Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It could be the same QB decision made in 2007

Its preseason the games meaning nothing if not to evluate, educate, and progess your players especially the rookies why then wouldnt you start Bortles against the Lions and let him play the first half with the starters if you are so confident that Henne has that role in week 1?

http://prod.images.jaguars.clubs.nflcdn....height=720

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:But if he's "ready".... not playing him is not going to make him any better IMO.  If he's ready to play, he should play - simple as that, whether that's in week 3 or 13.  The only condition I would use is say that the receivers and O-line should be playing solid football as well before he starts.
I think we are saying the same thing. I'm in no way shape or form saying to hold Blake out for the sake of holding him out. At the same time if he's not ready then why would he play? If he is ready by week six and we are 4-2 then do we take Henne out of the line up just because? What about week 12 and we are 5-6? This is why Im saying this. We are trying to generate too many scenarios and with our own desires coming up with reasons to move on from Henne.

I agree that he at some point will reach his max sitting on the bench and will need to play. But at the same time what if the O-Line is playing poorly as well? Then do we start him? What if Henne is playing good but we all can see that we are losing cause the line is playing horrible, what do we do then?   

I just advocate let the plan take its course. I feel it will all work out in the end. The biggest thing I feel this regime did right is create a plan. They have a philosophy and figured out a direction to go in. That is what I see. This franchise is no longer lost and is in good hands. 

Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10906660'>http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10906660</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24556084/jaguars-gm-no-3-pick-blake-bortles-wont-be-jax-starting-qb-in-2014'>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24556084/jaguars-gm-no-3-pick-blake-bortles-wont-be-jax-starting-qb-in-2014</a>

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10903344/2014-nfl-draft-blake-bortles-drafted-jacksonville-jaguars-no-3-overall-pick'>http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10903344/2014-nfl-draft-blake-bortles-drafted-jacksonville-jaguars-no-3-overall-pick</a>

Incorrect. Caldwell stated soon as we drafted Blake he wanted him to sit all year and Henne would be the starter. Couldn't find the like but caldwell said prior to the drafted whoever was drafted would sit. He has stated that Blake would not play until 2015. That is the reason we are having this conversation in the first place and the national media is making a big deal of how the team is handling his development process.

I'm not one to think there is no possibility Blake to play this season or even start this season. I just believe Caldwell feels the owner has given him time and he want to build a farm. Meaning give his qb proper grooming, go through more a few more developmental seasons and acquire more players. This is straight from the horses mouth. And although Blake has been better than anyone has expected I still don't believe he will throw the plan out the window. Now he may adjust it but I just don't see Blake starting the season. Maybe once we are eliminated from the playoffs then he will start is my guess.

And all of those links support exactly what I was saying.

"The plan is..."

"This is the plan..."

"Going into the season the plan is..."

If they deem he is ready, he'll play. Game 1. It makes zero sense to do otherwise.

And this OL excuse is ridiculous. What if it takes two more years to get the right OL? Does he sit until 2017? Isn't it possible the right QB will make the line look better?

Things will be much clearer after the Lions game.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Yeah, I think we're in full agreement.

I actually think our fanbase has matured quite a bit through the losing seasons.  Nobody will get upset if Henne is starting on week 1, and everyone seems to understand that grooming a QB is a fine and delicate process.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS" size=3><B><FONT face=Verdana color=#ff6600 size=4></FONT></B></FONT>

Quote:And all of those links support exactly what I was saying.

"The plan is..."

"This is the plan..."

"Going into the season the plan is..."

If they deem he is ready, he'll play. Game 1. It makes zero sense to do otherwise.

And this OL excuse is ridiculous. What if it takes two more years to get the right OL? Does he sit until 2017? Isn't it possible the right QB will make the line look better?

Things will be much clearer after the Lions game.
When the GM say what his plan is, that sound pretty much like what is going to happen at least for some portion of the season it will anyway. 

Again, like I said to the other poster; I feel we are saying the same thing. In our conversation the o-line never came up. I was actually using it as a non excuse in the other post. Caldwell has clear stated what the plan is. And like I said I would be fine with him starting game one. I personally just don't see that happening though. If it does then i'd love to watch the Bortles show at EverBank. 

I'm just enjoying the ride. Now or later doesn't really matter to me. When it happens it will. 

The position of GM & HC is at times a political one, not just to the media & fans in regards to inquires but also to his staff & players as well as the opponets.  Its not like they just wake up and get asked whos your starting QB and they say lets go with Chad Henne this week.  In regards to their own depth chart and games they are preparing for they have thought of these scenarios and made what they felt was the best decision for all involved, and in regular games sometimes a ruse statement.  What bothers the media and fans is sometimes they know its a bs statement, because why would you draft a QB #3 overall, especially when you have a borderline starter with Henne and leave Bortles on the bench all year?  For what purpose to learn behind a guy whom wouldnt be a starter most likely on any other team in the NFL (except the Texans)?  

