Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Bortles Played with Wrist Tendonitis and Two Shoulder Separations

Detroit game (Wk 11) where he presumably seperated it for a 2nd time considering he got taken out for Henne after taking a shot to the shoulder before half, he finished with 202 yards.

The games up until the final two he finished with these yard marks:

126, 181, 257, and 92.

So yeah, I'd definitely say they had an impact. Not that I take yardage marks as an indicator, but that isn't normal for Bortles and we all know it. Plus, his play was clearly probably the worst in that stretch of games besides SD, OAK, and TEN midseason.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

The final two he was impacted more than the others, so he says.

Let's not pretend he didn't say the wrist impacted him more, and that was later in the season.

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Said it more than once, but this is on Blake. He chose to play through it it regardless of his crap performances. He has to own his own crap in spite of injury. Can't say that he helped his team by doing this. 

Quote:Said it more than once, but this is on Blake. He chose to play through it it regardless of his crap performances. He has to own his own crap in spite of injury. Can't say that he helped his team by doing this. 

Got rid of Bradley, helped the team a bajillion percent.

“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

Quote:Said it more than once, but this is on Blake. He chose to play through it it regardless of his crap performances. He has to own his own crap in spite of injury. Can't say that he helped his team by doing this.

To play Devil's Advocate, what do you think the fallout would have been had his disclosed these issues earlier and they shut him down?

No, this isn't a trick question. I'm legitimately curious as to what folks think?
<i>Behold man's final mad disgrace.</i>

<i>He chops his nose to spite his face.</i>

-Etrigan the Demon

Again it was a low grade sprain.  Using "dislocated" language only adds drama.

He admitted the wrist tendinitis affected his play more than the shoulder did.

Nobody was hiding anything.  They were minor and he played through them, just as most players do.  No one is "healthy" at season's end.

Again... fresh start with new regime next year.  Hoping for the best, and perhaps competition (which is even better.)  What happens when he really does get hurt enough to miss time?  We've got no backup plan other than Henne.  Allen is "developing" but if he were on pace to truly push for the job he'd have already passed Henne and made him expendable. 

"You do your own thing in your own time. You should be proud."

Quote:You are talking like MJF.

Speaking of which, did she get a warning or whatever? Haven't seen her lately.

Quote:It's this coming May meaning they have to make the decision based on his body of work so far. There is an argument for picking it up, albeit it's a much weaker argument than the one to not pick it up. I just can't imagine a good GM not putting the carrot of a new mega contract in front of Bortles this coming season rather than deferring it a year. If he plays really well, franchise him and begin negotiating the contract. If he's mediocre, franchise him and make him prove it the following year. If he's terrible, let him hit the market.

Reading this, the 5th year option almost sounds better. We just discussed that the option is worth something like $18 mil. Well, the franchise tag for qbs in 2018 should exceed $23 mil.

'02

Quote:Reading this, the 5th year option almost sounds better. We just discussed that the option is worth something like $18 mil. Well, the franchise tag for qbs in 2018 should exceed $23 mil.
Yes, but by picking up his 5th year if he sucks next year your on the hook for that 18M. If he does solid/good, than we can franchise him and work out a deal. I'd much rather be on the hook for 23M with a solid/good QB than 18M with a guy that obviously needs to be replaced/let go of.

Count me in for not picking up the option and hoping Bortles has a solid year next year.

Quote:The final two he was impacted more than the others, so he says.

Let's not pretend he didn't say the wrist impacted him more, and that was later in the season.

He said the wrist tendinitis was more of an irritation than an injury, and that's something a guy can play through. Shoulder separations, on the other hand, have a far more crippling impact. Around late October and throughout November, it was obvious that he was struggling to throw because of the arm. Let's not pretend that we're blind and didn't clearly see as much. 

'02

Quote:Allen is "developing" but if he were on pace to truly push for the job he'd have already passed Henne and made him expendable. 

No... Allen never had a chance to prove as much. Henne was handed the backup role from the start. That was the plan, and they were sticking to it.

'02

Quote:Speaking of which, did she get a warning or whatever? Haven't seen her lately.

You could say that. Expect her back in about three weeks.

'02

Quote:You could say that. Expect her back in about three weeks.

*fist pumps*
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:Reading this, the 5th year option almost sounds better. We just discussed that the option is worth something like $18 mil. Well, the franchise tag for qbs in 2018 should exceed $23 mil.

