Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Another slight?

Quote:Maybe because we continue to get slighted?
When we are in playoff contention past midseason, we will stop getting slighted.

Heisman-winning QBs that have been discussed for the past 6 months of offseason deserve their due, as does Michael Sam for people that watch more Oprah than NFL football.  The Jags just aren't very sexy right now, and I have no problem with that if it gets us some wins.

At least no one's going on about our receiver that can't stay away from the chronic or he whose name shall not be mentioned.

Though in defense of the OP and his "slight" theory, I bet there are more national stories on what he who shall not be mentioned is doing than the obvious progress the Jags are making.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Maybe because we continue to get slighted?

It's the preseason, I dont expect ESPN to be talking heavily about us maybe until Thursday when they have to show the game.

Quote:I don't feel slighted myself, but I can understand people who might. Part of being a fan is a desire to see your team recognized on some level. The fact that we haven't done much to be recognized for lately is incidental to people who feel like the coverage is majorly biased towards the large markets. As I said before though, what can you do? The team will get back to being a contender again soon and that's enough in my book.

I would figure once we actually win some games and make the playoffs we would get more exposure.

Whether someone has a liberal, or conservative viewpoint, a authoritative figure should not lock a thread for the sole purpose to get the last word in all the while prohibiting someone else from being able to respond.

4 Fun Facts:

The Jaguars play in Jacksonville which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.

The Jaguars have been poor for the last few years.

The Jaguars have no big star names on the team.

The Jaguars are relatively new to the NFL and don't have any notable historic achievements.

With that in mind, why on earth would anyone think the national media, whose job it is to appeal to NATIONAL interests, should give a monkey's left stone about the Jacksonville Jaguars?

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

Quote:It's the preseason, I dont expect ESPN to be talking heavily about us maybe until Thursday when they have to show the game.

I would figure once we actually win some games and make the playoffs we would get more exposure.

They'll talk about the Jaguars on Thursday, it'll just be very backhanded. They'll talk about how bad the team has been, they'll talk about how bad Gabbert is in San Francisco, they'll talk about how disappointing Bortles was compared to Manziel in week 1, then they'll talk about how nice it would be to have a team in London instead of Jacksonville.

Quote:4 Fun Facts:

The Jaguars are relatively new to the NFL and don't have any notable historic achievements.

With that in mind, why on earth would anyone think the national media, whose job it is to appeal to NATIONAL interests, should give a monkey's left stone about the Jacksonville Jaguars?

1.  The Titans play in Nashville, which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.  The Browns play in Cleveland, which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.

2.  The Titans have done poorly the past few years.  So have the Browns and Rams.

3.  The Titans have no big star names on their team.  Aside from Manziel and Sam, who have done nothing in the NFL to date, neither do the Browns or Rams.

4.  Cleveland v. 2.0 is newer than the Jaguars.  The tacks, disassociated themselves from the Oilers name and moniker and the city of Houston  They, too, are relatively new for all intents and purposes.

I understand if we don't get the level of coverage as the champs or high profile franchises.

But I don't find it too much to ask that if the media promises to cover the Jags in a given article, they should do it.

I don't find it too much to ask that the Jaguars are treated similarly to similarly situated franchises, free from double standards.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I'm not worried. I prefer under the radar anyways.

Quote:1.  The Titans play in Nashville, which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.  The Browns play in Cleveland, which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.

2.  The Titans have done poorly the past few years.  So have the Browns and Rams.

3.  The Titans have no big star names on their team.  Aside from Manziel and Sam, who have done nothing in the NFL to date, neither do the Browns or Rams.

4.  Cleveland v. 2.0 is newer than the Jaguars.  The tacks, disassociated themselves from the Oilers name and moniker and the city of Houston  They, too, are relatively new for all intents and purposes.

I understand if we don't get the level of coverage as the champs or high profile franchises.

But I don't find it too much to ask that if the media promises to cover the Jags in a given article, they should do it.

I don't find it too much to ask that the Jaguars are treated similarly to similarly situated franchises, free from double standards.

While all your responses are factual, do you think if we'd drafted and played Johnny Manziel, we'd have been largely ignored by the article?

This is the network that dedicated itself at one point to Tim Tebow coverage.

It won't matter if Manziel never wins a game in the NFL.  He will get more coverage than Bortles, even if Bortles surpasses Peyton Manning, Jacksonville because a large market team, and wins 5 super bowls in a row -- all while throwing no interceptions, 60+ TD's each season, and more than 6000 yards.  And the Jaguars could have 0 losses in that 5 year period.  

The headlines will still be "Johnny Football -- What went wrong with Cleveland."  and "Dallas Possible Trade Target for Johnny Football?"

