Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Limbaugh: Robin Williams killed self because he was a liberal

Quote:So are we refusing to accept the fact Limbaugh didn't say that?

Now I'm not sure what he said or what he meant.  The original article was from Marketwatch, not exactly a left-leaning publication.  Now, reading the transcript, it's not clear what he meant when he said what he said.   He was either saying something really stupid about Robin Williams, or he was saying something really stupid about what he thinks is the "liberal world view."  Take your choice. 

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Now I'm not sure what he said or what he meant.  The original article was from Marketwatch, not exactly a left-leaning publication.  Now, reading the transcript, it's not clear what he meant when he said what he said.   He was either saying something really stupid about Robin Williams, or he was saying something really stupid about what he thinks is the "liberal world view."  Take your choice. 
Either way you are helping a hate filled blow hard to stay relevant. 

Quote:So are we refusing to accept the fact Limbaugh didn't say that?
Some certainly will.  If you look at the comment in its entirety, and then look at the way several outlets have presented a very parsed version of the comments, it's pretty clear what the intent was here.  Right or wrong, his point wasn't about Williams specifically, but about the coverage surrounding his suicide.  I would have listened today to see if he addressed this, but he gives me a headache.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

I think it's worse how people are going after Shepard Smith for saying what he did.  

Quote: 

<b>‘And yet, something inside you is so horrible or you’re such a coward or whatever the reason that you decide that you have to end it. Robin Williams, at 63, did that today.’</b>

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I think it's worse how people are going after Shepard Smith for saying what he did.  

Could you explain to me how calling suicidally depressed people coward isn't something worthy of rebuke?

Quote:Could you explain to me how calling suicidally depressed people coward isn't something worthy of rebuke?

Except he's not calling suicidally depressed people coward.  Maybe if you learn to read, you'll see the word 'or' in there.

Quote:Except he's not calling suicidally depressed people coward.  Maybe if you learn to read, you'll see the word 'or' in there.

I can read just fine, he called suicidally depressed people cowards. He didn't make the percentages clear as to which segment he thinks just needs to "man up" as insensitive sorts would say, but he still used the term.

If he doesn't think of suicidally depressed people as ever being cowards then he shouldn't have used the word.

So, could you go ahead and explain how calling suicidally depressed people coward wasn't worthy of rebuke?

Quote:I can read just fine, he called suicidally depressed people cowards. He didn't make the percentages clear as to which segment he thinks just needs to "man up" as insensitive sorts would say, but he still used the term.

If he doesn't think of suicidally depressed people as ever being cowards then he shouldn't have used the word.

So, could you go ahead and explain how calling suicidally depressed people coward wasn't worthy of rebuke?

Did you not see where he said "There's something horrible inside them OR they're cowards."  That implies (by any logical reasoning) that people who are suicidally depressed aren't cowards. He didn't say "AND they're cowards".  He was reasoning why people would commit the horrible act.  Unless you think suicide is something really nice to do.

Quote:Some certainly will.  If you look at the comment in its entirety, and then look at the way several outlets have presented a very parsed version of the comments, it's pretty clear what the intent was here.  Right or wrong, his point wasn't about Williams specifically, but about the coverage surrounding his suicide.  I would have listened today to see if he addressed this, but he gives me a headache.

The only thing that I've read regarding his statements is the transcript of said statements, and I'm just not getting the same read that you and Eric are. Maybe I'm misreading it, it's entirely possible. Also, he cites Fox News in his complaints about the coverage (of which there is some), which is most definitely not a leftist outlet. That doesn't exactly help the idea that his comments about a leftist worldview were limited to the coverage.

Quote:Some certainly will.  If you look at the comment in its entirety, and then look at the way several outlets have presented a very parsed version of the comments, it's pretty clear what the intent was here.  Right or wrong, his point wasn't about Williams specifically, but about the coverage surrounding his suicide.  I would have listened today to see if he addressed this, but he gives me a headache.

I agree. I normally refrain from commenting on Limbaugh because I cannot force myself to listen to what he actually says, instead of relying on media versions.

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

Quote:Did you not see where he said "There's something horrible inside them OR they're cowards."  That implies (by any logical reasoning) that people who are suicidally depressed aren't cowards. He didn't say "AND they're cowards".  He was reasoning why people would commit the horrible act.  Unless you think suicide is something really nice to do.

So you're assuming that when he means depressed people he's relegating them entirely to the "something horrible inside" portion?

Let's go with the interpretation that requires the least amount of assumptions, as Occam's Razor would have it, and interpret what he said as directly talking about the subject he was discussing, that suicidally depressed people are (at least in some cases) cowards.

So, one last time, without making an assumption about what he was really talking about, why is it not okay to face rebuke for calling suicidally depressed people cowards?

I'm sure Limbaugh was happy when he was doped out on pain killers.

Quote:I agree. I normally refrain from commenting on Limbaugh because I cannot force myself to listen to what he actually says, instead of relying on media versions.

once a week or so I'll listen to him on the lunch break but he's a shock jock I prefer substance shows.

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:So you're assuming that when he means depressed people he's relegating them entirely to the "something horrible inside" portion?

Let's go with the interpretation that requires the least amount of assumptions, as Occam's Razor would have it, and interpret what he said as directly talking about the subject he was discussing, that suicidally depressed people are (at least in some cases) cowards.

So, one last time, without making an assumption about what he was really talking about, why is it not okay to face rebuke for calling suicidally depressed people cowards?

Yes, because that's what makes the most sense.

He's wondering (aloud) why someone would commit suicide.  The reasons for them.  (Which is what takes the LEAST amount of assumptions, and is exactly what he said when he clarified.  I think he'd know what he meant more than you would.)

If this were a liberal news anchor, you would be applauding his every word.

Quote:Yes, because that's what makes the most sense.

He's wondering (aloud) why someone would commit suicide.  The reasons for them.  (Which is what takes the LEAST amount of assumptions, and is exactly what he said when he clarified.  I think he'd know what he meant more than you would.)

If this were a liberal news anchor, you would be applauding his every word.

I think he'd backtrack and try to frame everything he said in the most positive way once the backlash hit, so that really doesn't mean anything to me.

As for your last part, who are the liberal news anchors?

Quote:I think he'd backtrack and try to frame everything he said in the most positive way once the backlash hit, so that really doesn't mean anything to me.

As for your last part, who are the liberal news anchors?

You're joking right?

[Image: 5_RdfH.gif]

Quote:You're joking right?

Why would you think I'm joking?

Which news anchors are the liberal ones?

Shepard Smith has no right to call anyone a coward while he is still in the closet.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Nope.  Listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNQFa9AM5MI

He builds his case by stating:

1. Leftists are pessimistic by nature

2. Tying Williams to a "leftist" attitude ("it fits...a certain image the left has).

3. Paraphrases a really odd "unnamed source" stating among other things that Williams had "survivor's guilt" .

4. Comes full circle by stating that survivor's guilt is a leftist attitude.

So Williams killed himself because of his leftist attitude.  The press wasn't even mentioned in this clip.

And I'll give Shep Smith a pass, because I think he just let his emotions get the better of him.  People who have survived suicides of loved ones often have a hard time getting over it, and I've heard siblings call their own brothers and sisters cowards for offing themselves.  Don't know if it's applicable in his case, but there was something angry about the way he pretty much accused Williams that made it seem that the event hit home for him on a personal level.

Also, Smith apologized for the remark.  Something Limbaugh will never do until his sponsors start dropping him.

And of course nobody disputes that leftists are pessimistic by nature. Because that would be crazy talk.
Only a chump boos the home team!