Even though the guarantee is only for injury it's still a guarantee in that instance (what if he has a Lattimore type injury early in 2017?) and is a riskier move from a team's perspective than deferring the decision and using the franchise tag instead regardless of the $4+ million difference between the two. If he's worth it they'll happily pay him market value. Also, our favorable cap situation enables us the luxury of deferring the decision as the money spent won't likely mean losing another player. It boils down to if you think being able to delay the decision from this May to the Spring of 2018 is worth $4+ million. Considering what we saw out of him this year, I think it is. Also, the carrot of him possibly being able to earn and sign a mega deal before the 2018 season should be motivating for him.

I could see Caldwell picking up the option if he feels that Khan's confidence in him as GM won't last long enough for him to draft another QB. He might just assume that his fate is tied to Bortles anyway so might as well lock him up another year as cheaply as possible. I hope Khan isn't giving him that feeling though since he's apparently not firing him this year. Khan will obviously need to extend Caldwell to show that.

Had nothing to do with him playing like garbage for most of September and October. He needs to work on his mechanics all offseason. Furthermore, until he stops making mind numbing decisions with the ball nothing will get better.

"A man with no sauce is lost.

<p style="text-align:center;">But that same man can get lost in the sauce."

Quote:To play Devil's Advocate, what do you think the fallout would have been had his disclosed these issues earlier and they shut him down?

No, this isn't a trick question. I'm legitimately curious as to what folks think?

Clearly the fallout was on his accuracy. Blake has been careless with the football even when healthy. I can imagine the paranoia of a young QB who feels his small body of work is vulnerable to being upstaged by a backup veteran, and choosing to play through it at the risk of throwing ducks, picks and overthrows. 

Obviously, the fallout to sit and heal a quarterback for 2 weeks (assuming that would have helped) was simply too much for this staff to gamble. And at the end of the day its just another sign of Gus' inability to make ballsy decisions. 

But maybe this injury reveal was Blake really owning his choice to play injured...

Quote:Again it was a low grade sprain. Using "dislocated" language only adds drama.

He admitted the wrist tendinitis affected his play more than the shoulder did.

Nobody was hiding anything. They were minor and he played through them, just as most players do. No one is "healthy" at season's end.

Again... fresh start with new regime next year. Hoping for the best, and perhaps competition (which is even better.) What happens when he really does get hurt enough to miss time? We've got no backup plan other than Henne. Allen is "developing" but if he were on pace to truly push for the job he'd have already passed Henne and made him expendable.

In a shoulder, a sprain is a shoulder separation. Blake had a sprained/separated ac joint. The same as Jordan Reed. A shoulder dislocation is a completely different injury where the humerus dislocates from the glenohumeral joint. Typically a worse injury than an ac shoulder separation.

Moving forward, what does this all mean?

We've seen since his rookie year that he has the mobility and that innate ability to sense pressure. I know he's had some blind-side fumbles, but still for the most part he can has a good feel for the pocket. He's done well even with shoddy protection, and has the abilty to throw a good pass even while being contacted.

Last year we saw that Blake can master the deep passing game when his arm is fully healed and he's in his game/zone. When he's at his best, Blake is full of confidence and can take total control of a game. This year was a different story. Last year we saw a guy who would throw a pick six, but then would come out on the following drive with a vengeance to make up often with one TD drive after another. This year he'd throw the same pick six, but instead he'd let it affect his confidence and would chalk the game up to another loss. That great deep passing game we saw last year began to flounder away with the injuries.

I feel like Blake can re-gain his confidence and get back on his game provided his arm is kept fresh and healthy, but that's easier said than done. For starters, his throwing must be paced. We simply can't have Blake leading the league in attempts like he did last year. It will probably require limiting his reps throughout the week along with a renewed focus on the running game.

Don't forget, Blake also hit a wall with his arm in late November during this rookie season. There were December games when he practically couldn't throw the ball.

'02

Quote:I expect an apology from MJF for constantly doubting my opinion that something was definitely wrong with Bortles' arm.
Me too jags02 I was the first to mention it was a freddie t situation all over again. 

Bleeding Teal since 1995. The Icon Teal Time Radio aka ctjags

#Gojags

His mechanics have looked so much better the last two games -- and *gasp* he actually threw some nice spirals. This would make sense, and I suspect his already fragile mechanics suffered for it.

"Hope springs eternal in the human breast." - Alexander Pope