Create Account

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Which miss (if you feel it was) bothers you the most?
Not hiring Andy Reid
Not hiring DeSean Jackson from the Eagles
Not hiring Michael Vick
Not drafting Russell Wilson or Nick Foles instead of a Punter in 3rd rnd
Not drafting JPP instead of Tyson Alualu
drafting any player other than QB (Blaine) in one of the best 1st round drafts ever
The hiring of Mularkey after letting JDR go, like how was he better?
Not retaining Maurice Jones-Drew
Not drafting TEBOW.. lol..
other state what and why
[Show Results]

What miss upsets you most on the Jaguars?

In don't understand the big deal with hiring Mularkey. He was here one year. And it led to our current situation. Mularkey was just Gene's last chance to keep his job.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:All those bad moves led to what we have now, so can't complain really. Replacing one miss with a big hit may have just extended our purgatory of mediocrity.
Hmm interesting take on it, and great point.  If Blaine had played better Gene might still be here and making worse draft picks than before...

Quote:Taking Gabbert over JJ Watt
Yeah, so much talent in that draft class and to miss so badly on all of it.

The Mularkey pick by Gene Smith was his jumping of the shark episode.  It had all the Jaguar fans shaking their heads, going what is happening here.  Then when Mularkey would kneel at the half when behind by so much in Buffalo and other games it was so embarassing....

Yet a great point brought up, if it wasnt for things like that maybe Gene would still be here making more mistakes...

Either way, I think all fans can safely say that the team is in a much better place under Dave Caldwell & Gus Bradley.  For once the team is truly rebuilding with the arrow pointing up, and I'm truly optimistic / hopeful of the teams future.  I think this year will be another building block, and next season the team will be as good as it was under the Coughlin days...

Aaron Rodgers.

'nuff said.

Not retaining MJD. Not because I think it would have been a wise business decision in the long run, but MJD was the face of the franchise throughout my middle and high school years. He was the face of the Jaguars that I knew best, and I'm gonna miss him.

Taking Joe Chustz over Tom Brady.

Dum.

Missing on a first round pick in the '11 draft. That draft is considered to be one of the best in terms of first round picks and we just happened to fall in love with not only the worst player in the first round but maybe one of the worst qb in history. It just is embarrassing to look back at the Gabbert selection along with the many very small school selections. The draft is one of my favorite events of the whole year and then it got to the point I couldn't watch anymore.
"Expect for the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalize on what comes."

Quote:Passing on Earl Thomas.

To this day I'm baffled as to why we passed on him

Thomas was the guy I wanted bad on this team. I was pissed when we didn't take him. I'm even more pissed now knowing how good he is.

Quote:Aaron Rodgers.

'nuff said.

+1.  At least one person had the correct answer. 

<FONT size=3>The secret to surfing is don't do anything.</FONT>

Not signing Drew Brees in free agency?
;

;

Drafting Gabbert instead of Watt
[Image: Brunell_sig_zps13c33193.jpg]

Tebow, we missed out of 4 straight years of stadium sellouts, and more importantly 4 straight superbowls.  New scoreboards?  They would have built a new stadium, a larger stadium 90k seats which would have all been sold out.  

Quote:+1. At least one person had the correct answer.
Didnt we draft reggie nelsom that year instead lol

Quote:Didnt we draft reggie nelsom that year instead lol

Mattloaf

In fairness, a lot of teams passed on Aaron Rodgers. He was a Tedford QB, and all of the previous Tedford QBs failed miserably. He might also have failed if he were drafted elsewhere. Who knows just how much his three years of learning in GB molded him into the QB he is today.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Drafting Blaine Gabbert

Drafting Byron Leftwich

Firing Coughlin

Drafting Eugene Monroe instead of Crabtree

Trading up for Derrick Harvey

Not retaining Vic Ketchman

Quote:Drafting Blaine Gabbert

Drafting Byron Leftwich

Firing Coughlin

Drafting Eugene Monroe instead of Crabtree

Trading up for Derrick Harvey

Not retaining Vic Ketchman

One of these things is not like others!

I voted for Mularkey, because it was the one move on that list that was a glaringly obvious fail the second it was announced. Alualu was a head-scratcher, but the draft is full of those and Mayock loved Alualu to the point that I was willing to give him a shot. I hate the Anger pick, did then and always will, but I didn't have a set "instead of" player in mind. There's no way Gene was going to draft a QB that high, as much as most of the scouting world loved Russell Wilson. Honestly, if it wasn't Anger, Gene probably would have drafted Brandon Marshall based on "info" that suggested Marshall wouldn't be there in the fifth round.

As has been pointed out, though, had Gene hired a guy who could coach his way out of a paper bag, there's an outside chance that he'd still be climbin' in our windows, snatchin' our draft picks up and trying to waste 'em. Bearing that in mind, I'll gladly tolerate the year of Mularkey in exchange for the current leadership structure. Speaking of the Gene-ius, did he ever land an NFL gig, or did he spend a Thursday in May shouting at his TV because the Jaguars took Blake Bortles while Tom Savage was still on the board?

Quote:I voted for Mularkey, because it was the one move on that list that was a glaringly obvious fail the second it was announced. Alualu was a head-scratcher, but the draft is full of those and Mayock loved Alualu to the point that I was willing to give him a shot. I hate the Anger pick, did then and always will, but I didn't have a set "instead of" player in mind. There's no way Gene was going to draft a QB that high, as much as most of the scouting world loved Russell Wilson. Honestly, if it wasn't Anger, Gene probably would have drafted Brandon Marshall based on "info" that suggested Marshall wouldn't be there in the fifth round.

As has been pointed out, though, had Gene hired a guy who could coach his way out of a paper bag, there's an outside chance that he'd still be climbin' in our windows, snatchin' our draft picks up and trying to waste 'em. Bearing that in mind, I'll gladly tolerate the year of Mularkey in exchange for the current leadership structure. Speaking of the Gene-ius, did he ever land an NFL gig, or did he spend a Thursday in May shouting at his TV because the Jaguars took Blake Bortles while Tom Savage was still on the board?

Well said.

I do wonder whatever happened to Gene Smith. He was considered a top personnel guy before he became a GM. Usually NFL guys get hired back to lower level jobs after they fail at the top spots.

"Why should I give information to you when all you want to do is find something wrong with it?"

Quote:I voted for Mularkey, because it was the one move on that list that was a glaringly obvious fail the second it was announced. Alualu was a head-scratcher, but the draft is full of those and Mayock loved Alualu to the point that I was willing to give him a shot. I hate the Anger pick, did then and always will, but I didn't have a set "instead of" player in mind. There's no way Gene was going to draft a QB that high, as much as most of the scouting world loved Russell Wilson. Honestly, if it wasn't Anger, Gene probably would have drafted Brandon Marshall based on "info" that suggested Marshall wouldn't be there in the fifth round.

You just described in the second paragraph why it wasn't a big deal.  Also, if I'm not mistaking, not only were there not a lot of stand out head coaching candidates at the time (nobody seemed to have a clue who it was going to be), but it's possible the top coaching candidates didn't want to coach under that situation anyway.  

I have a feeling Gene Smith isn't in football right now by choice.    Not saying people are banging at his door, but I don't think he's in any hurry to get back.  

I really like Gene Smith.  And still today I like the conviction in his decision making.  People always use the term "the smartest man in the room", but I admired that he made all the unpopular decisions despite all the criticism.  It ultimately didn't work, but I still respect him for that.