Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Jags vs Bucs Preseason Game 1

So can someone tell me the list of WR's that will not be playing?

I'm pretty sure it's :

Cecil, Ace, Robinson, Brown, Copeland, Doss, but there might be more I don't know of.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I'll have my eye on the offensive line. Our line always starts out slow in the preseason, coupled with basically all new starters, Coach Yarno on leave, and the questions at C & RG, there are a lot of questions there.

There was video posted on the front page yesterday featuring an interview with Marcus Stroud.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...462f100970

If you look at the :42 mark, you will see one-on-one drills featuring Clemons vs. Joeckel, where Clemons put an absolutely sick spin move on Joeckel, simultaneously giving me hope that Clemons can give us a viable pass rush and trepidation that Joeckel still has lots to learn.

At 1:25 or so, you will see Miller seemingly make short work of Brewster.

I hope our OL performs better than that.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:There was video posted on the front page yesterday featuring an interview with Marcus Stroud.

http://www.jaguars.com/media-gallery/vid...462f100970

If you look at the :42 mark, you will see one-on-one drills featuring Clemons vs. Joeckel, where Clemons put an absolutely sick spin move on Joeckel, simultaneously giving me hope that Clemons can give us a viable pass rush and trepidation that Joeckel still has lots to learn.

At 1:25 or so, you will see Miller seemingly make short work of Brewster.

I hope our OL performs better than that.

Joeckel is still a rookie for all intents and purposes.  It's better to see him facing off against a guy like Clemons and working on his technique to deal with quality pass rushers in training camp than for him to learn it on the fly when the lights go on.  I'm sure the OL as a whole will be improved over last year.  It just takes time for that to gel. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

Quote:Joeckel is still a rookie for all intents and purposes.  It's better to see him facing off against a guy like Clemons and working on his technique to deal with quality pass rushers in training camp than for him to learn it on the fly when the lights go on.  I'm sure the OL as a whole will be improved over last year.  It just takes time for that to gel. 

Of course he's basically still a rookie.

But the homer in me wants him returning to his natural LT position and looking like Boselli v. 2.0. To me, if he replicates Monroe's level of performance, I don't think we improved the position.

I know it's going to take time for the OL to gel, considering it's been rebuilt. Realizing that, however, doesn't make it any easier to watch until then for me, or hurt any less for Henne, Bortles, et al.

Quote:So can someone tell me the list of WR's that will not be playing?

I'm pretty sure it's :

Cecil, Ace, Robinson, Brown, Copeland, Doss, but there might be more I don't know of.
Brown still has a decent shot to play.  (Copeland was cut unless they re-signed/IR'ed him.  wrist injury i think)  

I expect Lee,Brown and Hurns to play Friday with Brown being questionable. 

Potential replacements for Brown are Kerry Taylor, Lamaar Thomas, Chad Bumphis -- probably in that order. 

Quote:   

Of course he's basically still a rookie.

But the homer in me wants him returning to his natural LT position and looking like Boselli v. 2.0. To me, if he replicates Monroe's level of performance, I don't think we improved the position.

I know it's going to take time for the OL to gel, considering it's been rebuilt. Realizing that, however, doesn't make it any easier to watch until then for me, or hurt any less for Henne, Bortles, et al.
There's still a learning curve involved since he basically has what?  A little more than a dozen snaps as a starting LT in the NFL?  He'll be fine, and hopefully practicing against a guy like Clemons will help that along.  I know Tony Boselli attributed a lot of his success to the fact that he had to block Tony Brackens in practice every day. 

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote:There's still a learning curve involved since he basically has what?  A little more than a dozen snaps as a starting LT in the NFL?  He'll be fine, and hopefully practicing against a guy like Clemons will help that along.  I know Tony Boselli attributed a lot of his success to the fact that he had to block Tony Brackens in practice every day. 

Well...I sure hope you are right.

I was quite confident about Joeckel when we drafted him. His struggles at RT concerned me, but took solace in the fact he was changing positions and that he would likely be more comfortable at LT. Then he got hurt.

Now he's healthy, the last thing I wanted to see was him looking like Monroe, and that's how he looked in that clip.

Again, I hope it's more a testament to what Clemons still has left in the tank than an indictment of Joeckel.

Quote:Well...I sure hope you are right.

I was quite confident about Joeckel when we drafted him. His struggles at RT concerned me, but took solace in the fact he was changing positions and that he would likely be more comfortable at LT. Then he got hurt.

Now he's healthy, the last thing I wanted to see was him looking like Monroe, and that's how he looked in that clip.

Again, I hope it's more a testament to what Clemons still has left in the tank than an indictment of Joeckel.

This is pretty much what I'm thinking. 

Joeckel will be fine in his natural position. 

Quote:How was Joekel playing last season prior to getting injured?
 He started 4 games at RT last year and looked (and admitted) to feeling out of place there.

