Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Another slight?

Step 1 to getting over Little Brother Syndrome is to not give a rat's rear about what the national media says. They play favorites and all go to the same well over and over again. 5 years ago nobody talked about Seattle either. All we need to care about is filling the stands at home to make it tough on opposing teams and building a winner. It matters little if they love us or hate us. We just need to win.
Only a chump boos the home team!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

I don't know how many posters saw this... on ESPN NFL LIVE, a couple nights ago, they showed all the highlights of this past weeks pre-season games...after that was over the talk turned to Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles... each and everyone of them said Bortles out played Manziel and Bridgewater...they talked a good five minutes about Bortles and his play... they talked about the GM and HC and the great job they are doing in building this team... Herm Edwards said if Bortles developed like he has up to this point it would be hard not to start him...

All the talk about the Jags, on that show, was positive and right on the money... good things will start to be said and more and more of the Jags will be talked about when they start to win... they all agreed that the Jags seemed to be headed in the right direction... this was the most positive stuff I've seen about the Jags in years...
[url=http://home.comcast.net/~midimusic2006/mp3/sec/Tennessee__Rocky_Top.mp3][/url]</P><P>
;
 </P> <DIV class=b2></DIV>
;

Quote:Step 1 to getting over Little Brother Syndrome is to not give a rat's rear about what the national media says. They play favorites and all go to the same well over and over again. 5 years ago nobody talked about Seattle either. All we need to care about is filling the stands at home to make it tough on opposing teams and building a winner. It matters little if they love us or hate us. We just need to win.
Exactly. 

Fixating on what are perceived as slights by the media is wasted energy.  Our focus needs to be on supporting the team and working toward developing a winning tradition.  The critics will go silent when that happens. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:I don't know how many posters saw this... on ESPN NFL LIVE, a couple nights ago, they showed all the highlights of this past weeks pre-season games...after that was over the talk turned to Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles... each and everyone of them said Bortles out played Manziel and Bridgewater...they talked a good five minutes about Bortles and his play... they talked about the GM and HC and the great job they are doing in building this team... Herm Edwards said if Bortles developed like he has up to this point it would be hard not to start him...

All the talk about the Jags, on that show, was positive and right on the money... good things will start to be said and more and more of the Jags will be talked about when they start to win... they all agreed that the Jags seemed to be headed in the right direction... this was the most positive stuff I've seen about the Jags in years...
There's been quite a bit of good press about the Jaguars over the past couple of years, and discussions like this tend to get lost in the shuffle.  You could have 10 stories like this, and then one story where there's a perceived slight to the franchise or the city, and guess what will get more attention on this board?  Not the positive talk. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

QB hits the top 10, we will be Golden.  Greater things are yet to come.  It is nice to see the engine in gear.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Quote:Exactly. 

Fixating on what are perceived as slights by the media is wasted energy.  Our focus needs to be on supporting the team and working toward developing a winning tradition.  The critics will go silent when that happens. 
We as a city has done that and yet you still hear from them about we lack fans and it just gets old. Also don't you ever call us soft as a fanbase because we're just pissed off with the media's disrespect towards our franchise? We're as fans speaking out on twitter against others fighting for our good name as a team and city. Fan if you have forgotten this stands for fanatic and what you said has spit in our face because we are hardcore and passionate fans of our team. Not everyone approach the situation like you and ignore the negative noise but that doesn't means we're too sensitive or whiners because we choose to fight back towards them. I have been a season ticket holder of my team since 1997 so stop acting like you're the only one that supported the franchise throughout their tenure in Jacksonville.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Quote: 

You get a full page dedicated to the horribly overhyped and overcovered Johnny Dysfunction.

A full page devoted to the over saturated Michael Sam story.

But once again the coverage he promised was virtually nonexistent.

This is par for the course from frappe-sipping, northern liberal Peter King.  

"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

Quote:We as a city has done that and yet you still hear from them about we lack fans and it just gets old. Also don't you ever call us soft as a fanbase because we're just [BAD WORD REMOVED] off with the media's disrespect towards our franchise? We're as fans speaking out on twitter against others fighting for our good name as a team and city. Fan if you have forgotten this stands for fanatic and what you said has spit in our face because we are hardcore and passionate fans of our team. Not everyone approach the situation like you and ignore the negative noise but that doesn't means we're too sensitive or whiners because we choose to fight back towards them. I have been a season ticket holder of my team since 1997 so stop acting like you're the only one that supported the franchise throughout their tenure in Jacksonville.

