Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
John Madden's Thoughts in the NFL's Heads Up Football Program

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...l-program/

I only caught part of the interview on NFL Network this morning but Madden was making a heck of a case and I tend to agree with him.  I know some around here are not a fan of the commissioner for a number of reasons.  I'm a bit surprised they let Madden tear into the program like that, let alone with the commissioner sitting right there.

What do you think?  Are we starting kids with tackle football too young?  With the increase in the amount of attention concussions and head injuries have gotten over the past several years, I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more opposition than it has.  

Locally we had a flag football program when I was that age, you didn't start tackle football until 7th grade.  Around the time I graduated they started a new program for tackle football for younger children and got rid of flag football all together.  

I'm also a little surprised to learn that the Heads Up program is only 90 minutes long.  That doesn't seem like enough time to teach anyone all that needs to be taught in that area.  Yes, some in the program likely have some experience with coaching and tackling.  Though, if you came into the program as a beginner and knew little about tackling, what are you going to learn in 90 minutes?

Thoughts?

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/201...l-program/

I only caught part of the interview on NFL Network this morning but Madden was making a heck of a case and I tend to agree with him.  I know some around here are not a fan of the commissioner for a number of reasons.  I'm a bit surprised they let Madden tear into the program like that, let alone with the commissioner sitting right there.

What do you think?  Are we starting kids with tackle football too young?  With the increase in the amount of attention concussions and head injuries have gotten over the past several years, I'm surprised this hasn't gotten more opposition than it has.  

Locally we had a flag football program when I was that age, you didn't start tackle football until 7th grade.  Around the time I graduated they started a new program for tackle football for younger children and got rid of flag football all together.  

I'm also a little surprised to learn that the Heads Up program is only 90 minutes long.  That doesn't seem like enough time to teach anyone all that needs to be taught in that area.  Yes, some in the program likely have some experience with coaching and tackling.  Though, if you came into the program as a beginner and knew little about tackling, what are you going to learn in 90 minutes?

Thoughts?

I agree completely with Madden and your analysis.

I am not a fan of Goodell's.  I think many of his solutions are reactionary and ill conceived-even if well intentioned.  Madden exposed this one.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

I can tell you this, Heads Up Tackling is junk tackling. It causes smaller players to get hurt and then compromise their form.

No one has ever answered the question of "how does a smaller player effectively use this technique to take down a larger player?" and that worries me.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

Quote:Are we starting kids with tackle football too young?  W
Yes.

Quote: I think many of his solutions are reactionary and ill conceived-even if well intentioned.  

This I would agree with.

Quote:I can tell you this, Heads Up Tackling is junk tackling. It causes smaller players to get hurt and then compromise their form.

No one has ever answered the question of "how does a smaller player effectively use this technique to take down a larger player?" and that worries me.

I agree, Deacon.  The program itself appears to be junk as well.  Unfortunately Goodell likely will continue the program, no matter how well guys like John Madden poke holes in it.

Teaching the techniques is really not that hard, but my concern is that the techniques are really poorly designed. If you talk to any youth coach worth his salt, and there really ain't that many out there, they'll tell you that the technique basically sets the Defense back in terms of being able to stop a player. There are other much more effective ways to teach tackling, that isn't one of them.

I do agree that there is no way in the world a six-year old should be donning pads and I like the idea of starting contact around the ten year mark. Of course, High School coaches are going to lose their mind if this ever happens, but so be it.

I'm trying to make myself more informed and less opinionated.

Stop saying whatever stupid thing you're talking about and pay attention to all the interesting things I have to say!

I agree with Madden and the rest of you here.

Inherently the problem with football is it simply is a dangerous sport and it needs to be undertaken with that understanding. Children younger than high school age shouldn't even be playing tackle football, and high school age children should require release acknowledgement that their minds are quite likely to be injured by playing the sport.

The whole heads up football program is a PR campaign by an organization that somehow qualifies as non profit.

I love football as a sport, and I love watching it played, and I think anyone that claims they didn't think playing football could cause brain injury is just lying to try to get some money after their career is over. It's something that needs to stop. The retired player case should have been thrown out of court, but the NFL should provide medical care for their players the rest of their unnaturally short lives.

Quote:Yes.

No doubt.

There are leagues in Jax that allow five year olds to play tackle football. It's sick.

Quote:I agree completely with Madden and your analysis.

I am not a fan of Goodell's.  I think many of his solutions are reactionary and ill conceived-even if well intentioned.  Madden exposed this one.

Agreed.
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
[Image: attachment.php?aid=59]

The Comish as an economics graduate....  it is not just about the money, it is about marketing and reinforcing the brand.  At least Play 60 is worthwhile.

The Khan Years

Patience, Persistence, and Piss Poor General Managers.

Goodell calls together a panel of experts and one tells him exactly what he thinks, so he of course will ignore any statement which might contradict his grand vision and double down on this.
Only a chump boos the home team!

Whether you head is up or down, if you are playing football properly you will take impacts to the head. Heads up football gives a dangerous sport a veneer of safety that doesn't exist.

Its not even like boxing where if you are really good you can avoid head blows, everyone except kickers, punters and QBs are expected to initiate contact at some point in a football game which means hitting your head.

With that in mind it is hard to justify full contact football for children below a certain age. There is no protecting the brain in football, all that can be done is to make the risks clear and for an age to be agreed on when kids can make an informed decision.

I don't blame Goodell. He didn't design the program, his job is to protect the financial interest of the game and that's what he is doing.

Quote:Just to be different, Bortles.

While I agree with Madden that kids as young as 6 are way too young to be wearing pads and tackling, is it the NFL that is forcing leagues/schools to wear pads and play tackle instead of flag? The NFL's Heads Up program is a prevention program for those leagues that will allow to children and teens to play tackle football.

Quote:Whether you head is up or down, if you are playing football properly you will take impacts to the head. Heads up football gives a dangerous sport a veneer of safety that doesn't exist.

Its not even like boxing where if you are really good you can avoid head blows, everyone except kickers, punters and QBs are expected to initiate contact at some point in a football game which means hitting your head.

With that in mind it is hard to justify full contact football for children below a certain age. There is no protecting the brain in football, all that can be done is to make the risks clear and for an age to be agreed on when kids can make an informed decision.

I don't blame Goodell. He didn't design the program, his job is to protect the financial interest of the game and that's what he is doing.

There's also research and studies out there that seem to indicate that its not necessarily the big/jarring hits that is a problem. While those certainly causes concussion due to the violent impacts, even just the regular, small but repeated impacts from practice have a cumulative effect on one's brain.