Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
A Plea for Sanity

Quote:All I said is that I don't believe they will be able to pass more with the inexperience of the offense even though Fisch said he would like to.

If you can't read a dissenting opinion without getting your panties in a wad then you don't need to be posting on a message board.

That's funny you say that because you are the one who appears to be getting defensive with the "panties in a wad" comment.  All I asked is what you weren't understanding about my comments so I could try to explain it a different way.

In order to rebuild, you have to destroy.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Quote:I saw something earlier saying they were looking for a 58-42 run pass ratio.

Specifically, it was April 28, 2014.

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...on-1010xl/

I know generally speaking it is very bad form to cite your own thread as proof of something, but there were others in the thread who heard the interview (Shack Del Rio and FBT) who did not contradict my initial post on that point.
We passed 61% of the time last year so to be more balanced we would definitely have to run the ball more.

Quote:We passed 61% of the time last year so to be more balanced we would definitely have to run the ball more.

Keyword YEARS past.  Last year was Fisch's first year so I am not saying that is the norm for him.  One season is too small a sample size for me to base this year off of.  As I said before and will say again, I fully expect them to pass more than they did in YEARS past.  In case you don't understand that, it is my opinion and what I expect.  It doesn't mean that is what they will actually do.  It is what I expect and would like.

Quote:That's funny you say that because you are the one who appears to be getting defensive with the "panties in a wad" comment.  All I asked is what you weren't understanding about my comments so I could try to explain it a different way.
I guess you didn't understand Fisch's comments. We passed 61% of the time last year. To be more balanced we would have to run the ball more than last year.

Fisch basically said we will be running the ball more this year.

Quote:I guess you didn't understand Fisch's comments. We passed 61% of the time last year. To be more balanced we would have to run the ball more than last year.

Fisch basically said we will be running the ball more this year.

Go back and read what I wrote.  I never said Fisch would pass more this year than last year (Thanks for putting words in my mouth though).  I said I expect them to pass more than YEARS past.  That includes more than just last year (you know with the word years being plural so it means more than one).  I also said I do not base last year's run/pass ratio as the standard for Fisch.  One year is too small of a sample size to say that is how he will be all the time.  

Quote:Keyword YEARS past.  Last year was Fisch's first year so I am not saying that is the norm for him.  One season is too small a sample size for me to base this year off of.  As I said before and will say again, I fully expect them to pass more than they did in YEARS past.  In case you don't understand that, it is my opinion and what I expect.  It doesn't mean that is what they will actually do.  It is what I expect and would like.
Last year is the only years past for Fisch, so that could be the only one possible he could be referring to when he said he wants to be more balanced.

So based on Fisch's comments saying he wants to be more balanced, we will be running the ball more despite the draft picks on receivers.

Just face it, you are trying to argue and you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Quote:Last year is the only years past for Fisch, so that could be the only one possible he could be referring to when he said he wants to be more balanced.

So based on Fisch's comments saying he wants to be more balanced, we will be running the ball more despite the draft picks on receivers.

Just face it, you are trying to argue and you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

It's my opinion and you are trying to argue my opinion.  That never works.  It's so hard to have a decent conversation with people on this board which is why I rarely post.  People get so defensive so fast and start with the "panties in a wad stuff" and putting words in others mouths.  It's actually pretty ridiculous.

Quote:Did you really just say our #6 receiver is our Irvin?
 Yup. Just keep watching. More to come under the Plea for Sanity thread.

I ain't no monkey... I'm an ape. Banana

Quote:It's my opinion and you are trying to argue my opinion.  That never works.  It's so hard to have a decent conversation with people on this board which is why I rarely post.  People get so defensive so fast and start with the "panties in a wad stuff" and putting words in others mouths.  It's actually pretty ridiculous.
You expressed your opinion on the subject and I expressed my opinion that was counter to yours.

You were the one who began arguing your opinion so I argued mine back.

It's a message board, it is designed for people to post and then get rebuttal. If you don't like that, don't post on message boards.

(This post was last modified: 08-05-2014, 10:37 AM by Predator.)

Quote:I saw something earlier saying they were looking for a 58-42 run pass ratio.

Specifically, it was April 28, 2014.

http://jungle.jaguars.com/index.php?/top...on-1010xl/

I know generally speaking it is very bad form to cite your own thread as proof of something, but there were others in the thread who heard the interview (Shack Del Rio and FBT) who did not contradict my initial post on that point.
Ahh, you misquoted yourself. It should be a 58-42 pass to run ratio which means we still plan on passing more than rushing but expect to increase the amount of rushing compared to last year.

Quote:You expressed your opinion on the subject and I expressed my opinion that was counter to yours.

You were the one who began arguing your opinion so I argued mine back.

It's a message board, it is designed for people to post and then get rebuttal. If you don't like that, don't post on message boards.

"Panties in a wad" is not rebuttal.

Quote:This past May, just about every Jaguars fan-at least just about every one on this board-was absolutely stoked about the Jaguars draft class.  The possibility of the team's future passing game being built within the first three picks of the draft, with a big new mobile QB at 3, and steals at WR in the second round with Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson was enough to make the hopes of Jaguars fans soar.  Although we all knew they had to prove it on the field, we couldn't wait to see these guys in uniform.

With the start of training camp already behind us and the first preseason games but a few days away, the rubber is beginning to meet the road.  The team has stated they will bring Bortles along slowly.  Lee has dealt with drops and injuries at various points, and Robinson continues to deal with hamstring issues.  The team released a tentative initial depth chart, and as of now, the draft class most of us saw as promising shows only WR Marqise Lee as a rookie starter on either side of the ball.