If you're a fan base that whines about perceived slights in the media, that's soft.  Sorry.  This whole "disrespect" thing means you're taking it personally, and that's ridiculous. 

You keep fighting that fight on Twitter for your good name.  How's that working out for you?

Thanks for the definition of a fan.  I had no idea.  I also had no idea I had spit in your face.  Again, take things personally too much? 

Feel free to point out where I've made any such claim that I'm the only one who supported this team through the down years.  One quote will do just fine.  Otherwise, quit whining like some jilted school girl because I don't take what the media says personally.  If you do, that's your prerogative.  I've got more important things to worry about. 

Some of you (not referring to the OP because I don't think that is his motivation) just look for things to be offended by so you can play tough guy on Twitter.  Think about that. I'm as hard core and passionate about this team as any fan, and I STILL don't get offended when the media isn't fawning over the Jaguars.  It's pointless, wasted energy. 

Quote:This is par for the course from frappe-sipping, northern liberal Peter King.  

Yeah! We need more of them Good Ol' Boys writin' about who might be the third string guard for them Gators.

The sun's not yellow, it's chicken.

Quote:I'm still trying to understand the logic that leads to the conclusion that the perception of bias and commenting on that perception equates to a lack of testicles.

While I do not wish to delve in political commentary or debate, I find it interesting to note that Fox news was created to combat what some perceived to be a liberal bias in the media.

Did the conservatives who created Fox news lack testicles because they perceived a liberal bias in the media?

Do people like Rupert Murdoch, Roger Ailes, and Bill O' Reilly have inferiority complexes?

Did those who died in the Civil Rights movement for equal rights lack the requisites for maleness?

Did Gandhi need to grow a pair?

No, the stakes are not similar.  But we are not comparing severity of the bias or the stakes associated with it..  We are identifying bias and the responses to bias.

But lest you think these comparisons are inappropriate, consider...

Rush Limbaugh famously asserted McNabb is overrated because media types are rooting for black QBs to succeed. 

He commented on sports and how media bias impacts the perception of sports.

Did he lack self esteem, gonads, or both?  If all the media does is justified for pursuit of ratings, shouldn't he simply co-sign on what he perceived and went along with it?

salty... grow a pair. 

Here's the thing. I don't think fans should get overwrought about a lack of coverage from the media, but I don't mind a pissy reaction when the team gets put down in general. In fact, I wish we had more of that kind of reaction. That's not a sign of an immature fan base, it's a sign of a passionate fan base. See how new York or Steelers or Philly fans react when their team gets put down. Do they take it personally? Hell yes! And there's not one thing wrong with that.
I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:Here's the thing. I don't think fans should get overwrought about a lack of coverage from the media, but I don't mind a pissy reaction when the team gets put down in general. In fact, I wish we had more of that kind of reaction. That's not a sign of an immature fan base, it's a sign of a passionate fan base. See how new York or Steelers or Philly fans react when their team gets put down. Do they take it personally? Hell yes! And there's not one thing wrong with that.

Nor is there anything wrong with pointing out a bias in an organization who is supposed to lack bias. Granted, ratings chasing and all of that but bias is bad no matter the reason. There's a difference between being hurt over something and pointing out an injustice.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Nor is there anything wrong with pointing out a bias in an organization who is supposed to lack bias. Granted, ratings chasing and all of that but bias is bad no matter the reason. There's a difference between being hurt over something and pointing out an injustice.

I don't personally care about that so much.  In my opinion it's important to have fans that are passionate about their team but without being overly sensitive about a lack of media coverage whether perceived or real.

I'm condescending. That means I talk down to you.

Quote:salty... grow a pair. 
Great job elaborating on your logic.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:Here's the thing. I don't think fans should get overwrought about a lack of coverage from the media, but I don't mind a pissy reaction when the team gets put down in general. In fact, I wish we had more of that kind of reaction. That's not a sign of an immature fan base, it's a sign of a passionate fan base. See how new York or Steelers or Philly fans react when their team gets put down. Do they take it personally? Hell yes! And there's not one thing wrong with that.
Exactly.

Quote:Nor is there anything wrong with pointing out a bias in an organization who is supposed to lack bias. Granted, ratings chasing and all of that but bias is bad no matter the reason. There's a difference between being hurt over something and pointing out an injustice.
Precisely!