I assume Bortles will be the starting QB by week 3, if not sooner  especially if he continues to improve in preseason.

Quote:When the GM say what his plan is, that sound pretty much like what is going to happen at least for some portion of the season it will anyway.
I absolutely don't see it that way.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Our offensive line is what it is.  It's not good.  If we sit Bortles for that reason, then he will sit the entire year.

Quote:I absolutely don't see it that way.
Then we will have to agree to disagree. To me Bradwell has created option. They allowed themselves to start Henne from day one and be choice decide when Bortles will start. To me it would be reckless not to at least play Henne for a few games before you start Bortles to see if Henne can play well and possible parlay that into a future pick. Or possibly allow Bortles to get to a point you want him at or start him from day one. My point it there are options and it would be foolish for the GM to put his self in a position to be unable to explore them all. 

Like Mathis said it is a political game and there are various possibilities here. 

You maybe missing what my true opinion is because you are only highlighting portions of it. I don't think he will sit all year but I don't think he will start day one either. 

I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Bortles to be the opening day starter.  Is it a possibility?  Sure.  But, I think the odds are long at best.  The coach will really have to see something this week that would significantly alter his plans.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I'm sticking to what I've been saying since the moment Blake was drafted: he will start by week 8. I would be surprised if it were as early as week 1 though.

He's already got a theme song. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I think people really need to slow down on wanting Bortles to start immediately. There is a reason why, Gus has been consistent on naming Henne the starter.

Bortles hasn't put in much work, especially playing against vanilla defenses and second stringers. 

Even with him working with the first team against Detroit next week, naming someone a starter goes alot farther than just simply evaulating how they look on tape and in the game. Their preparation, study, leadership, and patience plays just as much a factor. 

Preseaon game speed is alot different that regular season game speed, with starters playing the preseason not to get hurt.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

Quote:I wouldn't hold my breath expecting Bortles to be the opening day starter.  Is it a possibility?  Sure.  But, I think the odds are long at best.  The coach will really have to see something this week that would significantly alter his plans.
It really depends on a lot of factors.  I agree that odds are that Henne starts the year.  If Bortles is showing all of this in practice as well and he plays just as well against our first string D and Detroit's, it's probably a good indication that he'll start sooner rather than later.  How soon though is the question.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 10:57 AM by ARJagFan.)

Let's face it we are not going to win a Super Bowl THIS year.  Why put Bortles out there and risk injury and let him take more hits than needed?  Other great QBs have sat and learned despite possibly being ready to take over.  Henne may not give us the best chance to win, but even if we do win several games, I don't see us winning 10+ games this year unless the stars align perfectly.  This team is realistically 1-2 offseasons away from making a serious playoff run.  Much of that depends upon the development of players outside the QB position.

Before Bortles or Henne either one can become a consistent 300yd+ passer, we need to have WRs who are consistent in catching the ball.  From what I've seen/read, we still have issues holding onto the ball.  We could have Brady/Manning/Montana back there at QB and if the WRs drop the ball then it's not going to matter.

I say sit Bortles and protect your investment and future until:

1) You have an OL that has proven that it can work as a unit, protect the QB, and stay healthy

2) A WR corps that can consistently Catch the ball

See Wilson, Russell circa 2012 pre-season.

Anything is possible and Gus was a first hand witness of Wilson's rise within a few months.
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 10:59 AM by David4499.)

Bortles will start when he know the offense. He's still learning the playbook. There's not enough time in one off season to soak up a new playbook. Maybe by week 5 he will get the go ahead and knock off the Steelers for his first win.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:When the GM say what his plan is, that sound pretty much like what is going to happen at least for some portion of the season it will anyway. 

If and only if you have a GM who isn't willing or able to change the plan when the facts change. Which would, you know, be a bad thing.

And it wouldn't be the first time people have misinterpreted Caldwell openly stating his mind. Remember how everyone thought his comments on Manziel being the most NFL-ready QB in the draft meant he wanted to pick him?

Od school is if the rookie is better or the same as the other QB then you play the rookie.

Also this is a cut throat business, you play to win the game.....you play.....to win....the game.

That means starting the best 22 players on offense and defense.

Quote:Od school is if the rookie is better or the same as the other QB then you play the rookie.

Also this is a cut throat business, you play to win the game.....you play.....to win....the game.

That means starting the best 22 players on offense and defense.

That's true if your QB competition is between the sitting starter and the rookie.  That's not the case here.  Peter King nailed it with his comments saying that how Henne looks is irrelevant.  That holds true to whether Bortles is better or not.  It really is about assuring he's ready to assume the role.  People need to grasp the difference here because what will determine when Bortles starts is Bortles himself.  When he has a grasp of the entire playbook, and he's able to demonstrate that his issues with mechanics are completely behind him, they'll pull the trigger.  Not a moment sooner.