Once Eugene Monroe was traded he was inserted at LT for the 5th game and proceeded to do a pretty good job on Robert Quinn -- for 15 plays. Then he broke his ankle. Everything you hear from the teams sounds positive in regards to his skill but he still is a bit of an unknown.

Offense:

Bortles first and foremost. Lee , D-Rob , Linder and Joeckel honorable mentions.

Defense:

Telvin Smith will be my main focus. Ryan Davis , McCray, Gratz , Chris Smith , Cyp honorable mentions

Quote:Well...I sure hope you are right.

I think it's a little bit of both. While Joeckel was drafted second overall he saw very limited time at LT before going down with injury. He is still learning a great deal especially from someone like Clemons. This team did not have a guy like Clemons last year for Joeckel to compete with. The closest was probably Babin.

On the other side of things I think Clemons is gonna be a dang good player for the Jags. He's farther removed from his ACL injury and looks to be close to his old form. 

Both guys will be fine and Joeckel is going to learn a lot from Clemons on the daily.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Quote:I think it's a little bit of both. While Joeckel was drafted second overall he saw very limited time at LT before going down with injury. He is still learning a great deal especially from someone like Clemons. This team did not have a guy like Clemons last year for Joeckel to compete with. The closest was probably Babin.

On the other side of things I think Clemons is gonna be a dang good player for the Jags. He's farther removed from his ACL injury and looks to be close to his old form. 

Both guys will be fine and Joeckel is going to learn a lot from Clemons on the daily.
Clemens has looked awfully healthy out there, so I think we can put the ACL to rest.  He looks to be in great shape, so hopefully he'll have enough in the tank to really give us a boost.  I think Joeckel will benefit greatly from practicing against him.

(This post was last modified: 08-06-2014, 05:05 PM by FBT.)

Quote:Clemens has looked awfully healthy out there, so I think we can put the ACL to rest.  He looks to be in great shape, so hopefully he'll have enough in the tank to really give us a boost.  I think Joeckel will benefit greatly from practicing against him.

I think we can put the ACL to rest.  He is a veteran and savvy one at that.  He knows how to school rooks and play hard but not to the extreme in training camp.  He isn't going 100% like he will on 3rd and long this season.  Given his age and the ACL injury we won't know how he is holding up until a couple games into the season.

Is anybody else excited to see how Linder performs Friday? He is going Friday night isn't he?

Living across the country I haven't been to any practices but from every video on Jaguars.com he has looked pretty stout. That's obviously no way to know but I want to see the guy in live action.

"Sucess Is Not a Goal, It is a By-product"

Aside from the line play to see where we're at, I am really interested in seeing how Telvin Smith does in live game situations.  I think he's a guy who will play with a chip on his shoulder.

On the offense, I want to see the young receivers on the field to see where we're at as a unit.  I also want to watch that battle for Gerhart's backup to see who steps up and starts to fill that role. 

Quote:Is anybody else excited to see how Linder performs Friday? He is going Friday night isn't he?

Living across the country I haven't been to any practices but from every video on Jaguars.com he has looked pretty stout. That's obviously no way to know but I want to see the guy in live action.

I relayed a tweet a few days ago about Linder beating Red Bryant twice in individual drills. That got me pretty excited, and he seems to be locking up the starting position too -- all good signs.

Quote:I relayed a tweet a few days ago about Linder beating Red Bryant twice in individual drills. That got me pretty excited, and he seems to be locking up the starting position too -- all good signs.
Lageman pretty much confirmed yesterday on the radio that he'd all but secured the starting position barring injury. 

Quote: He started 4 games at RT last year and looked (and admitted) to feeling out of place there.

Once Eugene Monroe was traded he was inserted at LT for the 5th game and proceeded to do a pretty good job on Robert Quinn -- for 15 plays. Then he broke his ankle. Everything you hear from the teams sounds positive in regards to his skill but he still is a bit of an unknown.
Looking forward to watching him play.  I remember him going #2 a couple of years ago and all the talk about him.  

Quote:Well I honestly don't expect much offense on Friday night from both starting offenses. Tampa has a new Center,Left guard and I believe they released Ot Donald Penn earlier this offseason. Jags oline vConfused Tampa Dline could be interesting as well. Michael Johnson and Gerald MCcoy are pretty good. I'm not gonna be able to watch this game but be interested to see Jaguars.com coverage and read forums. Go Jaguars and let's stay healthy on Friday Knight.
For 20 dollars you can get all the preseason games streamed live and recorded until

september I think. Quite the deal since in OK I wouldn't be able to see any Jags games. just check it out on NFL.com

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:For 20 dollars you can get all the preseason games streamed live and recorded until

september I think. Quite the deal since in OK I wouldn't be able to see any Jags games. just check it out on NFL.com

Yes. I've been doing the preseason package at NFL.com since they started offering it a few years back.  It's kinda awesome.