All right, you have proved your case.  This one may be a slight.

At least it's not a Florio/Cowherd insult.  It's a lazy, "I forgot about you because you're just not a high priority" attitude.  By definition, a slight.

Why can't I get worked up about this?

Quote: 

'Cause it's just such a slight slight?

Quote:All right, you have proved your case.  This one may be a slight.

At least it's not a Florio/Cowherd insult.  It's a lazy, "I forgot about you because you're just not a high priority" attitude.  By definition, a slight.

Because you, sir, have a pair.

Well, that's the word on the street...

If something can corrupt you, you're corrupted already.
- Bob Marley

[Image: kiWL4mF.jpg]

(This post was last modified: 08-13-2014, 08:47 PM by The_Anchorman.)

Quote:Hey fellow jag fans i read everyone's comments on this issue and i hope i can bring my take on this situation. I agree with bullseye not only the media wants to ignore this team but they also have venom and a lack of respect for this team and city to the point they voice misinformation without any evidence to support it. For instance, we haven't had a blackout in years but we're still the face of it why because the media wants this team to wear the dirty S on our chest. Hell, even roger goodell undressed us as a franchise during the 2009 season at the superbowl but never done the same thing for other franchises like Tampa who were in similar or worse situations during their lack of fan attendance seasons. Yeah, teams like  the Bengals or Bills or Panthers receives the same lack of coverage like jacksonville but never receive misinformation or be treated with a double standard like this team. I never seen another franchise that gotten treated with such disrespect from the media than the jacksonville jaguars and it bothers me because as fans most of us are emotionally invested in our team. I wants this franchise to receive positive coverage because we love our team and it makes us feel good about the respect we receive from them. So in all reality that's why i care about the media coverage of our franchise because other teams fans form their opinion base on it and it angers me when i have to hear people speak garbage about our team and city base on the misinformation the media gives them.   

This is a well thought out point of view.  I listen to ESPN radio every day in my office during work.  I've been doing it for years.  Let's face it, ESPN is the "media" when it comes to sports.  Whenever there is an issue regarding an NFL franchise, the go-to is the Jaguars franchise as the poster child of ineptitude.  Yes, there has been clear evidence of the ineptitude.  There is no doubt about it.  But it gets old as a fan when they (the media) base the argument on things that are unfounded....  

I honestly do believe that ESPN as "The Media" have an agenda regarding certain ways they have talked about the Jaguars over the last 4 years.  

But I honestly think that with Shad Khan becoming owner, things are changing for the better.  I've heard less negativity from the ESPN folks over the last 2 months. 

Around this time during the last 3 years, it's been MUCH worse.  

Quote:Exhibit #1 why people think Jaguars fans are overly sensitive and paranoid.

Paragraphs, man, paragraphs.

This type of response annoys me.  Here's why:  You are dismissing the valid concern of a fellow fan.  The perception of the media creates the perception of the nation, and perception is reality for the uninformed.  It's called propaganda.  I don't mean to get political, but when the media controls the message we're all in trouble.  It's worse in actual news organizations, but when it comes the Jaguars, the media is clearly pushing an agenda that is not based in fact.  But if they continue to spread these lies, eventually the entire nation believes it. 

Quote: B)

My "conspiracy theories" about Goodell don't seem so off the more you read instances like this... ^^^

Dude, I read your Goodell theory thread...  It was wack-a-doodle.  

Also, your constant self patting on the back is annoying.  You should read some books on how to make friends and influence others....  Just a suggestion.  

Quote:I don't know how many posters saw this... on ESPN NFL LIVE, a couple nights ago, they showed all the highlights of this past weeks pre-season games...after that was over the talk turned to Manziel, Bridgewater and Bortles... each and everyone of them said Bortles out played Manziel and Bridgewater...they talked a good five minutes about Bortles and his play... they talked about the GM and HC and the great job they are doing in building this team... Herm Edwards said if Bortles developed like he has up to this point it would be hard not to start him...

Great point.  I've been telling myself for a long time that the meter is pointing up.  But I think now it really is.  People are taking notice.  It's a great feeling!!!  But that doesn't squelch the concern that alot of Jags fans have regarding the non-sense that is thrown our way by the national media.

Well said.  I don't care what ESPN and the rest of the media says about you.  You are clearly not dum.

Or at least not as dum as they say you are.  Maybe you're just dum enough to be dangerous.  That's the best kind of dum.