to send him packing.

Again whats the point?  The reason to force him out is because of backlash?  But what backlash would there be?  None.  No one will stop watching football because of this.

Quote:Again whats the point?  The reason to force him out is because of backlash?  But what backlash would there be?  None.  No one will stop watching football because of this.

Since the beginning of Goodell's reign as commissioner, every action as been due to public perception.  EVERY single move has been a reaction to the percieved PR hit that would come from the public if the office of the Commissioner did not act.

So, yeah, that's the point.

Quote:It's difficult to understand 'why' Goodell would go to the trouble of covering for Rice. It doesn't make any sense. On the other hand, it's hard to believe with all of the recent information that he didn't know about the tape. On the OTHER other hand (3 hands, keep up), why does it even matter if he saw the tape?! Knowing he knocked out his wife needed to be actually 'SEEN' to realize it was disgusting? Also, what feminist groups are there that are putting pressure on the NFL? :mellow:

This is pretty much a start.

This whole issue has blown up way more than it should have.

There are 10 kinds of people in this world.  Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11500445/terry-oneill-president-national-organization-women-calls-nfl-commissioner-roger-goodell-resign'>This is pretty much a start</a>.

I didn't realize this. Perhaps as a woman I should know what that is, but yeah ok. I think this isn't a feminist issue though, more a humanity issue.

Quote:Here's there problem I have with this. And I'm not talking about you specifically. But I hear a lot of people questioning why did the league needed to see the video before handing out the punishment. But THOSE SAME PEOPLE'S REACTION TO THE INCIDENT CHANGED UPON SEEING THE VIDEO. It's blatantly clear that the outrage now upon seeing the new video is exponentially greater than the outrage when it was first reported. Whether people like to admit it or not, seeing the video made a huge difference. The public has generally accepted NFL's policies on domestic violence for years (mainly because there is a legal system that addresses these things). So with that said, the actual act wasn't a real issue for the NFL. If the new video never came out, the outrage would have never escalated to this point, there wouldn't have been an investigation, Ray Rice would play, nobody would be calling for Goddell's head (any more than usual), and the NFL would have continued business as usual. It's not about domestic violence. It's about the video. Those are the facts.

Certainly seeing him deck her was more impactful than what we imagined, but I almost found the first video, the aftermath, as disturbing. I love football and I hate the sport I love is tarnished by something like this. I hope they just get it figured out and we can go back to worrying about who's starting at QB. No one knows for sure who saw what, but we tend to need proof of that to justify the punishment. I guess I was just thinking it seemed to be enough as it stood. But what do I know.

all just smoke. nothing personal against domestic violence victims.

the attention will focus on the games this weekend, and something exciting will happen like RG3 will pass for 400 yards and rush for 200, then the media will have something else to talk about

Quote:Actually people were pretty outraged about the 2 week suspension before the second video was ever released.  People weren't calling for Goodell's head -- but he mitigated the damage he did with a new policy on Domestic Violence.  

Then when the video was released, it was worse than most people first suspected.  Goodell of course said that the NFL never obtained the second video.  When information came out that they apparently DID obtain the second video, people started calling for Goodell's head.  

If the NFL indeed did obtain the video -- even if Goodell never watched it, I think he's gone.  Because either he knew they got it -- and he lied.  Or he didn't know they got it -- which brings up the question of his ability to control his office.  "Ignorance is not a suitable defense"  Especially given the reaction to the Ray Rice incident from the public.  There's no reason he shouldn't have known -- at least not unless (and I'm stealing this from twitter) his secretary asked a former player to deliver the video to Goodell, but forgot about it because of concussion issues.

If it comes out on the other hand that the NFL never received the video -- then he'll keep his job.  

To me it's kind of hypocritical to both criticize him for changing the punishment upon seeing the video, and then for possibly seeing the video and giving a lenient punishment.  It doesn't make sense.  You can argue that possibly he didn't make enough of an effort to obtain the video, but why should that matter if the video itself shouldn't matter?   For me, firing Goodell is a pointless farce.  If he lied, he lied to protect the exact people who would be firing him.  The same people who would be firing him would already know the facts, so what information are they waiting to come out?   Goodell and the NFL are in on this together, joined at the hip.  It's their mess.   They will have to fix it together, because people aren't going to buy that it was all on one person.

Quote:This is pretty much a start.

LOL, if you honestly believe that it's been over-blown, then that's a you problem.

This is a big deal because Goodell, and the NFL under his watch, have been hyper reactive in regards to picking and choosing punishments.  This is an issue about domestic violence on one level.

But's it's also an issue about how Goodell has been running the NFL on the other level--Which is the topic of THIS thread.  If you want to talk about the domestic violence part of it, there is another thread for that.

This one is regarding the potential firing of Goodell.  And that potential termination has nothing to do with NOW or the actual incident.  It has to do with how Goodell runs the league, has run the league, his lack of foresight, and the arbitrary way he's doled out punishments since he's been Commissioner.  

Quote:This is laughable. Why would Goodell resign? What would be the backlash if he didnt? People will complain all they want but do they care enough to boycott the NFL and quit watching? Of course not.

If there is evidence he lied then the voices will get too loud and become too much of a distraction black eye. They won't have a choice but to fire him.

Quote:all just smoke. nothing personal against domestic violence victims.

the attention will focus on the games this weekend, and something exciting will happen like RG3 will pass for 400 yards and rush for 200, then the media will have something else to talk about

This isn't going away.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/1...d-hit-wife.

We are hearing more things come out and more stuff will continue to come out. I have no idea what he knew, didn't know or didn't want to know, but what I do know is the mob won't stop. This story is bigger then the NFL.

Personally I'd like to see Goodell gone in general. Not a fan of his at all. Is there enough here for him to resign/get fired? Probably not, at least not yet but it is escalating.
IT WAS ALWAYS THE JAGS

Quote:This isn't going away.

Time heals all wounds.  It's going to go away.

Every team will play this weekend, and thats just another step in moving on.  I'm guessing the investigation wont bring much out.

Quote:If there is evidence he lied then the voices will get too loud and become too much of a distraction black eye. They won't have a choice but to fire him.

Even if there is a blackeye that only matters if people stop watching the NFL.  I dont believe the American public will stop watching over this.  And by the fact that a ton of Raven fans are wearing Ray Rice jerseys, which is pretty sad in its own right, I just dont think Goodell issue will move the needle.

Quote:Even if there is a blackeye that only matters if people stop watching the NFL.  I dont believe the American public will stop watching over this.  And by the fact that a ton of Raven fans are wearing Ray Rice jerseys, which is pretty sad in its own right, I just dont think Goodell issue will move the needle.

I think you're forgetting that the owners often ask for tax payers to pay for things.  Meaning that it's not just if people stop watching the NFL.  

I was wrong about Trent Baalke.