Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Impressions from the Lions Game-pt 1

Quote:I was one who was against the Beadles signing at the time of it - and against signing any OL from Manning's OL because they simply appear better than they actually are because they aren't really asked to do much with the quickness that he gets rid of the ball with. 

Its better to look for linemen that grade out well with QB that are the opposite and have a tendency to hold onto the ball a lot. Thats where you can tell who's really doing the good job. 
Yep...I gotta give you credit for that.

That was your exact argument.

That said...it's possible the interior OL comes around-including Beadles.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Is Bortles really as good as we think he is, or have we been deprived of a football worthy quarterback for so long we are overhyping him?
Both

Quote:You noticed that too, huh?

Bortles plays as if you give him an inch, and he'll try to take a mile.
This.

Imagine how good he would look if he was the starter entire offseason and getting all snaps with first team. It just feels like he devours everything you throw at him and gets better for it. He definitely has the "it" factor we've all been looking for.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

The things that stood out to me is that other than Bortles playing another impressive game, I was a little disappointed by the first string defense.  The big run play by Reggie Bush was just a bust by Cyprien who read the wrong way and got caught behind one of the DTs, but even outside of that Detroit seemed to be chewing up chunks of yardage.  By the second quarter the defense settled down a little bit and was playing better.

I thought that Gerhart looked pretty good.  I know his stats weren't great, but he's gonna be a workhorse. Some people have been saying he's slow but only compared to some of the quicker scat backs in the league, because when he gets moving, he get's *moving*.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

The couple of times when I thought he was about to get sacked, he evaded the rush, his eyes never left looking downfield

I really don't want it to happen this way, but if our line doesn't start improving Bortles could be playing half-way through the 1st quarter in Philly after Chad is helped off the field.

Nice write up Bulls and I agree. Your contributions to the boards are appreciated. I rarely have to search for Jags articles worth a damn with you supplying all the good links. Thank you.

As for what you saw from Bortles, I see the same thing. He has that indescribable 'it' presence (he was born ready--it's innate). The first team offense played better with him at QB. What continues to impress me is his pocket play and his play recognition. He is not playing like a rookie.

No one is safe.

I've reserved judgement as I hate to get too excited about an unproven rookie QB.  However, I would have to agree there is a confidence and ease that Bortles plays with that suggests this kid is special.  I'm not worried about him starting right away.  I look at it from the angle what is best for Blakes development and not whats best for the team right now.  If he continues to develop regardless of starting then that will ultimately be better for the team. 

Quote:Nice write up Bulls and I agree. Your contributions to the boards are appreciated. I rarely have to search for Jags articles worth a damn with you supplying all the good links. Thank you.

As for what you saw from Bortles, I see the same thing. He has that indescribable 'it' presence (he was born ready--it's innate). The first team offense played better with him at QB. What continues to impress me is his pocket play and his play recognition. He is not playing like a rookie.

Absolutely.   Quarterbacking in the NFL requires a unique skill set, which is hard to measure in a college player; you just never know.   It's not just reading defenses, it's processing information on the fly, often with all sorts of chaos going on around you.  Keeping your eyes downfield when 300 pound defensive linemen and linebackers who run a 4.5 40 are coming at you from close range.  Defensive players are at your feet, grabbing at you.   Players are criss-crossing downfield, linebackers are dropping into your field of vision.  All the while, a full scale battle is occurring within a few feet of you, very large, aggressive people right next to you are trying to hurt you. 

In the midst of all this, Blake's mind is both calm and quick, and he sees things about to happen before they happen.  

It's just really really weird seeing one of OUR quarterbacks doing this.  I keep thinking it must be a mirage, that he'll revert to lost little rookie at some point, but he KEEPS ON DOING IT. 

And the thing is, if this is all he ever is, it's FANTASTIC.  

Quote: 

It's just really really weird seeing one of OUR quarterback doing this.  I keep thinking it must be a mirage, that he'll revert to lost little rookie at some point, but he KEEPS ON DOING IT. 

Admittedly, I have had a similar mindframe. Hopefully the more we keep seeing it, the more it will sink in that this is really happening. 

I like that with all the optimism going on no one has prematurely gotten worried about the possible injuries to Marks, Poz, Scobee, etc. 

Quote:Is Bortles really as good as we think he is, or have we been deprived of a football worthy quarterback for so long we are overhyping him?

It's real. He's thrown for around 450 yards and a TD with about 65% completion in less than a full game's worth of work so far in the preseason.

It's not just something that happens by coincidence.

Quote:It's real. He's thrown for around 450 yards and a TD with about 65% completion in less than a full game's worth of work so far in the preseason.

It's not just something that happens by coincidence.

I agree....

but I guess 15 years of subpar QB play will make anyone gunshy to believe that we've finally got the antithesis of all that. 

(This post was last modified: 08-23-2014, 11:06 AM by Oklahomie.)

Quote:I agree....

but I guess 15 years of subpar QB play will make anyone gunshy to believe that we've finally got the antithesis of all that. 

There are guys that play NFL QB like Henne and Gabbert and Schaub who will never be better than what's around them, because they're always more concerned with something else, whether it's trying to not look bad, or not get hurt, or not make mistakes.

Then you have guys like Luck, Manning, Brady, Rodgers, Roethlisberger, and now Bortles, who are more interested in trying to beat the other team as badly as they can and seeing just what they can get away with. They'd rather do whatever it takes to get the more difficult 25 yard throw than to settle for the checkdown.

We've got that guy, now, and additionally he's not a little guy, either. He's got the prototypical size, he's got the right attitude about the game, and he's apparently got the intelligence to play the position.

I look forward to being to the colts in the AFCS what the Patriots were to the colts in the AFCE.