Given this team's woeful performances over the past few years, the desire for immediate positive impact from the rookies is strong.  Given the depth chart at this stage, there may be doubt creeping into some minds about just how strong this draft class is.  Some may be tempted to declare this draft class something of a disappointment because there is only one starter at the moment or to otherwise hit the panic button.

If you value reason and sanity...don't.  There are reasons why the draft class is not a disappointment-even if there is only one opening day starter from it.

First, it is partially by design.  The team has been steadfast thus far in saying Bortles will not start until 2015.  While we are all in a hurry to see the Jaguars land their first true franchise QB and hope Bortles is that guy, the fact is Bortles will likely need time to develop into that player.  Arguably the greatest pure passer in history, Dan Marino, was known as one of the few QBs to make an impact as a rookie.  But he wasn't an opening day starter.  Neither was another QB known for having a huge rookie impact-Big Ben.  Aaron Rodgers, Steve McNair and Carson Palmer also sat early.  But their failure to be opening day starters their rookie seasons didn't make them missed picks.  Sitting them early wasn't necessarily a mistake, either.  Coaches like Don Shula and Bill Cowher made the decisions to not play their rookie QBs opening day...and the Packers have been a fairly successful franchise over the last 20 years.  It won't be the end of the world-or the Jaguars-to not have Bortles play early.

Secondly, it may be a numbers game.  The Jaguars plan to be a predominantly running team.  This will likely mean more 2 back 2 WR sets than a more pass oriented team.  This will likely mean, barring an unusually strong performance by Robinson in the remainder of the preseason once he's healthy, Robinson will be the 3rd WR.  But that doesn't mean he won't be an immediate impact player.  Teams often run 3 WR sets, and if the team struggles early like I believe they will, Robinson will see a lot of action early even if he isn't a starter.

Finally, rookies-even non QBs- can often take time to adjust to the game.  Aside from the reams of evidence showing it takes a while for receivers to adjust to the NFL game, rookies develop at different paces.  A rookie not ready to start opening day can be a quality starter by midseason.  Guys we pinned our hopes on like Linder and the Smiths may be situational guys or reserves early, but may find themselves in the starting lineup later and be quality contributors.  Their status as week 1 reserves is not necessarily indicative of an inability to play.

I know we all want the team to be better YESTERDAY.  But it is going to take time, and there may be the occasional step back by some of these guys.  So if you are inclined to panic or surrender the season or their careers because they aren't week one starters, do them, the board and yourselves a favor...don't!

I don't look at this draft class as any less just because most of the rookies aren't starters immediately. In fact I don't even like rookies to be starters right off the bat. I prefer for them to get limited snaps at first and have their actual play in games from that point earn any future promotion to starter. 

Quote:"Panties in a wad" is not rebuttal.
That came after my multiple rebuttals gave you a hissy fit.

Quote:That came after my multiple rebuttals gave you a hissy fit.

Nothing gave me a hissy fit.  As I already stated, I asked what you didn't understand so I could post it a different way for you to understand.  That isn't a hissy fit.  "Panties in a wad" however is a hissy fit.  

I'm not going to argue with you about this anymore.  It is derailing the thread, and it actually doesn't appear it can be cleared up any more.  

Quote:Go back and read what I wrote. I never said Fisch would pass more this year than last year (Thanks for putting words in my mouth though). I said I expect them to pass more than YEARS past. That includes more than just last year (you know with the word years being plural so it means more than one). I also said I do not base last year's run/pass ratio as the standard for Fisch. One year is too small of a sample size to say that is how he will be all the time.
I think another way to put it (IMO) is that we will have a more sucessful passing attack this year.

Quote:I think another way to put it (IMO) is that we will have a more sucessful passing attack this year.

That is a good way to put it.  I agree with that.  I feel with what we have added in the draft the passing game will become more successful sooner rather than later.  I do understand it will take a little bit of time for everyone to get used to playing together and the scheme.  Also the rookies will need to get used to the speed of the game, which could take 3 games or it could take all year, each person is different.  

Quote:Ahh, you misquoted yourself. It should be a 58-42 pass to run ratio which means we still plan on passing more than rushing but expect to increase the amount of rushing compared to last year.
D'oh!

Worst to 1st.  Curse Reversed!

Quote:That is a good way to put it. I agree with that. I feel with what we have added in the draft the passing game will become more successful sooner rather than later. I do understand it will take a little bit of time for everyone to get used to playing together and the scheme. Also the rookies will need to get used to the speed of the game, which could take 3 games or it could take all year, each person is different.
another huge point of contingency is if all our starting receivers can stay healthy. I think if Shorts (big IF) can stay healthy it will great help the rookies. Also, if Gerhorse has a good season and the running game works out as planned that will also benefit the passing game. I just hope Henne starts taking some Shots down field.

Quote:another huge point of contingency is if all our starting receivers can stay healthy. I think if Shorts (big IF) can stay healthy it will great help the rookies. Also, if Gerhorse has a good season and the running game works out as planned that will also benefit the passing game. I just hope Henne starts taking some Shots down field.

Yeah, good points there.  I may be wrong but it seems outside of training camp Shorts gets hurt at the end of the year (concussions/other injuries).  Even if he gets hurt at that point in the year (which I am in no way hoping he does, but if) I feel that there would have been solid time with the two rookies we drafted which is always a bonus.  In actuality I hope Shorts can go all year without an injury as that would be the best case for our team this year.

As far as Gerhart, I don't think he will let us down this year.  I think he will come in and do what we expect as long as the expectations are realistic.  It's hard to imagine what it would feel like if we had a run game that opened up a decent passing game.  It seems so long since we have had anything of the sort.

We could only win 4 games again and be a better team. The team last year did not deserve to even win 3. There are still many positions to overhaul and the core of the team is very young.

I just want to see the young players make some plays. If chad is the QB there is no way we win over 5 games. Henne is what he is.