Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
It could be the same QB decision made in 2007

Quote:That is probably true. I just don't think he's gonna start week one lol. That's all I'm saying 

Wow you are being way too sensible and open-minded for this board.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Wow you are being way too sensible and open-minded for this board.

Sorry. Can we trade Bortles since he played great in the preseason? Sure we could fetch a fourth rounder for him

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 01:43 PM by JagFanatic24.)

Quote:That's true if your QB competition is between the sitting starter and the rookie.  That's not the case here.  Peter King nailed it with his comments saying that how Henne looks is irrelevant.  That holds true to whether Bortles is better or not.  It really is about assuring he's ready to assume the role.  People need to grasp the difference here because what will determine when Bortles starts is Bortles himself.  When he has a grasp of the entire playbook, and he's able to demonstrate that his issues with mechanics are completely behind him, they'll pull the trigger.  Not a moment sooner. 

I agree.

The key factor is we don't know if he knows the playbook or not.  Only the coaches and players do. 

If hairs are being split....what if he only knows 99% of the playbook?  (no need to answer this, I'm basically throwing it out there, what if he doesn't know all of the playbook, but enough to go out and win games??

I guess I am just going to sit back and enjoy how this all unfolds.  What a nice feeling for us fans to have!  We have been though enough over the years, and it sure feels nice to have this problem.

I also feel if Geno Smith, Mark Sanchez, Joe Flacco, Sam Bradford, and all other day 1 starting rookies to learn the books, then I have faith in Bortles to learn it.  Seems like the hard part is behind him which is show what he can do on the field. 

Learn the BOOKS BORTLES!  You have done everything else just fine

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 03:14 PM by knarnn.)

From Jedd Fisch:

Quote:"This fan base saw a quarterback get thrown to the wolves," Fisch told Peter King of MMQB, in reference to Blaine Gabbert. "We don't need to force it. We never thought when we drafted (Bortles) we were taking him to play now. But nothing is set in stone. We're giving Blake every chance to make the decision super-hard for us."
He definitely leaves the door open.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/18/6031853/jedd-fisch-blake-bortles-qb-starter-jaguars'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/18/6031853/jedd-fisch-blake-bortles-qb-starter-jaguars</a>
"Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way, if he gets angry, he's a mile away and barefoot."

Quote:From Jedd Fisch:

He definitely leaves the door open.

<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/18/6031853/jedd-fisch-blake-bortles-qb-starter-jaguars'>http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/18/6031853/jedd-fisch-blake-bortles-qb-starter-jaguars</a>

Somehow Blaine Gabbert always gets into this conversation.  It's as if Blaine Gabbert is more relevant to when Blake starts than Chad Henne.  Ya, that makes sense.

Quote:Somehow Blaine Gabbert always gets into this conversation. It's as if Blaine Gabbert is more relevant to when Blake starts than Chad Henne. Ya, that makes sense.
I really don't think Chad Henne is even relevant to when Bortles start. I only think Bortles is.
[Image: IMG-1452.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-18-2014, 03:35 PM by badger.)

Quote:I really don't think Chad Henne is even relevant to when Bortles start. I only think Bortles is.

I think he is to an extent.  If Henne has another good performance Friday and leads the team to a 3-0 start to the regular season, I doubt you see Bortles start if "he's ready".  Therefore, Henne is relevant.  IMO the only thing completely irrelevant is the guy we had previously who has proven time and time again that he just simply stinks.

http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/18/6...er-jaguars

Quote: 

This fan base saw a quarterback get thrown to the wolves," Fisch told Peter King of MMQB, in reference to Blaine Gabbert. "We don't need to force it. We never thought when we drafted (Bortles) we were taking him to play now. But nothing is set in stone. We're giving Blake every chance to make the decision super-hard for us."

If he comes out Friday and puts on another impressive performance against the one's I'd bet he's starting by week 3 at the latest.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:I really don't think Chad Henne is even relevant to when Bortles start. I only think Bortles is.
Unless Henne goes hard and wins SB MVP you're probably right Tongue

Quote:If he comes out Friday and puts on another impressive performance against the one's I'd bet he's starting by week 3 at the latest.
I think if Henne comes out and looks pittiful, and then Blake lights it up he might be starting even earlier than that. 

Henne will start until Bortles is ready.  It'd be great to see him go out there and succeed immediately.  But I'm okay with waiting if that's what it takes.  I'd like to see Bortles throw a TD against the Lions.  I'd also like to see us find a center somewhere, but doubt that will happen.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Henne will make an valiant attemp to hold of the Bortles Momentum but the only way that Henne maintains the starting job longterm is an catastrophic meltdown...

Not Happening...

BB5 will be the starter sooner than later...

NH3...
"AZANE"

Quote:I think if Henne comes out and looks pittiful, and then Blake lights it up he might be starting even earlier than that.

Hennes looked fine all preseason it's more about when bortles is ready
[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:If he comes out Friday and puts on another impressive performance against the one's I'd bet he's starting by week 3 at the latest.

Bortles got only 3 snaps with the first team offense today.... hmm.  alright.

Quote:Bortles got only 3 snaps with the first team offense today.... hmm.  alright.
I heard he'll get 7-8 tomorrow. 

3 snaps 11 on 11s and 5 snaps 7 on 7s

Quote:I heard he'll get 7-8 tomorrow. 

Tweets I read say it wont change throughout the week

Quote:3 snaps 11 on 11s and 5 snaps 7 on 7s

Ok, correction, 8 total snaps.  That seems like very little.

Quote:http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/8/18/6...er-jaguars
Sounds like a little pressure was added to Blake's game Friday.