Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It could be the same QB decision made in 2007

Quote:It really depends on a lot of factors.  I agree that odds are that Henne starts the year.  If Bortles is showing all of this in practice as well and he plays just as well against our first string D and Detroit's, it's probably a good indication that he'll start sooner rather than later.  How soon though is the question.
The thing is all reports indicate Bortles isn't showing all of this in practice.  He's inconsistent during practices, which isn't unusual, but you'd like to think that your starting guy is a model of consistency any time the football is in his hand, no matter if it's a practice or a game. 

I've said from the beginning that I suspect he'll be starting once this team gets past the bye week. I still think that's the case.  It comes down to how he can demonstrate that he's ready once the season begins.  Most of his reps once the season starts will be mental reps, reps he takes with the scout team, or after practice with the receivers.  He's not getting more than a  handful of actual snaps once the season starts and practices are used to install the game plans. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:If and only if you have a GM who isn't willing or able to change the plan when the facts change. Which would, you know, be a bad thing.

And it wouldn't be the first time people have misinterpreted Caldwell openly stating his mind. Remember how everyone thought his comments on Manziel being the most NFL-ready QB in the draft meant he wanted to pick him?
Like I said "at least for some portion of the season." I don't really think Bortles is going to sit the whole 2014 season although that is what Caldwell said; because I can use the insight I believe you are alluding to. I also do not believe Bortles will be the opening day starter. 

Quote:That's true if your QB competition is between the sitting starter and the rookie.  That's not the case here.  Peter King nailed it with his comments saying that how Henne looks is irrelevant.  That holds true to whether Bortles is better or not.  It really is about assuring he's ready to assume the role.  People need to grasp the difference here because what will determine when Bortles starts is Bortles himself.  When he has a grasp of the entire playbook, and he's able to demonstrate that his issues with mechanics are completely behind him, they'll pull the trigger.  Not a moment sooner. 
Being the best qb doesn't necessarily mean being ready in this case and I think some people are missing that point. Bortles' raw ability and feel for the game made him better than Henne since the day we drafted him. That still doesn't mean he is as polished and ready to play as they want him to be. Whenever Bortles shows he is ready is when he will play. I just couldn't fathom that being on 9/7/2014 

Quote:Being the best qb doesn't necessarily mean being ready in this case and I think some people are missing that point. Bortles' raw ability and feel for the game made him better than Henne since the day we drafted him. That still doesn't mean he is as polished and ready to play as they want him to be. Whenever Bortles shows he is ready is when he will play. I just couldn't fathom that being on 9/7/2014 

Exactly.  The nuance is missed by some here. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:The thing is all reports indicate Bortles isn't showing all of this in practice.  He's inconsistent during practices, which isn't unusual, but you'd like to think that your starting guy is a model of consistency any time the football is in his hand, no matter if it's a practice or a game. 

I've said from the beginning that I suspect he'll be starting once this team gets past the bye week. I still think that's the case.  It comes down to how he can demonstrate that he's ready once the season begins.  Most of his reps once the season starts will be mental reps, reps he takes with the scout team, or after practice with the receivers.  He's not getting more than a  handful of actual snaps once the season starts and practices are used to install the game plans. 
I'm curious how he looks this week running with the 1s.  The bye week is a good prediction.  Maybe sooner as I really do see a lot of progress from how he looked at UCF to now.

How many threads do we need on this topic? LOL. 

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 12:28 PM by badger.)

Nothing about Blake's performance so far would indicate he isn't ready.  With that said, we have two more weeks of preseason.  Anything can happen.

Quote:Exactly. The nuance is missed by some here.

Yes. I'm obviously missing that nuance since I'm so new to this game.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

Quote:How many threads do we need on this topic? LOL. 
Lol good point

We also need to realize that Bortles's performance is against vanilla defenses.  Teams aren't going to show all their complex coverages and schemes in preseason and give their opponents film that can be used against them.

Quote:Nothing about Blake's performance so far would indicate he isn't ready.  With that said, we have two more weeks of preseason.  Anything can happen.

Not true, at all. Gus and Jedd talked about Blake missing a playcall during the Bucs game. Mic'd up, Blake also admitted to not knowing who the mike backer was on the defense. This is fine in the pre-season when teams are playing vanilla defenses. But if he's still not getting who the mike is on vanilla defense, what will happen when the other defense throws the kitchen sink at him?

These are the things that Gus and Jedd are likely looking at. Its clear that from a physical standpoint of being a starting QB, he has it over Chad. But not knowing what plays are being run and against what defense scheme, we can only assume that Blake was making the right reads/throws.

