Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Plea for Sanity

Quote:I don't look at this draft class as any less just because most of the rookies aren't starters immediately. In fact I don't even like rookies to be starters right off the bat. I prefer for them to get limited snaps at first and have their actual play in games from that point earn any future promotion to starter. 

Well, I know there are people who are not as patient. 

I remember having "immediate impact" discussions on this board over the years.

As for me, I don't particularly mind rookies starting if they have proven to be the best player at their position, but I understand that is unusual, and as a general rule, undesirable.

But whether the rookies are brought along slowly or fast tracked, I just hope we got the picks right. 

I saw a segment on NFL Network last night that talked about how all but two of the Packers' starters were drafted by the team.

I would like that here, with a comparable or higher level of success, of course.

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:Playoffs or Gus and Dave should be fired and Khan should consider firing himself. (Sadly someone believes this.)
Do not even joke about this

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Quote:Deep thought Bullseye.

I see Shad building something like Dallas had in the 90's. Get a QB that can take a hit(Bortles/Aikman). Get a RB that is hard to pull down(Gerhart/Smith). Get a WR that can make big plays(Hurns/Irvin). Win games week after week by playing tough defense. And finally make the Jaguars Americas Team by branding our logo like Dallas did to that stupid blue star.
Big Dallas fan during the 90's in OK before moving to FL in 2001 and becoming a Jags season tix holder for 9 years before moving back to OK. While it is true what you write you left out a key part to that offense which was TE Jay Novacek Aikman's favorite 3'rd down target and overall safety valve. Over his 6 seasons with Dallas he averaged about 10.5 ypc and was a first down machine. After he left the team Aikmon never looked the same without someone to fill the void left by Novacek. Dallas went 13 seasons without a playoff win after Novacek left, but Aikmon's concussions plus losing Irving and Smith after a couple of seasons didn't help either. They were in beast mode during the early 90's there's no denying.

"If this team gets lessons from losing they should all be Einsteins by now."---Jaguarmvp

"Football is not played on paper, its played inside Televisions"---Random Poster BCC

Caldwell mentioned during the offseason that it was a goal not to be forced into playing so many rookies right away.

And personally, in regards to the first depth chart, I think they're doing a courtesy to some of the vets by listing them first. I fully expect some of the rookies to move up by the time things get really real.

Quote:Big Dallas fan during the 90's in OK before moving to FL in 2001 and becoming a Jags season tix holder for 9 years before moving back to OK. While it is true what you write you left out a key part to that offense which was TE Jay Novacek Aikman's favorite 3'rd down target and overall safety valve. Over his 6 seasons with Dallas he averaged about 10.5 ypc and was a first down machine. After he left the team Aikmon never looked the same without someone to fill the void left by Novacek. Dallas went 13 seasons without a playoff win after Novacek left, but Aikmon's concussions plus losing Irving and Smith after a couple of seasons didn't help either. They were in beast mode during the early 90's there's no denying.

I was a Dallas fan before the Jaguars were around and you hit the nail on the head with this.

The Dallas teams of that era were also instructive in terms of bringing in rookies later.  Dallas really began to turn things around in 1991 when four rookies-WR Alvin Harper, RT Erik Williams, LB Dixon Edwards, and DT Russell Maryland-were inserted into the starting lineup midseason of that year.  They went on to win the last five games of the season and reach the playoffs as a wild card.

If we truly hit on our draft the way most of us think we did, we could see guys like Bortles, Telvin Smith and Linder put into the starting lineup midseason and make contributions.  I could also see Colvin make an impact in 2015 and make us a stronger team.

Quote:Caldwell mentioned during the offseason that it was a goal not to be forced into playing so many rookies right away.

And personally, in regards to the first depth chart, I think they're doing a courtesy to some of the vets by listing them first. I fully expect some of the rookies to move up by the time things get really real.
What vets do you think are in trouble of being supplanted on the depth chart by rookies? 

I have been unable to make any of the practices.  Though my gut tells me a few things,  I will reserve judgment on this at least until after the Tampa game.

Quote:What vets do you think are in trouble of being supplanted on the depth chart by rookies? 

I have been unable to make any of the practices.  Though my gut tells me a few things,  I will reserve judgment on this at least until after the Tampa game.

Specifically -- McClendon at RG, Ryan Davis for 3rd LEO, and Prosinski for 2nd SS.

I meant more in general terms though. Wherever there seems to be a battle they gave the nod to the vet every time.

Quote:Specifically -- McClendon at RG, Ryan Davis for 3rd LEO, and Prosinski for 2nd SS.

I meant more in general terms though. Wherever there seems to be a battle they gave the nod to the vet every time.

I can see this happening, but I want to see the new guys in action before making any definitive statements.

I will say Alualu-based solely upon what I've read-seems to be having a good camp.

If Henne is the quarterback then please run the ball more.

I'm with you Bullseye, but I'm sure you know better than I that pleas for sanity around here are futile.  

Quote:I'm with you Bullseye, but I'm sure you know better than I that pleas for sanity around here are futile.  
Hope springs eternal...sometimes against my better judgment and all available evidence.

Ever notice it's like swallowing acid for The Disney Sports Channel to say good things about the Jags, so my hope for the season is that we do enough good things this season that we re-create the scene from Raiders of The Lost Ark for Mickey Mouse Sports Network
A good loser is a good loser

They said relax Toby Gerhart will play as good as Mojo did when Mojo was healthy, and then Toby misses practices due to an injury (Insert panic now?)

They said relax with the draft steals of Lee & Robinson added to the existing Shorts III, Sanders, and eventually Blackmon the WR core is looking great.  Then Sanders admits to using drugs after failing the test again leading to him missing 4 games, Blackmon gets arrested again so wont see him for awhile if ever, Shorts gets injured again missing several weeks.  Both the rookies are injured but Lee might play this friday.   (panic now?)

They said our Defense is turning around fast and our SS Jonathan Cyprien is going to explode into the star we all knew he was this year, and then we find out he's injured too and Big Red is declaring that he's making mistakes at stopping the run and having practice stopped so they can fix all the mistakes (panic now?)

No, we do not panic.   We simply understand that the team is void in Talent.  It will require another year before this team has chances at making the playoffs.  This is a learning year, and as long as none of the injuries are serious (Career ending, or career altering) then things are half full.

Quoting a statistic i just made up, almost 50% of the population suffers from insanity. 

Me, I revel in it...

:pirate: 

Go Jags- Start Bortles.