This isn't a slight against Jacksonville.  It's a slight against intelligent viewers.  Peyton Manning and Tom Brady combined don't get the coverage of their media darlings.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:1.  The Titans play in Nashville, which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.  The Browns play in Cleveland, which is not a huge sprawling megalopolis.

Well there you go. They each have 1 thing we dont, a play-boy rookie QB and a gay DE, therefore they get more coverage. If we had drafted Sam or Manziel we could be getting all those articles, but we didn't. We have nothing of national interest to report on.

I'm not sure what your point is about other teams who get no coverage like the Titans. They just prove the point. Smaller city + no history + poor record + no superstars = no national coverage.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

I think Jag fans are just conditioned to look for things they feel are slighting this team.  It's like battered spouse syndrome. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

They passed on a chance to get Martez Wilson???????

[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Quote:I think Jag fans are just conditioned to look for things they feel are slighting this team.  It's like battered spouse syndrome. 

Agree completely.

It's more annoying to see Jaguar fans whining about national media coverage than the media coverage itself.

Quote:While all your responses are factual, do you think if we'd drafted and played Johnny Manziel, we'd have been largely ignored by the article?

I think the coverage would be a lot different.

For instance, I think if he were here, and he did exactly the same thing he did in Cleveland, the media would pick apart his performance instead of saying he did well.

Quote:I think Jag fans are just conditioned to look for things they feel are slighting this team.  It's like battered spouse syndrome. 
Problem is, you don't have to look for things like that.

Generally speaking, they are in your face.

Quote:I think the coverage would be a lot different.

For instance, I think if he were here, and he did exactly the same thing he did in Cleveland, the media would pick apart his performance instead of saying he did well.

Nah, he's the media darling.  He can do no wrong.  

Blake Bortles looking like he did on any big market team would garner little attention too.

I was wrong about Trent Baalke. 

Quote:I think the coverage would be a lot different.

Quote:Problem is, you don't have to look for things like that.

Both points are correct.

I don't care about ESPN or what they have to say,  but there's a clear agenda, it's not something you need to spend time vetting.

If Manziel had his 60 yard on 11 throws performance here the talk would be about what a terrible team this is and how it will hold him back from being successful and how it's unfair to him.

Quote:Many times Jaguars fans complain about the lack of coverage this team gets.  Often, these claims are met with eye rolls from people on the board.

However, when I see things like this, I wonder if there is something to the whole media bias thing.

This from last Tuesday's MMQB After Further Review from Peter King and the editor...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/05/andy-dalto...s-mailbag/

Okay...smaller market teams suffered the sports media equivalent of getting bumped from a flight.

But, as King said...news happened.  No intent to slight anyone.  We'll see next Monday.

So next Monday (Today), here is his MMQB column...

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/08/11/johnny-man...-sam-rams/

What is in it about Jacksonville?

Well...there's this comment on a tweet of the week from Hays Carlyon in page 4...

And there's this from page 5...

But that was it.

No training camp dispatch as promised.

No mention of Bortles' strong performance.

To be fair, Tampa really didn't get any mention at all.

You get a full page dedicated to the horribly overhyped and overcovered Johnny Dysfunction.

A full page devoted to the over saturated Michael Sam story.

But once again the coverage he promised was virtually nonexistent.

Another post in which a Jags fan gets all inferior feeling ...

King already did his Jaguars training camp report. He usually throws in some notes as a follow up, which he didn't do last week due to other news happening.

What makes you think he was going to add more last week than he did this week? You just sound like you're looking to be offended. Well, congratulations ...

King has been positive and complimentary toward the Jaguars. You'd think that would be appreciated, but don't let good news get in the way of a grievance. 

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:Problem is, you don't have to look for things like that.

I think it's all in how you choose to interpret things.

I don't feel slighted as a Jaguars fan in the least by this stuff.  Some people do. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Here's a basic truth: Bortles had the best performance of the rookie QBs this week. It wasn't even close. The only other guy that did as well as playing in the fourth quarter, and we know what is in the game in the fourth quarter of the first preseason game.

Here is another basic truth: the NFL and the nation in general doesn't like it that we have a team in Jacksonville. They won't talk about Jacksonville unless they have to, and when they have to do it they'll be sure to frame it in the most negative way possible.

I look forward to being the worst team ever to win a Superbowl in a few years.

Hey - when did TMD kidnap Oklahomie?

I'm not sure he actually believes such silliness. Do you?

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:4 Fun Facts:

The Jaguars are relatively new to the NFL 
and don't have any notable historic achievements.

LOL....really?.... Laughing Laughing 

20 years isn't "relatively new", even for us/ Carolina. 

I wouldn't even say that the Texans were "relatively new" to the NFL at this point.