Gus and Jedd would know though.

Quote:We also need to realize that Bortles's performance is against vanilla defenses.  Teams aren't going to show all their complex coverages and schemes in preseason and give their opponents film that can be used against them.

I think everybody understands that.

Quote:Not true, at all. Gus and Jedd talked about Blake missing a playcall during the Bucs game. Mic'd up, Blake also admitted to not knowing who the mike backer was on the defense. This is fine in the pre-season when teams are playing vanilla defenses. But if he's still not getting who the mike is on vanilla defense, what will happen when the other defense throws the kitchen sink at him?

These are the things that Gus and Jedd are likely looking at. Its clear that from a physical standpoint of being a starting QB, he has it over Chad. But not knowing what plays are being run and against what defense scheme, we can only assume that Blake was making the right reads/throws.

So you're telling me the greatest QBs never call the wrong play or misread a defense?

Quote:Not true, at all. Gus and Jedd talked about Blake missing a playcall during the Bucs game. Mic'd up, Blake also admitted to not knowing who the mike backer was on the defense. This is fine in the pre-season when teams are playing vanilla defenses. But if he's still not getting who the mike is on vanilla defense, what will happen when the other defense throws the kitchen sink at him?

What will happen?  We don't know.  Mental errors that didn't affect his performance much are insignificant.  Gus comments in press conferences are just him being modest.  They don't want to over hype his performance and create more pressure to start him.  They just want to make the switch, one time, permanently.  They don't want a situation where they might have to pull Blake mid-game due to performance.

How could any coaching staff preach competition and then NOT play the "better" QB.

I think we'll see some waves after the Detroit game.

I think there is a good possibility of Blake being the opening day starter.

Like 43.5%. Which is pretty good. He puts together a few scoring drives with ones against ones... I don't see how you don't play the kid. I mean it isn't like the Oline is perfect, so if he performs well behind what it is now... he will likely get better as they get better.

I haven't been this excited about the beginning of a season since 08...that excitement faded rather quickly.

Even if Henne starts, from what I have seen this team will be better. If it translates to W's, I don't know... But I can see this team being pretty good with either of our QBs. I saw Henne look pretty solid in his outing. He could fare just as well in Detroit and hold the kid off just enough for the staff to stick to their guns.

If the team starts 0-4, however, they won't be waiting for the bye week... a move will be made before then unless the team is at least competitive, imo.

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 01:02 PM by badger.)

Quote:So you're telling me the greatest QBs never call the wrong play or misread a defense?

This is less about actual performance and more about people having to admit they were wrong this offseason.  Everybody was so certain that he would red shirt.  Welp, maybe not.

It's amazing how people are so obsessed with being "right" all the time that they resist what might actually be better for the team.

Quote:This is less about actual performance and more about people having to admit they were wrong this offseason. Everybody was so certain that he would red shirt. Welp, maybe not.

It's amazing how people are so obsessed with being "right" all the time that they resist what might actually be better for the team.
I think you're interpreting me incorrectly.

I think Bortles needs five all pros on the OL, have impeccable mechanics, can recite the playbook backwards, and can dance the macarena without missing a step, before he can be pronounced 'ready'.

Quote:What will happen?  We don't know.  Mental errors that didn't affect his performance much are insignificant.  Gus comments in press conferences are just him being modest.  They don't want to over hype his performance and create more pressure to start him.  They just want to make the switch, one time, permanently.  They don't want a situation where they might have to pull Blake mid-game due to performance.
This is another aspect of it. By starting Henne, you can sit Bortles for how ever long but once you make that decision to start Bortles that is it. You can not reverse that decision and I think they would want to wait until they are fully confident in him before they make the change. 

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 01:15 PM by badger.)

Quote:This is another aspect of it. By starting Henne, you can sit Bortles for how ever long but once you make that decision to start Bortles that is it. You can not reverse that decision and I think they would want to wait until they are fully confident in him before they make the change. 

People just need to understand that not everything coaches say at a press conferences is exactly what they think.  There is a reason why they have closed door meetings.  They are probably getting more confident each week if you look at his performance face value.  In public, they are playing the, "You know he needs more work calling out a mike LB" card.  Come on.

Quote:People just need to understand that not everything coaches say at a press conferences is exactly what they think.  There is a reason why they have closed door meetings.  They are probably getting more confident each week if you look at his performance face value.  In public, they are playing the, "You know he needs more work calling out a mike LB" card.  Come on.

That is probably true. I just don't think he's gonna start week one lol. That's all I'm saying